January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

Not too often you see a convergence zone out in the Pacific to the West of the Olympics.

Pretty cool what offshore flow can do.

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/backward-winds-around-seattle-make-for-backwards-convergence-zone

6ea20e0b-a552-4145-b43d-68d1b251b30b-large16x9_anti_pscz.jpg

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Things may not have turned out quite as "arctic" as many were hoping but I wouldn't go as far as saying this thing has been a complete bust. Dp's continue to fall as PDX is currently reporting a 12º dp and I'm down to 22º with a dp of 9 and a ripping east wind.

It's going to take a while to moderate come this weekend, likely not until Monday morning sometime as the models ALWAYS underestimate the cold dry air and power of the gorge as we all well know.

Question of the year is, how fast do the upper levels warm to above freezing?

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The holidays are over but maybe Rod Hill is still hitting the bottle pretty hard, he says his confidence is high for a snow/ice storm in PDX this weekend. So far so good. 

Then he goes on to say 6 inches of  snow and then ice on top. Hmmm, yeah I'm not so sure about that..as nice as it would be. 

Nice guy, but Rod makes some crazy forecasts sometimes. 

• Like 1

The holidays are over but maybe Rod Hill is still hitting the bottle pretty hard, he says his confidence is high for a snow/ice storm in PDX this weekend. So far so good. 

Then he goes on to say 6 inches of  snow and then ice on top. Hmmm, yeah I'm not so sure about that..as nice as it would be. 

I used to party with dude, crazy mo fo for sure.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Well, he did call the last event pretty well - and he knows our climate well enough...  But, yeah, I'm not seeing it either.

• Like 1

Then he goes on to say 6 inches of snow and then ice on top. Hmmm, yeah I'm not so sure about that..as nice as it would be.

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone in the lowlands, outside of premium cold air damming spots, saw any accumulating snowfall out of this. There's just too much warm advection potential with the overall pattern.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Not too often you see a convergence zone out in the Pacific to the West of the Olympics.

Pretty cool what offshore flow can do.

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weather-blog/backward-winds-around-seattle-make-for-backwards-convergence-zone

attachicon.gif6ea20e0b-a552-4145-b43d-68d1b251b30b-large16x9_anti_pscz.jpg

Bet its dumping snow out there over the ocean.    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Must be basing his whole forecast off of the NAVGEM. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Looks like the 00z NAM forms a weak secondary low resulting in more moisture out ahead before any real WAA begins on Saturday... Grasping for straws at this point, I know.

• Like 2

Cold Season 2023/24:

Looks like the 00z NAM forms a weak secondary low resulting in more moisture out ahead before any real WAA begins on Saturday... Grasping for straws at this point, I know.

Nah, it does look like a slightly better setup than the Euro or GFS. Especially for areas further north.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Kayla what does WAA mean? Warm air something?

Got most of it! Warm air advection. Basically just warmer air moving in over a colder low level airmass. Faster the WAA is the faster we turn to freezing rain or ZR.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Mark Nelsen on team Euro/GFS for the weekend. ZR to Rain.

http://lmgcorporate.com/kptv/weather/ibs_web_7-day.jpg

This thing isn't quite 2005 status, but it was pretty underwhelming. The truly cold air was never delivered and we get the worst possible way to transition out of it. The majority of SEA and PDX got basically nothing going into it either.

Hopefully January can deliver something better in the coming weeks.

This is looking more and more likely just a sleet and/or freezing rain event for PDX Metro. If you live right next to the entrance of the Gorge or Western Washington/Columbia County then you will probably see initial snow due to the cold air damming. I'm still holding out hope to see some snow so I can go sledding for a few hours, that's all I want.

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Things are heavier than earlier. I will be sure to stay up and get a midnight measurement with pictures if possible (night shot is difficult).

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

It's so unusual to hear someone wishcast for less snow instead of more.

All I did was make an observation. Up to this point the snow has been very marginal at best. Now it seems to be picking up. 

I wasn't forecasting. lol ;)

• Like 1

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 21
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 5/4, 5/5, 5/6, 5/7
5/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Then he goes on to say 6 inches of snow and then ice on top. Hmmm, yeah I'm not so sure about that..as nice as it would be.

I just saw that. Now I have a little more confidence in seeing snow.

f3e7e3bf2f29b1e9cdb92d7e39e709f1.jpg

Hi-res NAM shows a little more precip further north tomorrow. Shows decent precip as far north as Salem or so.

Trend is (still) our friend! Definitely brings a lot more moisture even up to PDX. Of course the east winds suck it all up but stranger things have happened before... 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Another surge of modified arctic air moving into eastern Washington/north central Washington/mid-upper Columbia Basin increasing N winds, dewpoints falling to zero or slightly below.

Same surge, gradients are just increasing.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.