January 11-13 Major Winter Storm/Blizzard

Snow starting here.  Grass is starting to get covered.  Very wet stuff.  Temp at 35 DP 29.  Right in the battle ground area of Rain/Snow.  Will see if we can cool off with these heavy showers.  With Toledo reporting snow a while ago it may fair well with us. I think the elevation is helping us out on this storm. 

IMG_7820.jpeg

IMG_7827.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tom said:

The double barrel low was horribly modeled...I don't recall every seeing the Euro showing it tracking over Chicago.  What a gut punch!  It always had a consolidated low in N IN into S MI...

1.png

Look at this, just compared to the 00z run.  Virtually all of the modeling botched this badly almost up until it was happening.  Gonna remember this for a long time... not for a good reason of course.

This change also delays the deepening of the eastern low to some extent.

trend-ecmwf_full-2024011212-f012.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.us_mw.gif.d5d481cd7e48a6619542e9364027ef55.gif

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

At 3PM here in MBY there is now moderate snow falling with a temperature of 32. The road now has  coating of snow on it the driveway about the same On the snowboard there is now 0.5” of new snow and a total of 3”. I will be going into work shortly so I will not have any updates until around 10PM.

47 minutes ago, Iowawx said:

How much longer should the accumulating snow last in CR? Should the snowfall rate pick up as the day goes on?

The HRRR has the snow lasting til 10pm, but it will gradually weaken.  Current radar shows it's already weakening over Cedar Rapids and the heavier snow shifts east.

Despite getting pretty good snow for the last two hours, there is only another 0.7" on my board.  My total so far is a lousy 3.3".  At this rate it will be difficult just to finish with 5".  We got bulls-eyed by the early-week storm.  Unfortunately, it goes the other way, too.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Temps will be falling.  Wind chill is the real demon here. That and my neighbors leaves all blew onto my porch.
Currently 42 Low tonight 30

Sat. - Low 20

Sun - Low 12

Mon - Low 11

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

20 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

The HRRR has the snow lasting til 10pm, but it will gradually weaken.  Current radar shows it's already weakening over Cedar Rapids and the heavier snow shifts east.

Despite getting pretty good snow for the last two hours, there is only another 0.7" on my board.  My total so far is a lousy 3.3".  At this rate it will be difficult just to finish with 5".  We got bulls-eyed by the early-week storm.  Unfortunately, it goes the other way, too.

Most spotters don't measure properly, so I'll bet we see 5-6" reports out of CR for sure from them if not higher.  The Hiawatha spotter always seems to be one of the highest around, wouldn't be surprised if they report 7-8".  I'll go out and measure again, but I never saw it snow what I would even call moderate for more than 30 minutes to an hour.  It's mostly been just a steady light snow for the last 12-14 hours.  I'm guessing we're 4-5" but probably closer to 4".  Admittedly I didn't do a good job preparing good measuring spots for this storm.  I didn't have any really cleared out areas, so measuring has been very difficult.  

• Like 1

Not sure why the NWS here in Omaha dragged their feet not issuing a Blizzard Warning for our CWA (conditions are warranting this too right now with less than 1/4 mile visibility at Eppley). The Nebraska State Patrol is now advising people to stay home due to whiteout conditions and treacherous road conditions, even in the city of Omaha. I-80 has been closed in a few spots in the city due to accidents and slide offs. 

A Blizzard Warning would have likely kept more businesses closed and people home... kind of ridiculous that they dropped the ball when DMX upgraded last night (especially as our snow amounts have increased and snow is still falling).  

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 3

It's been snowing good here for a while, though very small flakes for the most part. No idea what we're at accumulation wise, but I doubt it comes anywhere close to the forecast when it's all over. Still a solid snowfall, though, and can't complain given the week we've had. 

32 minutes ago, Bryan1117 said:

Not sure why the NWS here in Omaha dragged their feet not issuing a Blizzard Warning for our CWA (conditions are warranting this too right now with less than 1/4 mile visibility at Eppley). The Nebraska State Patrol is now advising people to stay home due to whiteout conditions and treacherous road conditions, even in the city of Omaha. I-80 has been closed in a few spots in the city due to accidents and slide offs. 

A Blizzard Warning would have likely kept more businesses closed and people home... kind of ridiculous that they dropped the ball when DMX upgraded last night (especially as our snow amounts have increased and snow is still falling).  

Completely agree! The last storm we had wasn’t a warranted blizzard warning, this one is! I’m completely snowed in as all roads into and outside of town are closed. All plows are also pulled off the roads. Drifts are ridiculous. 

