PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Just an observation after living in New England for the past 3 years..

Out East, it definitely feels like things tend to trend better in the days leading up to the event and things often surprised to the upside. Out here (raised in Portland, now in Seattle), seems to be the opposite. The suffering is real 😂

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

High temps tomorrow and Tuesday.    

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1494400 (1).png

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1580800 (5).png

Non event now in terms of temps. Mid 30’s for me? That’s like the last few days here. This thing has sure taken a dump. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, bishbish777 said:

Just an observation after living in New England for the past 3 years..

Out East, it definitely feels like things tend to trend better in the days leading up to the event and things often surprised to the upside. Out here (raised in Portland, now in Seattle), seems to be the opposite. The suffering is real 😂

Worth mentioning that the event last December trended better as it approached.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Non event now in terms of temps. Mid 30’s for me? That’s like the last few days here. This thing has sure taken a dump. 

That high on Tuesday might be late morning there... you are in a good spot for snow Tuesday afternoon.  

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

High temps on Wednesday... a couple degrees warmer than 00Z run for Seattle but still plenty cold.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1667200 (2).png

Looks slightly cooler down here, but I could be wrong. Seemed like last night was low 40s up to PDX.

• Like 4

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Looks slightly cooler down here, but I could be wrong. Seemed like last night was low 40s up to PDX.

Yeah I’m thinking the small bump north with the Tuesday system, while impactful for snow in the Puget sound, doesn’t do a lot to change the big picture. 

• Like 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Looks about the same or slightly warmer for high temps in the Willamette Valley

Yeah safe to say Portland is out of the running for Tuesday. I think our focus is all on if that cold air actually arrives as modeled and how deep we can get that cold pool ahead of the transition event. 

As Justin said before, I think the models sometimes adjust and see the deeper than expected cold pool from these east wind CAA events 36-48 hours out. We do much better here once the cold air is already in place anyway and the trend is good for now. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

High temps on Wednesday... a couple degrees warmer than 00Z run for Seattle but still plenty cold.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-1667200 (2).png

The runs not a total loss still shows us getting some snow at the start and then some decent cold and snow sticks around on during the backside of the front moving south. Still hard to say what happens still not in full agreement on the models where the low will actually come in but I think the euro will probably be right. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Perturbed Member said:

Yeah safe to say Portland is out of the running for Tuesday. I think our focus is all on if that cold air actually arrives as modeled and how deep we can get that cold pool ahead of the transition event. 

As Justin said before, I think the models sometimes adjust and see the deeper than expected cold pool from these east wind CAA events 36-48 hours out. We do much better here once the cold air is already in place anyway and the trend is good for now. 

Totally agree, but the somewhat worrisome thing here is the delay in bringing the real cold into the Columbia River basin.

The weaker push of very cold air south on Monday/Tuesday, and the if the low Tuesday does indeed come in stronger and further north on Tuesday, is not what you want to see at this point.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, bishbish777 said:

Still a couple days out for Tues/Wed, low placement could easily shift again by tomorrow. Interesting that the GFS and NAM dont have it as much of an organized system at this point. 

For the Seattle area it will probably come down to watching it in real time before we know precisely what will happen.   Easier forecast to the north and south. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Totally agree, but the somewhat worrisome thing here is the delay in bringing the real cold into the Columbia River basin.

The weaker push of very cold air south on Monday/Tuesday, and the if the low Tuesday does indeed come in stronger and further north on Tuesday, is not what you want to see at this point.

This thought crossed my mind too. But how much did the low shift for Tuesday on the Euro. 20 miles? That has a big impact for snow in populated areas on the Puget sound but doesn’t do a lot to change the big picture for cold air movement in the region. Now if that low shifted to the northern tip of Vancouver island....let’s hope that doesn’t happen.

• Like 6

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes