7 minutes ago, Phil said:

There is something to be said for internal consistency in guidance. So rare that I ever say this, but given the relative stability of the GFS/GEFS suite (relative to other guidance) I’d hedge ~65-70% in that direction, with a 30-35% hedge towards other guidance. At least in terms of 500mb pattern.

Vice versa, guidance with the coldest solutions (such as the ICON) have been the most unstable with their solutions at 500mb (for what reason(s), I don’t know).

Though if there’s a mesoscale element to the model differences related to topography/etc, that’s something you all would understand better than me, in which case my opinions above are probably moot. I’m not great with mesoscale dynamics in unfamiliar regions (I’m slowly learning how that works in the PNW but can’t master it without living there).

IMO one of the unique aspects of the PNW is that the giant Pacific Ocean is upstream of us, so these little shortwaves are poorly sampled. It's unclear to me which model(s) are getting hurricane hunter data and where they are sampling, but that could be a big X-factor here. 

I'm inclined to think they will meet in the middle...especially given the number of EPS members that do show a more northerly solution. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I thought people were saying the UKMET was warm.  Sure doesn't look like it.

500h_anom.conus.png

No one said warm... its very suppressed with precip.  

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

24 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

Wow, moisture way south. Misses us all.

IMG_2661.thumb.png.5510ad0e2268f8d7d2afb5bc863dfdb9.png

IMG_2662.thumb.png.ca2417e4ee616f96e582f7bbc7d0553d.png

IMG_2663.thumb.png.1ebb7193e1230a8be7f9856bf3690e6d.png

Except @DRG's cabin just south of Oregon and @MWG in Medford.

• Like 4

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

9 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

I will bet 50 bux in the end it comes in between Astoria and long beach.

I’m not so sure…I think things might move slightly north at the very most but I’m betting on this mostly being a PDX event and Seattle being on the fringe. 

2 minutes ago, Christensen87 said:

My sister is subbing in Enumclaw and the teachers want my prediction if school will be cancelled Friday due to weather. My first thoughts are of course, no way to tell yet. GFS has snow coming in that day, so it could be a good idea. Don’t think the wind would be an issue yet. What do you guys think? 

Who knows.  I think an inch or so with the Arctic front is a good bet.  Not sure when the snow from the big system will start....assuming it happens.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, TacomaWx said:

I’m not so sure…I think things might move slightly north at the very most but I’m betting on this mostly being a PDX event and Seattle being on the fringe. 

I'm betting snow pushes up to Everett at the very least.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, LowerGarfield said:

Except @DRG's cabin just south of Oregon and @MWG in Medford.

Oh....people must have meant it was on the fringe to the south.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, Christensen87 said:

My sister is subbing in Enumclaw and the teachers want my prediction if school will be cancelled Friday due to weather. My first thoughts are of course, no way to tell yet. GFS has snow coming in that day, so it could be a good idea. Don’t think the wind would be an issue yet. What do you guys think? 

It will be fine 

• scream 1

I'm betting snow pushes up to Bellingham at the very least.

Fixed it for you! 

• Like 3
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Still open with Chains required…But I’m sure they won’t be open much longer. 

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just to make things more interesting.  The MJO is getting into some good regions for us to be cold. 7 coming up late month.

ECMF.png

• Like 4
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Time to pull out Cliff’s favorite. IMG_5379.thumb.jpeg.cc9333c5c0709acd3185dfdeb9cd33ee.jpeg

I would be okay with that. 

• Sick 2

3 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

IMO one of the unique aspects of the PNW is that the giant Pacific Ocean is upstream of us, so these little shortwaves are poorly sampled. It's unclear to me which model(s) are getting hurricane hunter data and where they are sampling, but that could be a big X-factor here. 

I'm inclined to think they will meet in the middle...especially given the number of EPS members that do show a more northerly solution. 

That’s possible too. Though IIRC the whole “sampling” thing isn’t as true today as it was a decade or two ago. The majority of data ingested into models is satellite data rather than radiosonde data/etc, though of course if there’s a storm or feature of particular importance, it doesn’t hurt to have a more precise read of the atmospheric profiles within said storm or feature.

Still, given I don’t live up there (at least not yet, lol) I usually do give weight to the ideas you all put forth, since your knowledge re: regional climate and mesoscale tendencies (and the model biases that come along with such) is vastly greater than mine.

3 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Time to pull out Cliff’s favorite. IMG_5379.thumb.jpeg.cc9333c5c0709acd3185dfdeb9cd33ee.jpeg

Cliffs model ran yesterday showed about 9" for Leavenworth.

Just measured.  We had exactly 9".  This model, at least the 1.33K resolution version, is spot on for here time after time.  I have been really impressed with it, so much that I ignore all other forecasts.  Of course it only goes out 72 hours, but any snow maps shouldn't go out any further anyway.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Just to make things more interesting.  The MJO is getting into some good regions for us to be cold. 7 coming up late month.

ECMF.png

While I’m wary of using unfiltered RMMs alone to reflect MJO, when they project strongly into phase-7, it increases my confidence that a legitimate SSW will come to fruition.

Some of this amplification is a result of the ongoing minor SSW augmenting the Brewer Dobson Circulation (think of that as a mass overturning circulation in the stratosphere from the equator to the pole), but the MJO position in phase-7 (WPAC) also augments wave driving in a way that is favorable for additional PV disruption.

So even when the current blocking episode wanes, I’m very confident there will be another one in February (likely -NAO centric once again).

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

ECMF.png

That coupled with a -PDO (which has its strongest effect here from Jan-March) things could get interesting 

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

4km has higher resolution, and it doesn't show me getting skunked so badly with the arctic front.xwa_snow24_72_0000.gif.pagespeed_ic.-Mwd-j7Q5u.thumb.png.07cc2bb837895666090d969f87656d43.png

8" for me on the front. Now that is believable. Take notes EURO

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Rare to see the NBM spit out amounts this high in the sound. image.thumb.png.0e78b1ac271a5434a97e30d0456b45bd.png

On my drive into Seattle I was listening to Komo 1000 for traffic update getting into the city as shiz was already bad on 405 south.  Their weather forecast for Thursday into Friday was some light accumulations on grassy surfaces but we'd see freezes over the weekend.  What crack are these mets smoking?

• Excited 1