IMG_3118.jpeg

IMG_3117.jpeg

IMG_3116.jpeg

IMG_3114.jpeg

IMG_3115.jpeg

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

As one system exits, another one approaches. This one will only be good for 1-2 inches but when paired with wind gusts up to 50 mph tomorrow, it won't take much to create blizzard conditions.

image.png

Already blizzard warnings very close to me. We’ll see if I’m added overnight or not. 

• Like 4

Father is in Grafton, WI... just far enough west from the lake to be getting snow... often it's the simple drive 2 miles east to costco and you get the transition. Looking at these live cams you can see that West Bend and Waukesha are getting hammered while Port Washington and Racine (right along the lake) are not.

https://www.tmj4.com/weather/weather-cams

https://www.tmj4.com/weather/forecast/todays-forecast/southeast-wisconsin-weather-blizzard-conditions-possible-by-evening

• Like 1

Very pretty and nice snowstorm happening.   Snowfall rates aren’t that impressive but moderate snow falling.   Wind is picking up.   2 inches down since 2 pm eastern.   It’s certainly a winter wonderland with snow on top of our previous snow.   With up to another 4- 8-12” predicted for Saturday through Monday this looks to be the height of our short winter.   

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

I’m gonna call this 4.5-5”. Again hard to measure. Certainly we didn’t get a lot. It just never snowed heavy here. Still a fun snow day watching it snow. I took the day off work and just enjoyed it. Accumulating snow is essentially done here. Radar is breaking up. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MinnesotaSnow said:

One of the worst model performances locally I can remember. Yesterday almost every model was showing 6-8” for the TC. I think we will be lucky to get 1”

Agree, they still say I am supposed to have snow through the morning hours. Its already done snowing and any wrap around I may get won't start for a long time.

1 hour ago, bud2380 said:

Most spotters don't measure properly, so I'll bet we see 5-6" reports out of CR for sure from them if not higher.  The Hiawatha spotter always seems to be one of the highest around, wouldn't be surprised if they report 7-8".  I'll go out and measure again, but I never saw it snow what I would even call moderate for more than 30 minutes to an hour.  It's mostly been just a steady light snow for the last 12-14 hours.  I'm guessing we're 4-5" but probably closer to 4".  Admittedly I didn't do a good job preparing good measuring spots for this storm.  I didn't have any really cleared out areas, so measuring has been very difficult.  

Right on cue. 

image.thumb.png.e46dd17c65584259252ca6ea7418e588.png

• Like 1
  • lol 1

Snow is vanishing from radar around Cedar Rapids, but somehow it's still going strong in the Des Moines area.  Is it just me or does Des Moines hit the jackpot almost every storm?

• Like 1

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Looks like the storm is starting to dry up in northern IL, but wraparound is predicted still. Hoping that happens. We are at about 6.5-7" in Whitewater. Have had small flakes since noon so snow totals kinda stalled but it's been steady just 1/4"-1/2" per hour tops

Pretty disheartening how far east this thing shifted. On one hand, I'm glad it'll be an easy drive to Duluth for me. On the other hand, the north shore just won't be the same without the foot+ of snow cover that's typically there when I go in January.

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

1 hour ago, MinnesotaSnow said:

One of the worst model performances locally I can remember. Yesterday almost every model was showing 6-8” for the TC. I think we will be lucky to get 1”

Much different here in East Central Nebraska… models were finally dead on with the 8-10” that fell here last night and today. Still getting some light snow now, or maybe it’s just blowing snow… I have no idea.

20 hours ago, Jaycee_CHI said:

Chicagodome too! It’s the same thing here, riding the edge. I’m not confident we’ll get a lot yet. Sounds like a rich get richer setup imo, but I’m happy to be proven wrong! 

I was sadly right. Absolute bust here, it rained all day and heavily. It rained all year last year too, starting to feel impossible to get a good storm here nowadays! 

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Minny_Weather said:

Pretty disheartening how far east this thing shifted. On one hand, I'm glad it'll be an easy drive to Duluth for me. On the other hand, the north shore just won't be the same without the foot+ of snow cover that's typically there when I go in January.

They had a big lake effect dump up there yesterday. Finland MN picked up 17”

• Like 1

Started as light rain /mist to mixed and then heavy wind blown snow. I was coming in from Troy and roads were terrible. Radar looks beautiful. Under a WWA attm.

Haven't had a chance to even look at this storm, but read very few posts on here, but still not aware of what is going on, but I do know that this is a big storm.

Note: Snowfall rates were in the inch per hr rates.

4" has fallen in Detroit and still snowing.

Detroit Metro Airprt:   37 /  30  /  33  / 0.84  /  4.0 / 4
  • bongocat-test 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Another three hours of snow produced only about 0.1" on my snow board, so my measurement is worthless.  I'll probably just record 5" or whatever the local average is.