October 2019 Weather Discussion for the PNW

Does look like the gfs is trending wetter and milder around day 10. Like some have said already not necessarily a bad thing for our chances possibly later this month or early December.

46/37 here today, although a midnight low could possibly happen here tonight so that might change.

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Down to 48F so it looks like 54F will be the high for the day. Coldest high yet this season.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Between Jan-Mar 2019 and this fall, 2019 is turning in quite the performance nationally for record-breaking cold in the cold season.

- Late January featured top tier cold for parts of the Midwest

- Feb/Mar had top tier cold for large parts of the West

- This fall has already had several top tier cold air masses

A forum for the end of the world.

Fort Jones, in N. California set a monthly record this morning with 10 degrees (prev. 11 on 10/31/2002). Crazy to think this was from the previous airmass, the current one hadn't yet reached California last night. 

Considering that Montague-Siskiyou airport only got to 35ºF this morning, that's... interesting. Must have been some significant radiational cooling in the Scott Valley.

Considering that Montague-Siskiyou airport only got to 35ºF this morning, that's... interesting. Must have been some significant radiational cooling in the Scott Valley.

Good catch, the 10 degree reading probably occurred yesterday (when it was 8 in Alturas and 20 at Mount Shasta City). You never know with COOP's since minimums are reported between 7 AM - 7 AM, could have fallen on either date. 

Good catch, the 10 degree reading probably occurred yesterday (when it was 8 in Alturas and 20 at Mount Shasta City). You never know with COOP's since minimums are reported between 7 AM - 7 AM, could have fallen on either date. 

Yeah it was probably last morning. Montague-Siskiyou had a low of 18ºF at about 7AM yesterday.

47 under sunny skies today at PDX. 50 at SLE. 

41/28 here so far today. Wind was really cranking this morning Power went out a few times briefly according to my wife. Calm winds now and temp at 36. Probably mid-20s here tonight. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

25/3 at Joseph, Oregon today.

-10 departure at SLE today, -9 at PDX, -8 at EUG. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Off topic. What in the hell is with these people I hire to work at my business that think showing up late every other day is ok? Must be a more common problem out there that I realized. I was tought you show up 20 minutes early and be ready to work. I had to fire a guy today for showing up ten minutes late 4 times in 2 weeks. I feel guilty because he has a family but I gave him plenty of chances. I guess I'm just looking for some input on the subject.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Off topic. What in the hell is with these people I hire to work at my business that think showing up late every other day is ok? Must be a more common problem out there that I realized. I was tought you show up 20 minutes early and be ready to work. I had to fire a guy today for showing up ten minutes late 4 times in 2 weeks. I feel guilty because he has a family but I gave him plenty of chances. I guess I'm just looking for some input on the subject.

No excuse to do it that often. I hate people that show up late. 

When I was in the management side of the golf course business for the grounds crew I continued what my boss had started when I first started there...late one time in a year, you get a pass as long as you called ahead of time. Second time you had to work an extra weekend (which involved getting to work at 4am) Third time it was two extra weekends, 4th time you were fired. Cut and dry. It was quite effective...not that you can put that into play at your business but I can honestly say that I have only been late to work 1 time in all my working years and I can thank my former boss and now friend for that. And of course he lead by example.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Didn’t make it above 30 today imby on the vantage vue I won at the weather meeting lol. I’ve seen lots of sub freezing highs here during winter but never before Halloween in the time I’ve been here (11 years). Tomorrow’s forecast low of 7 here reminds me of December not October. Looks to warm up the next two weeks so all is good for the real part of winter when it does thei again and can mean something with snow over.

Most of my previous employees made it in the nic of time. I never insisted anything other than be on time.

I have a new gal who has consistently been 15 minutes early this month. She is getting a bonus on Thursday.

• Like 3

Most of my previous employees made it in the nic of time. I never insisted anything other than be on time.

I have a new gal who has consistently been 15 minutes early this month. She is getting a bonus on Thursday.

What do you do?

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A bonus just for being 15 minutes early for a month? That should be an expectation, show up early enough to be ready at your scheduled start time.

Definitely think mid to upper 20s is likely here at my house tonight. Down to 43 now at 5:45pm with a DP of 5, no wind at all.

This airmass is pretty crazy for this time of year.  The dps are close to the lowest I've seen any time of year, or at least they were earlier in the day.  Huge potential for locations that decouple tonight.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Being in the nick of time doesn't make a person a bad employee.  I do that and I'm very good at my job.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Being in the nic of time doesn't make a person a bad employee. I do that and I'm very good at my job.

Pretty sure you were raised in a way that showed work ethic is important and that sticks with us, not so much with alot of 20 somethings nowadays, they don't know what it is and never will.

The cross Cascade gradients are pretty light up this way.  It is almost calm here with just the occasional light puff of wind.  Earlier I had a gust to 37 which is a pretty average east wind event here, aside from being bloody cold for this time of year.  The high only reached 47 here today.

I find it interesting how the mini clipper in a couple of days has trended much further west over the past day and now the one we've been watching around Nov 7 is showing signs of trending west as well.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Pretty sure you were raised in a way that showed work ethic is important and that sticks with us, not so much with alot of 20 somethings nowadays, they don't know what it is and never will.

Indeed.  My work ethic is great, but I have a hard time getting to work early.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I will say that with my current job it is up to me to set my own hours, cannot go over 40 per week and with my almost regular once a week drive to Eastern Washington and also local drives along with office time I schedule myself when I come and go to be most effective in that 40hr block of time. I have a lot of freedom that I do not abuse, I feel like I have earned that for being that person that rarely called in sick, always was early, and I always did my job, and did it well. My current job is my dream job, working with animals, freedom to set my hours, good benefits, etc...

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!