The Weather Forums

November 2020 Weather Observations for the PNW

Just now, DJ Droppin said:

You too? It breaks the monotony for wiping and many other activities. I MEANT bowling, throwing stuff.

I started as a lefty but as my epilepsy has progressed, I've done more and more with my right hand. I used to couldn't throw the football with my right arm and now I can and it just started to happen. Plus stuff like using the mouse. I would have been a switch-hitter if I'd played baseball. Would have been a valuable player for the moribund Sheridan program, but it wouldn't have been any fun to play for that disaster of an athletic department when I was there.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon cold season 20-21 Stats:

• Coldest high: 38F (Nov 21)
  • Coldest low: 23F (Oct 26)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 20 (Most recent: Dec 2, 2020)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 1 (Most recent: Nov 21)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Last accumulating snowfall: February 27, 2019
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last sub-freezing high: Jan 14, 2017 (31)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 20.7"

GoFundMe: www.gofundme.com/CollegeBasketballvsEpilepsy

My Twitter @357jerseys4hope

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Downvote this post if you want a windstorm.

Briefly beautiful sunrise this morning. Shot from the car. You can even see the inverted shadow of Mt. Hood.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Weather1011 said:

I don't know if I should feel flattered or scared that Jesse downvoted me 90 times today, And went back in the past and downvoted everyone of my comments lol. I'm glad you have that type of time on your hands lol I was like how did I got from 101 upvotes to only 9. Thanks baby boy jesse ❤️❤️

Screenshot_20201119-235519_1.jpg

The best thing you can do is sluff it off and ignore it. I would honestly like to meet the guy in person because I feel that I agree with him on a lot of things, but he won't just go after one person. His back and forths with the 10k-ers are typically pretty funny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personal Stats:

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

The best thing you can do is sluff it off and ignore it. I would honestly like to meet the guy in person because I feel that I agree with him on a lot of things, but he won't just go after one person. His back and forths with the 10k-ers are typically pretty funny.

Just curious who spends there time  going back to everyone of a members post just to do that lol

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
4 minutes ago, Weather1011 said:

Just curious who spends there time  going back to everyone of a members vote just to do that lol

The more someone shows it bothers them. We all have our little roles to play on here. I'm the Eeyore who exaggerates shitt & occasionally has moments of hope. But ultimately I just have to come to grips with the fact that this is a shitt location for winter weather and that our summers are going to keep getting hotter and drier.

My prose is easily the worst on here too. It takes me like 20 mins to type out a message sometimes because my train of thought has to go back and re-read what I have wrote sometimes tons of times to then move onto my next point. It's one of the reasons why I suck at debating.

• Like 4
  • Sun 1

Personal Stats:

42 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

The more someone shows it bothers them. We all have our little roles to play on here. I'm the Eeyore who exaggerates shitt & occasionally has moments of hope. But ultimately I just have to come to grips with the fact that this is a shitt location for winter weather and that our summers are going to keep getting hotter and drier.

My prose is easily the worst on here too. It takes me like 20 mins to type out a message sometimes because my train of thought has to go back and re-read what I have wrote sometimes tons of times to then move onto my next point. It's one of the reasons why I suck at debating.

It doesn't bother me it just shows how someone really doesn't have a life 🤷

But your a good poster never had a issue with you or any of your posts !

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
55 minutes ago, Weather1011 said:

I don't know if I should feel flattered or scared that Jesse downvoted me 90 times today, And went back to my posts from January and downvoted everyone of my comments I have ever made lol. I'm glad you have that type of time on your hands lol I was like how did I got from 101 upvotes to only 9. Thanks baby boy jesse ❤️❤️

Screenshot_20201119-235519_1.jpg

I’d suggest blocking him if he really gets on your nerves that much. Constantly bringing it up isn’t really improving matters, no?

• Thanks 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

4 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I’d suggest blocking him if he really gets on your nerves that much. Constantly bringing it up isn’t really improving matters, no?

Who's constantly bringing it up ? I just logged in and saw 90 notifications.

• Popcorn 2
  • Downvote 1
8 minutes ago, Weather1011 said:

It doesn't bother me it just shows how someone really doesn't have a life 🤷

But your a good poster never had a issue with you or any of your posts !

Hopefully you can post in the banter thread. We talk football there. Especially bitcching about the Seahawks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personal Stats:

Down to 32F for freeze #14 on the season.

Listening to some chill-synthwave music watching the GFS roll out, yeah it's gonna be a shitt run, but they'll be getting better. Just need a cool-looking neon sign for the window.

• Like 1

Personal Stats:

06z GFS shows a pretty classic chilly inversion pattern developing in the long range.

As long as things turn more active again at some point in December (likely IMO) I’m ok with this progression for now.

