October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

PDX gusted to 36, Glen Jackson to 40. It's here!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Strong winds now at my house near West Gresham! I can hear the roar coming from my east before it even reaches my house. Power Outages now steadily increasing.

72939728_10218881179132217_7350866205328

73446269_10218881186692406_1021150722554

75576386_10218881189212469_5142760554233

Gust to 47 mph at Glen Jackson Bridge!

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

6z GFS alert! The wind woke me up heard some loud "bang", so here I am. I thought I would check out the 6z GFS. YEAH. About that. Wow. Pattern develops at just Day 5. Watch the offshore ridge merge with the Aleutian ridge forming a formidable block. Note the low pressure cut off holding under the Block. Wow! BC slider and if this were late November to December we would score! Could this possibly have some ensemble support? Could we be seeing a new trend emerge to reset our current cold pattern in the 8-10 day period? Let's not get ahead of ourselves. We'll find out in about an hour.

Day 5.5

gfs_z500a_namer_23.png

Day 7

gfs_z500a_namer_29.png

Day 8

gfs_z500a_namer_33.png

• Like 1

What a nutty setup for this early in the season. The Dalles has advected down to 31, DP 3 in a well mixed airmass with ENE winds all night. Even PDX is already down into the 30s with the wind.

37, DP 9 here with ENE winds gusting 40-45mph.

• Like 4

Had the winds blast through my area between midnight and 4, the temp held in the 40’s until about 5am when it quickly dropped to 30, and we are still falling. Fun system, kinda bummed I slept through it!

It has been a lot of fun reading all the reports this morning.

What a nutty setup for this early in the season. The Dalles has advected down to 31, DP 3 in a well mixed airmass with ENE winds all night. Even PDX is already down into the 30s with the wind.

37, DP 9 here with ENE winds gusting 40-45mph.

Silly numbers everywhere right now. Baker City advected down to 18 on strong NW'erlies. Kalispell dropped to -2 without even really trying, setting their earliest subzero on record. Cheyenne, WY is sitting at 3 degrees with snow falling. I'm sitting here thinking that I would be tracking these numbers as a legit Arctic airmass even in January. 

• Like 3

Silly numbers everywhere right now. Baker City advected down to 18 on strong NW'erlies. Kalispell dropped to -2 without even really trying, setting their earliest subzero on record. Cheyenne, WY is sitting at 3 degrees with snow falling. I'm sitting here thinking that I would be tracking these numbers as a legit Arctic airmass even in January. 

I'm sitting here at -9F right now with 15" of snow on the ground and thinking the same thing... :blink:

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

The CAA in the basin has really thrown me for a loop. I guess I should have expected it to a degree based on the models, but I just didn’t think there would be such large, sustained temperature drops along with the wind. Pendleton is 20 degrees currently with NE winds, Pasco is 23, Hermiston is 27. All in totally free air conditions. Good chance many places in the basin see sub-freezing highs under full sun and mixing today.

The CAA in the basin has really thrown me for a loop. I guess I should have expected it to a degree based on the models, but I just didn’t think there would be such large, sustained temperature drops along with the wind. Pendleton is 20 degrees currently with NE winds, Pasco is 23, Hermiston is 27. All in totally free air conditions. Good chance many places in the basin see sub-freezing highs under full sun and mixing today.

Wow, I didn't even notice the Pendleton reading. 20 degree readings there are close to top tier in October even under radiational cooling.

• Like 1

Not saying that at all. This winter could be like 2009-10. There is almost no chance of a 2002-03 type winter.

I looked up extreme cold events in Pullman and was surprised at how cold 2002 and 2009 were... wanted to see what those patterns looked like out of curiosity.

I wouldn’t go that far. There are ways this one could fall apart just as any other year could.

Down to 35 here, DP 4. Gusts easily in the 45-50mph range at points.

That's incredible.

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Just caught up on the past day or so. Keep the family drama in DMs and if you have two Maryland cents to add, don't.

Cents are a national currency, so I’m off the hook.

Part of me was expecting much of the east metro to be stuck in the 40s all night once the wind kicked in, with a stubborn downslope component. Maybe PDX would get lucky and eke out a 24 hour low in the 30s this evening. The efficiency of cold air delivery even with the strong winds has been impressive.

• Like 1