Part I - January 2020 Weather Discussion for the PNW

thanks so what we can we infer from it regarding us down here at sea level.

Cold.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate this run simply for the cold alone.  Pretty amazing.  I think we will get snow though.  Usually PNA blocks are better snow makers than EPO blocks.

This run is incredible and probably the best we've seen so far for the sheer cold. I know I said earlier that cold without snow is like pizza without toppings... but WOW.

Also, at hour 330 there's still lots of Arctic air left in BC... and it starts moving south again towards the PNW afterwards. 

• Like 3

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate this run simply for the cold alone.  Pretty amazing.  I think we will get snow though.  Usually PNA blocks are better snow makers than EPO blocks.

It'll be interesting to see how the GFS alone accounts for the 2mT shown and whether or not they verify, we would be looking at record cold given the #'s being shown. 

Snow right now is the lesser issue for me

Guest LaPineLurker

Hmm. So, how did you choose La Pine as a place to settle in? Surely you must have had some idea of the topography, no?

Actually I didnt.  My partner picked it.  He said it was the cheapest over here.  I went in knowing nothing.

Hey, cold is exciting, yeah, but that outflow is exceptional. Reminds me of the days before the Feb 1996 flood— powerful, brutally cold east wind.

• Like 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually I didnt.  My partner picked it.  He said it was the cheapest over here.  I went in knowing nothing.

Did not realise property in that part of central Oregon was that cheap.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Advice from Mark Nelsen concerning weather apps:

"And, for the love of any sort of deity…stop staring at weather apps! They are good for general weather forecasting during benign weather, but useless in situations like this. Totally automated. Plus, what does a snowflake for next Monday mean; a snowy day? a few flurries?"

weather-app-snow-forecasts.png

• Like 5

Guest LaPineLurker

Did not realise property in that part of central Oregon was that cheap.

Ya.  pretty cheap here, especially compared to Bend.  We got a pretty nice house here at a reasonable mortgage.

• Like 1

Ya. pretty cheap here, especially compared to Bend. We got a pretty nice house here at a reasonable mortgage.

I know you’re new to Oregon, but have you ever been to Culver? It’s around there somewhere, I think.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Guest LaPineLurker

I know you’re new to Oregon, but have you ever been to Culver? It’s around there somewhere, I think.

Do you mean Carver?  I have a friend that lives in Oregon City and we went to a nice diner there before.

Colder ensemble vs 18z and the 18z was colder vs 12z.  This run bottoms out at -10 for Seattle and duration of sub -8 is way longer than the 18z.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I feel sorry for people who can't appreciate this run simply for the cold alone. Pretty amazing. I think we will get snow though. Usually PNA blocks are better snow makers than EPO blocks.

As they always say, get the cold in here first and worry about the moisture later. Sometimes moisture doesn't come into play until the last minute.

• Like 1

At the 1000mb level you want to add 10 to 15C. Assuming -18c, you can estimate the temperature at sea level will be -8 to -3c over SEA. I’m sure you can convert this to F.

• Like 1

a lurker would not engage in answering a bunch of seemingly random questions. It’s totally him. Probably best to ignore.
  • Like 3

Link?

That is just part of my general knowledge.  A PNA block is situated a bit differently than an EPO block and is located a bit further west.  Jan 1950 was a classic -PNA block and it was a huge snow maker.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Wow, incredible picture! That looks more like the Kenai River than the Columbia!

It was a long period of cold and roaring East winds.  I remember the Sandy river was pretty iced over as well.  

good times and I still remember my face freezing as I was trying to get a good shot!

• Like 1

At the 1000mb level you want to add 10 to 15C. Assuming -18c, you can estimate the temperature at sea level will be -8 to -3c over SEA. I’m sure you can convert this to F.

With Arctic air the temperature curve is different.  The surface is disproportionately cold compared to 5000 feet vs normal.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

FWIW, looks snowy for the weekend after next.

3-day totals ending that following Monday.

Only 7"? Psssh  :lol:

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

With Arctic air the temperature curve is different. The surface is disproportionately cold compared to 5000 feet vs normal.

This is absolutely correct, but I just want to give him an idea of what we can do at the surface compared to 850mb height. Overall, it will be very cold at the surface.

Guest LaPineLurker

Did I choose the wrong side of the mountains?  What I am seeing on those maps is definitely snowier in Portland and Seattle?  

I remember Dallas getting some amazing snow sometimes, and OK city getting some crazy snow.   I figured being this far north would help matters.

You can think of the atmosphere as a series of layers. The surface/boundary layer where we live, 925mb, 850mb, 700mb, 500mb etc. Obviously in reality the atmosphere isn't made up of discrete layers like that but we tend to look at these specific points because they can be useful for forecasting purposes.

One of their uses is to determine precipitation type. We most often look at the 850mb temps for this. If the temps all the way from 850mb to the surface is at or below freezing and we have precipitation, then it will probably be sticking snow to the surface. There is no set in stone 850mb value that is good enough for snow, there are many other factors you need to take into account (onshore vs offshore flow, inversions, etc). In the Portland area, when we have the surface level winds coming out of the west, we typically need 850mb temps of around -8c or less to allow snow to make it to the surface and overcome the warming effects of the W/SW winds. If the winds are out of the east, you can get away with maybe 0c 850mb temps since the surface temps can be potentially kept much cooler/dryer due to the continental air. The 850mb temperature is just one data point you need to make a forecast. 

All you need to know in this case is, -18c 850mb temps over Seattle is WAY colder than you need for snow. It is near the historically cold category. 

There are lots of resources online if you want to read up in a lot more detail about this stuff, but stick around this forum and you'll also learn much more overtime. 

• Like 8