November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

10 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I like snow depth tbh. I feel like it’s showing the most realistic amount. It’s just to early to get 3-4in out a fringe system 

GFS shows a bunch of snow of snow in the Puget Sound area on Sunday and Monday all with temps in the upper 30s.   It just doesn't make sense and you would think it would be an easy thing to fix in the program code... but apparently not.   Hopefully the upgrade this month will make some improvements.   Because unless there is arctic air and temperature is not an issue... you can almost always throw out the GFS snowfall maps.   Its showed half foot of snow falling around Centralia last night with those precip bands that were moving inland yesterday evening.    Just goofy.       

• Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Oh, I think we'll see something....

I think if there’s precip in the overnight hours under a convective shower possibly would be the only way to drop the snow level all the way down to the surface. On most of the models by the time drier cold air with lower DPs arrive the moisture is gone which is almost always one of the biggest problems with getting lowland snow around here. 

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

GFS shows a bunch of snow of snow in the Puget Sound area on Sunday and Monday all with temps in the upper 30s.   It just doesn't make sense and you would think it would be an easy thing to fix in the program code... but apparently not.   Hopefully the upgrade this month will make some improvements.   Because unless there is arctic air and temperature is not an issue... you can almost always throw out the GFS snowfall maps.   Its showed half foot of snow falling around Centralia last night with those precip bands that were moving inland yesterday evening.    Just goofy.       

Clearly a plot by Big Weather Forum to generate posts. Wake up sheeple. 

• Like 1
  • lol 4

1 minute ago, BLI snowman said:

Been some consistency with that overrunning threat late next week. GFS and Canadian both agree, with the Euro at least temporarily keeping things dry.

Looks kind of borderline though on the GFS. Canadian looks better

Just now, Doinko said:

Looks kind of borderline though on the GFS. Canadian looks better

Wouldn't worry too much at this stage. Just good to see the momentum continue towards a developed low level cold pool + juicy warm front combo.

And overrunning setups with cold air already entrenched in place are actually one of the few cases where the models still tend to have a slight warm bias around here.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, lowlandsnow said:

850mb temps are significantly colder on this GEFS run but it won't matter if there is no precip

Trade-off for colder temps (kinda). The overrunning scenario might be the best bet for wintry precip or maybe some convective type showers with some people getting lucky at the onset of the colder air working in. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Trade-off for colder temps (kinda). The overrunning scenario might be the best bet for wintry precip or maybe some convective type showers with some people getting lucky at the onset of the colder air working in. 

I agree... the potential for an overrunning event later in the week is probably the best chance for lowland snow.   Particularly if there is an established cold pool east of the mountains.    There is just too much onshore flow on Sunday and Monday.   

• Like 4
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

30 minutes ago, Kayla said:

NW flow into Montana. Ridge over the BC coast.

Here is what actually happened that winter

image.png

Way more snow in a lot of areas than what the ECMWF is showing, particularly the Cascades and Eastern WA/OR.  And pretty much normal elsewhere.

Interestingly AccuWeather has 2000-2001 as their top analog winter for this year, and their prediction is this:

image.png

• Like 4

1.png

• Like 3
  • Snow 3
  • Shivering 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

6 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Off topic, but...I'm traveling to Lake of the Ozarks this weekend, looks like I'll experience quite the storm there Friday night.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_10.png

What are you doing in Lake of the Ozarks?    We loved it there.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

1.png

I really want you to score. One of the most random memories I have from last Christmas week was sitting in a Denny's in Hermiston Oregon and telling my wife how happy I was. It was the day you had ten inches. About how you snapped one of your streaks. 

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1
  • Shivering 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)