February 2019 Weather in the Pacific Northwest - Part 1

Guest hawkstwelve

FV3-GFS actually shows PDX now being ground zero with the weekend event.

sn10_acc.us_nw.png

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

FV3-GFS actually shows PDX being ground zero with the weekend event.

in both the seattle and portland areas, it has the highest totals of 12-14" west of both cities. here in seattle, it would be west kitsap and in portland it would be the coastal mountains.

in both the seattle and portland areas, it has the highest totals of 12-14" west of both cities. here in seattle, it would be west kitsap and in portland it would be the coastal mountains.

Amounts on the FV3 have been dwindling up here.  I think it's showing higher outflow which means more snow is dried out. 

Worried about Monday-Tuesday being completely removed. I still think something will happen, even in Portland.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

FWIW the RGEM shows snow already falling by early Friday morning in the SEA area.

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_46.png

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

FV3-GFS actually shows PDX now being ground zero with the weekend event.

Overdone, but I am liking the consensus track right now. With the low staying offshore, Multnomah and Clark Counties should stay in ESE flow the whole time on Saturday even with the low to our north. Should be plenty of wet snow on Saturday morning with that if the precip rates are as modeled, before the stronger offshore flow moves in Saturday afternoon and we drop below freezing.

Worried about Monday-Tuesday being completely removed. I still think something will happen, even in Portland.

My guess is this operational GFS run will be a huge outlier on the ensembles in that time frame. Not handling the cutoff energy well.

• Like 1

Problematic. Higher likelihood it rains.

What makes you say that?

Cold Season 2023/24:

Overdone, but I am liking the consensus track right now. With the low staying offshore, Multnomah and Clark Counties should stay in ESE flow the whole time on Saturday even with the low to our north. Should be plenty of wet snow on Saturday morning with that if the precip rates are as modeled, before the stronger offshore flow moves in Saturday afternoon and we drop below freezing.

Yeah it's a fine line though. Don't want it to trend anymore offshore that's for sure.

Cold Season 2023/24:

My guess is this operational GFS run will be a huge outlier on the ensembles in that time frame. Not handling the cutoff energy well.

I think he is caling some of these negative posts “jokes”. This may be one of them
  • Downvote 2

Then you shouldn't be worried.  You're right, "something" will happen.  Keep studying the models, do your due diligence and enjoy the possibilities.  Sometimes we win, sometimes we don't.  Things look promising right now but it's never an absolute like some try to make it be until it happens.  We all want snow.  Patience is part of this game we play here.  Worry won't make it happen or not.  Enjoy the journey!  It will warm up one of these days.  We will return to rain, split flow, and moss.  Don't waste the here and now.  These are the fun times. 

• Like 2

I think he is caling some of these negative posts “jokes”. This may be one of them

That wasn't a negative post. The operational GFS was much worse for the early week period compared to other models. I think it's an outlier

• Like 1

So many new members, so many new opinions...

My gut feeling is that the models continue pushing the snow progressively farther south with each run and seattle gets the short stick like in 2012 while Portland gets 14 inches.

How did I do?

• Downvote 1

Yep, I hope so. Especially since it was such a radical departure from previous runs.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Precipitation hits during the warm period on Friday. I would hope that it waits a little bit until after the cooldown starts on Friday night to prevent any rain issues.

925mb temps are forecasted to be around -3c with offshore flow Friday morning. You won't see any rain.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Keep posting model frames of all kinds and sharing this forum around. We are building a time capsule to what is already unprecedented in the model era and if the next couple weeks play out, something that rivals an all time great event.

When this is done, I'll spend a weekend and you your posts, maps, images, and obs to build a story from the first frame with a block to the last flake from the sky.

It would be interesting to go back to the  January forum to just before the models starting locking in on this.  IIRC, it had been showing something good, backed off on it for awhile, then suddenly starting showing something good and here we are.  

• Like 2