• Sad 1

good lord the traffic going to Baker this morning was insane and there was a decent number of cars at the Britton Rd “parking area” 

looks like a lot of people called in sick with a case of the “24 hour snovid” today

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Sad 1
Just now, Chewbacca Defense said:

good lord the traffic going to Baker this morning was insane and there was a decent number of cars at the Britton Rd “parking area” 

looks like a lot of people called in sick with a case of the “24 hour snovid” today

We are planning to head up to the Cascades tomorrow so good to know. Gonna try to find somewhere off the beaten path to enjoy the snow.

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
20 minutes ago, Jesse said:

We are planning to head up to the Cascades tomorrow so good to know. Gonna try to find somewhere off the beaten path to enjoy the snow.

Will your avatar enjoy the snow too? Haven't seen him smile in quite a while.

• Sad 2
  • Sun 1
26 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Which is insane considering today and tomorrow it's only open for pass holders and there won't be any Canadians up there this winter. Probably going to be mad crowded on any good days this year.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 0"

11 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Will your avatar enjoy the snow too? Haven't seen him smile in quite a while.

As long as there are low clouds or negative temperature anomalies anywhere on the planet, you're just not going to see it I'm afraid. What hurts some of us hurts all of us.

9 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Which is insane considering today and tomorrow it's only open for pass holders and there won't be any Canadians up there this winter. Probably going to be mad crowded on any good days this year.

Going to be like how all the trailheads were this summer...Jammed! 

• Like 1
  • Angry 1
40 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Nature sure has gotten a good dose of us humans this past year thanks to covid and social media post of our beautiful areas! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
3 minutes ago, Jginmartini said:

Nature sure has gotten a good dose of us humans this past year thanks to covid and social media post of our beautiful area! 

A good dose of garbage and disrespect too sadly. The good thing is most people only go to a handful of locations that are well advertised on social media. It's not very hard to still find remote spots if you know where to look. We are very fortunate to have millions of acres of public land in Oregon and Washington.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Going to be positively boring for the next few weeks. 

5730E0EF-7E10-47BD-9127-5FA87BC06F07.jpeg

What's a late fall/ early winter without a chilly inversion period. Doesn't seem like we really had one last year.

I feel ok about this since we have already gotten some active weather under our belts. And I'm sure it will turn pretty active again later on.

• Snow 2

Wow. Down to 34 at PDX while it’s 39 here. Pretty unusual for them to be colder than this location. There must be some clearing overhead there allowing for radiational cooling/ground fog. We’ve got more of a low cloud deck up here.

• Like 1

Gfs and euro aren’t too far apart in terms of rainfall to finish the month. Should finish with 7-7.5” of rainfall this month if they verify. Last few days of the month look dry on both models. 

• Excited 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Cold season rainfall-10.14”

Snowfall-0.0”

8 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Going to be positively boring for the next few weeks. 

5730E0EF-7E10-47BD-9127-5FA87BC06F07.jpeg

Hopefully some nice dry weather so I can mow some more lawns before the inevitable cold snowy hammer drops on us

• Excited 1
  • Downvote 1
11 minutes ago, Jesse said:

A good dose of garbage and disrespect too sadly. The good thing is most people only go to a handful of locations that are well advertised on social media. It's not very hard to still find remote spots if you know where to look. We are very fortunate to have millions of acres of public land in Oregon and Washington.

Yeah, some of the busiest spots have been pretty disgusting, but honestly most spots have been cared for pretty well. I went on more than 40 hikes in the Cascades this summer and only on 3 of them were there so many people that I felt like I couldn't find peace and solitude. Most of them I saw less than a few dozen people and more than 50% I saw less than 10.

• Like 3
  • Sun 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018)   Wettest Day: 2.43 (2012)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 6.9"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" 

2020-21: 0"

4 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Wow. Down to 34 at PDX while it’s 39 here. Pretty unusual for them to be colder than this location. There must be some clearing overhead there allowing for radiational cooling/ground fog. We’ve got more of a low cloud deck up here.

Dang hasn’t been below 40 here in over a week. Much milder nights this fall here at this location compared to last fall. So far we’ve had 1 freeze and 12 nights into the 30s this autumn. Last fall we had 6 freezes and 27 nights into the 30s. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-0.0”

2 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Dang hasn’t been below 40 here in over a week. Much milder nights this fall here at this location compared to last fall. So far we’ve had 1 freeze and 12 nights into the 30s this autumn. Last fall we had 6 freezes and 27 nights into the 30s. 

Well yeah late September through October was one of our coldest such periods on record last year with way more frosts and freezes than normal. What you are seeing this year is probably a lot more normal for you location, seems to take an act of Congress to get you down to freezing :D

3 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Well yeah late September through October was one of our coldest such periods on record last year with way more frosts and freezes than normal. What you are seeing this year is probably a lot more normal for you location, seems to take an act of Congress to get you down to freezing :D

Usually we have more than 1 freeze at this point...last fall was a bit unusual but this one’s definitely been on the milder side. Looking like each month was 1-2 degrees warmer on avg. compared to last year...but atleast it’s been decently wet and our best early mountain snowpack in awhile. I’m ok with fall being mild as 2008 and 2016 were both pretty mild too. 

