June 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

attachicon.gifAR-170409973.jpgattachicon.gifCedarRapidsWeirdClouds1.jpg

I forgot that yesterday was 13 years since some really weird clouds were spotted over Cedar Rapids. Nobody had ever seen clouds like these before, and there was no name for them at the time. In 2017, they were finally classified was asperitas clouds. These photos led to their worldwide recognition in the world metrological organizations cloud atlas.

Photos are from June 20, 2006. I did not take pictures of them at the time, and I really wish I did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperitas_(cloud)

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/onsite/features/cat.php?day=2006-06-21

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cases/060620/

Here are some more links about that event.

• Like 1

I think it's safe to say that most of us across the MW/GL's will finally flip the switch into Summer this weekend and through the extended.  Looking forward to a nice stretch of 80's, some mid/upper 80's showing up later next week and with increasing DP's starting tomorrow, I'm sure the A/C's will be humming.  

Missed out on all the storm action yesterday/today, but hopefully on Sunday some storms will pop.  Actually, it works out pretty well as I plan on spending most of the day outdoors.  Don't really need the rain anyway.  

Man, I thought yesterday's SOI numbers were off the charts....today's is even deeper!

SOI values for 22 Jun, 2019
Average SOI for last 30 days -9.54
Average SOI for last 90 days -5.72

Daily contribution to SOI calculation -42.04

For those near the GL's, the saying "cooler by the lake" has been the theme this month...

MonthTDeptMRCC.png

• Like 1

Models had been suggesting a ring-of-fire pattern later next week, but the ridge has expanded and now it's looking more hot and dry.  I hope we cash in with storms this weekend.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Models had been suggesting a ring-of-fire pattern later next week, but the ridge has expanded and now it's looking more hot and dry.  I hope we cash in with storms this weekend.

There is a line of storms about 70 miles southwest of Cedar Rapids. The HRRR was not showing that. They are slowly moving northeast so I guess we may see them here later. 

• Like 1

There is a line of storms about 70 miles southwest of Cedar Rapids. The HRRR was not showing that. They are slowly moving northeast so I guess we may see them here later.

Yes they have increased a some in the last hour and it wasn’t forecast. At least they are moving northeast instead of east and southeast. Nothing like west of St. Louis though.

Had a few rumbles of thunder last night, but only 0.04”.

While we here in the central US are just starting to get some nice warm summer weather in much of Northern Europe it has been warm for much of June and looks to get very warm to hot this coming week.  Locations from Madrid to Paris, Belgium, Frankfurt and Berlin can expect a multi-day heat wave, with daily temperatures near or above30C (90 F). The average high is between 24C (74F) and 26F (78F) Some of the hottest locations may reach 38C (100F) Even in England the highs may reach up to 27C (80F) the average high in London in June is around 21C (70F)  While that type of temperatures in much of the US are not unusual in the US they are more unusual in Europe

The 11 am reading at GRR was 69 and here at my house I now have 75 and lots of sunshine

• Like 3

Recent HRRR runs have most of the storm activity tonight missing south of CR.  I sure hope not.  Tonight may be pretty much it for this not-so-wet wet pattern.

Satellite shows quite a nice spinning disturbance crossing Iowa this midday.  Unfortunately, that is not good for us.  It is keeping us cloudy, and the subsidence behind the disturbance will be passing through our area later.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Recent HRRR runs have most of the storm activity tonight missing south of CR.  I sure hope not.  Tonight may be pretty much it for this not-so-wet wet pattern.

Satellite shows quite a nice spinning disturbance crossing Iowa this midday.  Unfortunately, that is not good for us.  It is keeping us cloudy, and the subsidence behind the disturbance will be passing through our area later.

Would you worry about the disturbance pushing the boundary south for tonight? I really want to see some good storms around here. 

Would you worry about the disturbance pushing the boundary south for tonight? I really want to see some good storms around here. 

I'm definitely concerned.  There are no big storms pushing a surface boundary south, but the disturbance is keeping our area stable.

Only 64 degrees with cloudy skies and north wind gusting to 20 mph at 2 pm. Definitely a fall feel and we have the windows open again. Looks like summer hits here Tuesday and sticks around. Would think dews start rising as well.

Wow it’s in the low to mid 80’s in Eastern Nebraska with plenty of humidity. That cold front to the west is certainly making a big difference.

Will be interested to see if we get any strong/severe storms around here later... have a feeling it will miss us to the south once again.

Currently at 73F w sunny skies. Lows tanite in the chilly 40s. Yikes!

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Summer is finally on it's way to the Great Lakes!!!

Amen to that! :D

• Like 1

Not much of a storm at all,but at least had some nice looking clouds as it slowly moved in.

1-A67778-D-7-B1-C-4-D1-B-AA3-F-59-B1-C47

1-A9-D8766-BBD6-4-FB9-B94-E-05-F08341-C7

726-FC592-D7-CF-4-EE6-9417-1-F184752-F29

WOW

With temps in the low 90's and Dewpoint 75-80, we are expecting more rain tomorrow evening into Monday morning.

They expecting 1.25". Oh joy, sauna time in Texas.

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I'm not optimistic we'll see anything more than light to moderate rain tonight.  The HRRR has been consistently crapping out most of the stuff in Iowa as all the heavy storms down south (wash, rinse, repeat) take the focus.

• Like 1

I'm not optimistic we'll see anything more than light to moderate rain tonight.  The HRRR has been consistently crapping out most of the stuff in Iowa as all the heavy storms down south (wash, rinse, repeat) take the focus.

Yeah it’s crapping out already. Probably should be able to get more zzzzzzzzzzz tonight! Lol

The pattern needs to change.  As long as MO/KS/OK/TX keep getting hit by heavy storms, we won't be.  We need a hot dome to the south so some good CAPE can finally build and feed late-night storms moving in from the west and northwest.

• Like 2

The pattern needs to change.  As long as MO/KS/OK/TX keep getting hit by heavy storms, we won't be.  We need a hot dome to the south so some good CAPE can finally build and feed late-night storms moving in from the west and northwest.

Exactly. This has been going on since May. I am really getting tired of Cedar Rapids not getting any good thunderstorms. 

At least we should get some moderate rain here tonight. 

Exactly. This has been going on since May. I am really getting tired of Cedar Rapids not getting any good thunderstorms.

At least we should get some moderate rain here tonight.

We had a few sprinkles here tonight off of an 80% chance of thunderstorms in Omaha... take what you can get with this lousy pattern I guess.