PNW January 2023 Observations and Discussion

Requiem

ECMWF shows it stays basically dry down here until Friday morning... and the low clouds don't come back until then either except for the far northern areas like Vancouver Island and up around Bellingham and SW BC.    The clouds over the next 3 days are just at the mid and high level down here with maybe some filtered sun at times.

• Like 1
  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

24F outside and yesterday was subfreezing but no frost. DP is probably very low.

• Shivering 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

There is snow on the ground at SEA as well.     Just a couple random snowflakes here... assuming the air is drier out here this morning.  

518vc00252 (1).jpg

• Like 4
  • Snow 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Solid dusting now!

D0C7214D-0C9F-4401-83DF-2D4FEC73B210.jpeg

So this is the second time in 3 days that you have done better than my area... very cool!  

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Given that the models I was looking at forecast amounts down to 0.2 cm (which is basically just a skiff), and how only a few outliers showed anything as far south as Seattle, I would say that yes, the models missed this one for the Seattle metro area.

The south Sound area is actually doing better than places to the north of there.    The east side of Seattle and up through Everett/Marysville looks pretty much dry.     The models were very close... but I think slightly higher dewpoints helped out in SW King County and northern Pierce County in terms of precip reaching the ground.  

Just now, TT-SEA said:

The south Sound area is actually doing better than places to the north of there.    The east side of Seattle and up through Everett/Marysville looks pretty much dry.     The models were very close... but I think slightly higher dewpoints helped out in SW King County and northern Pierce County in terms of precip reaching the ground.  

I remember people being worried about the south Sound donut hole on some runs in late November. Been kind of the opposite since!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

The south Sound area is actually doing better than places to the north of there.    The east side of Seattle and up through Everett/Marysville looks pretty much dry.     The models were very close... but I think slightly higher dewpoints helped out in SW King County and northern Pierce County.

I had a feeling last night this was gonna be an over performer. Snowing good in Kent currently but it shouldn’t last too much longer

• Like 1

Just now, Doinko said:

I remember people being worried about the south Sound donut hole on some runs in late November. Been kind of the opposite since!

In certain situations that area actually does better... good examples on Saturday and this morning.  

• Like 1

We have a little dusting here now.  Certainly cold enough for every flake to stick.

• Like 3
  • Snow 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The GFS keeps the MJO wave quite a bit stronger than the ECMWF.  If the GFS is right we should do fine next month.  With MJO the GEFS and EPS have about the same skill.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

The GFS keeps the MJO wave quite a bit stronger than the ECMWF.  If the GFS is right we should do fine next month.  With MJO the GEFS and EPS have about the same skill.

Wow, you are almost up there with Phil in that post when it comes to acronym density.

• Excited 1
  • lol 5
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Late February.   

Interestingly following the cycle of cold/snowy weather towards the end of each month this winter.  

Decent amount of snow covering favored and untreated surfaces in Rainier Valley of Seattle. Very nice little surprise.

• Like 4

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"