• Snow 1

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-0.0”

Just now, Jesse said:

A good dose of garbage and disrespect too sadly. The good thing us most people only go to a handfull of locations that are well advertised on social media. It's not very hard to still find remote spots if you know where to look. We are very fortunate to have millions of acres of public land in Oregon and Washington.

Sadly the the garbage has been pretty unreal :( but on the positive note many good souls cleaning up the messes.  We are everywhere and we do care earnestly.  As for those who disrespect we can only hope they will mature and become future caretakers.  Still frustrating but it is what it is.  Amen to millions of acres of remote land where animals can do their thing :)

44*

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Hopefully some nice dry weather so I can mow some more lawns before the inevitable cold snowy hammer drops on us

Also another gutter cleaning but this time a Leaf blower should suffice in making the job easier. 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

06z GFS shows a pretty classic chilly inversion pattern developing in the long range.

As long as things turn more active again at some point in December (likely IMO) I’m ok with this progression for now.

I agree.  It's nice to mix things up and chilly inversions can nicely pad a cold winter average....assuming we end up with a cold winter overall.  1984 - 85 had a lot of inversion cold and a lot of true cold as an example.  My area can do exceptionally well in inversions as long as the easterly gradient isn't strong enough to wipe out the inversion.  Once those things get going the gradient can get pretty strong and yet the inversion stays locked in.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 0

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 10

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

4 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Usually we have more than 1 freeze at this point...last fall was a bit unusual but this one’s definitely been on the milder side. Looking like each month was 1-2 degrees warmer on avg. compared to last year...but atleast it’s been decently wet and our best early mountain snowpack in awhile. I’m ok with fall being mild as 2008 and 2016 were both pretty mild too. 

The things is October 20 through Nov 10 was not mild at all.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 10

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

8 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Bold call, but the models are certainly looking interesting as we get into that time frame.

In the shorter term the GFS and ECMWF are finally indicating potential for a cold / foggy inversion with high pressure right on top of us somewhere in the 7 to 15 day period.  Most seasons get something like that eventually.  I always like a week or so of that.

Pattern gets more favorable for the NW during the 2nd or 3rd week of December, extrapolating tropical forcing out of IO, thru IPWP. I think I made a more detailed post on this a few weeks ago.

Exactly how favorable..I’m not sure. If we can get some ET wave breaking going, then it could be interesting. Worst case, it’s normal-ish temps under zonal flow/AK vortex. 

• Excited 2
  • Snow 1
10 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

The generally cool and active weather, ample frosts and freezes for most locations, and nice early season mountain snowpack would keep me from calling this fall mild overall.

The first half of fall was definitely warm this year, but around mid October we saw that pattern change and it's generally been cooler than normal since then.

6 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Down to 32F for freeze #14 on the season.

Listening to some chill-synthwave music watching the GFS roll out, yeah it's gonna be a shitt run, but they'll be getting better. Just need a cool-looking neon sign for the window.

You're kicking my butt on freezing low temps.  We've had so much more cloud cover up here.  On the other hand I've had way more highs below 50.

• Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 10

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

The things is October 20 through Nov 10 was not mild at all.

Yea but I’m talking about the whole fall not a 3 week period. In terms of average temp each month was above normal to a certain extent at this location. Even in the October 20th-November 10th period we had some mild weather...3 days in the low to mid 60s in the first week of November. 

Cold season stats  

Coldest low-30

Coldest high-42

Freezes-1

Monthly rainfall-0.00”

Snowfall-0.0”

23 minutes ago, Jesse said:

It has cleared out, good thing the kid pooped on my curtains so I could put up the light blocking ones.

• Excited 4
  • Troll 1
5 minutes ago, Kayla said:

GEFS control shows a strong retrogression signal beginning on Dec 9-10th with all the major players locking in the cold air with Arctic intrusions into the Northwest leading up to Christmas. This is just about the ideal scenario IMO!

1857214243_ScreenShot2020-11-20at9_25_48AM.thumb.png.c254211a78ec8e2148a6f0d4e8730198.png

1423729823_ScreenShot2020-11-20at9_31_26AM.thumb.png.7ea49293dd92f3cf2d5b0c5c252f3ab8.png

This has been a theme with many of the models.  At this point we want to see it hold off for a while longer.  With a Nina the longer things hold off the better it is when we get there.

• Snow 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2020-21 stats

Total Snowfall = 0.0"

Total Hail = 0.0"

Coldest Low = 25

Lows 32 or below = 10

Highs 32 or below = 0

Lows 20 or below = 0

Highs 40 or below = 0

7 minutes ago, The Blob said:

It has cleared out, good thing the kid pooped on my curtains so I could put up the light blocking ones.

Can't stand it when someone sh*ts the curtains. 😠

• Popcorn 1
  • Angry 1
  • Troll 1
  • iFred unpinned this topic