May Weather in the Pacific Northwest

For as troughy as the 12Z ECMWF was... it shows less than .25 at PDX and only .30 at SEA for the next 10 days.

Strange.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

12Z EPS shows a deep trough in the day 7-9 period and then warms up after that... but (as Jesse mentioned) it seems to pick up on troughs better in the 7-10 day range.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

For as troughy as the 12Z ECMWF was... it shows less than .25 at PDX and only .30 at SEA for the next 10 days.

Strange.

Yeah it shows only 0.10" at PDX over the next 10 days. What a weird year.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Nice! Are you just using it as a hobbyist or are you planning on doing some other work with it? Kind of a silly certification but the FAA had to do something and that was the best they could come up with. The main takeaway should be just some general knowledge of airspace and traffic patterns to avoid air traffic.

Most importantly, keep it below 400' as helis commonly fly at 500' AGL (including yours truly!)

I actually kind of enjoyed it with my whole flying fetish and all. The test was more difficult than I expected and I started to get sweat mustache toward the end thinking I might have tanked it. Squeaked by with an 83.

The reason was professional, the use of drones has infiltrated traffic collision investigation and a couple of the companies I work with decided to get on board with it. I decided to offer up to go through the training, mainly for the opportunity to play with some really expensive toys.

• Like 3

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I actually kind of enjoyed it with my whole flying fetish and all. The test was more difficult than I expected and I started to get sweat mustache toward the end thinking I might have tanked it. Squeaked by with an 83.

The reason was professional, the use of drones has infiltrated traffic collision investigation and a couple of the companies I work with decided to get on board with it. I decided to offer up to go through the training, mainly for the opportunity to play with some really expensive toys.

I work with a guy who has a serious drone obsession. Keeps buying bigger and more expensive ones, and is about to get certified.

Pretty fun to watch someone who really knows what they're doing race one around.

A forum for the end of the world.

Clown range 18z GEFS seem to hint at a building western ridge. With all this talk about cooler temps and rain, there's gotta be something positive looking ahead....

That’s not a building western ridge...

You would want lower heights offshore for it to be a building western ridge.

The map you posted looks like a trough about to drop in.

I'm still learning how to read these things...

"Avoiding unwanted weather is a key element of happiness."

I'm still learning how to read these things...

Always assume boring southerly flow

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Just had a foothill shower!

Really?

We were on the boat this afternoon and evening on Lake Samammish... saw some convective looking clouds form for awhile but nothing even close to rain.   It was gorgeous out there.   80 degrees and completely calm... water temp was 68.     My daughter was swimming for about an hour and had a blast.

Really?

We were on the boat this afternoon and evening on Lake Samammish... saw some convective looking clouds form for awhile but nothing even close to rain. It was gorgeous out there. 80 degrees and completely calm... water temp was 68. My daughter was swimming for about an hour and had a blast.

Usually when I see you posting around this time it means the 00z GFS went belly up on us. That scared me!

Really?

We were on the boat this afternoon and evening on Lake Samammish... saw some convective looking clouds form for awhile but nothing even close to rain. It was gorgeous out there. 80 degrees and completely calm... water temp was 68. My daughter was swimming for about an hour and had a blast.

Sunny and warm in Stanwood where we had dinner, on way home we were shocked to hit wet roads and a rainbow when we got to the east side of the freeway. And was dripping wet at home!
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Clown range 18z GEFS seem to hint at a building western ridge. With all this talk about cooler temps and rain, there's gotta be something positive looking ahead....

Temperatures should remain relatively above normal for the most part through the next week or so. We should be able to avoid any significant rainfall, the models don't have much rain.

Shortly after one of my last posts here, my laptop wouldn't boot into windows. There may be times I won't log into some sites until I either can get my drives looked at or get another computer.

Back on topic. There was some thunder earlier, and a brief downpour in the late afternoon. 

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Really astonishing how dry it has been this month. Took a walk at Silver Falls State Park last night and it started sinking in how dry things have been. Of course things are still green, but the creek is approaching its summer time low flow. Which is amazing for this time of year. Fishing on the forks opens in April now, but when I was a kid Memorial Day weekend was opening weekend in the park. Comparing the normal flow around that time to what was coming down the creek yesterday was pretty amazing. 

We are at 0.35" of rain for the month. At this pace we will smash the record driest May which was 0.62" in 1947. Interestingly June 1947 was  the wettest June on record here with 8.94". We can dream.

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Really astonishing how dry it has been this month. Took a walk at Silver Falls State Park last night and it started sinking in how dry things have been. Of course things are still green, but the creek is approaching its summer time low flow. Which is amazing for this time of year. Fishing on the forks opens in April now, but when I was a kid Memorial Day weekend was opening weekend in the park. Comparing the normal flow around that time to what was coming down the creek yesterday was pretty amazing.

We are at 0.35" of rain for the month. At this pace we will smash the record driest May which was 0.62" in 1947. Interestingly June 1947 was the wettest June on record here with 8.94". We can dream.

Yes, we drove up the Washougal the other day and were noticing the same thing. Dougan Falls looked like it was at midsummer levels already.

A cool and wet June would be a blessing from nature.

• Like 1

Tim would like to remind you that we still need 3.5 more years of this to balance things out.

This is actually true... particularly up here.   Or maybe our average temperature and average annual rainfall just jumped significantly for good.   As in the average annual rainfall at SEA went from 38 inches to 45 or 46 inches.