3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I’ve never experienced single digits in my life. Hoping for a first!!

From people who have experienced serious cold temps (below -10) I have to wonder whether there is a point of diminishing returns with sensation of extreme cold. In fact the few times I've experienced single digits I feel like I've started to notice it. Kind of like how a 116 degree day doesn't really feel drastically different from a 108 degree day. After a while an icebox is an icebox and a broiling oven is a broiling oven.

• Like 4

Just now, MossMan said:

It’s amazing! The lowest I have been in would be -12 in Moses lake. I don’t remember the year but it was prior to 2013 when my mom still lived on the lake. 

Well now I'm really rooting for it to get super cold, as many of you have never seen temps as cold as the ECMWF and GEM are showing. January 1997 I got to experience -42 in Banff Canada, so these forecasts aren't even close to the temps I've experienced before.

• Like 4
  • scream 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

4 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

From people who have experienced serious cold temps (below -10) I have to wonder whether there is a point of diminishing returns with sensation of extreme cold. In fact the few times I've experienced single digits I feel like I've started to notice it. Kind of like how a 116 degree day doesn't really feel drastically different from a 108 degree day. After a while an icebox is an icebox and a broiling oven is a broiling oven.

Coldest I experienced was -5°F in Feb 2015 (although that was with winds ripping near 60mph). At that point it started to burn my skin more than it felt cold, if that makes sense.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

That doesn’t contradict what I said. If you take each ensemble member and average it from D5-10, none are as cold as the operational run.

That doesn’t mean the operational run is coldest the whole time, but it’s the coldest over that timespan.

That make more sense?

image.gif.2d5281f79b466e4c6d3c883b709a21e1.gif

• Like 1
  • lol 8

2 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

It seems to be about 105F and about 5 to 10F respectively for the interior. For the west side I would say below 20F just feels really different with all that moisture. Cold cramping and cracked hands.

• Like 3

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

13 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Are you ok dude

IMG_6763.png

He's trying REALLY hard to upset us silly West Coasters, okay. He's running out of material and options here, so give the poor guy a break, okay. Just WAIT until he comes up with some good acronyms to shoehorn in here. Then you'll be SORRY.

• lol 5

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

That doesn’t contradict what I said. If you take each ensemble member and average it from D5-10, none are as cold as the operational run.

That doesn’t mean the operational run is coldest the whole time, but it’s the coldest over that timespan.

That make more sense?

image.gif

• lol 5

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

6 minutes ago, Blizzard777 said:

Who else here has “The Day After Tomorrow “ on in the background 🤪

I will need to see two more solid euro runs before doing so. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

• Like 1
  • bongocat-test 1

1 minute ago, SpaceRace22 said:

He's trying REALLY hard to upset us silly West Coasters, okay. He's running out of material and options here, so give the poor guy a break, okay. Just WAIT until he comes up with some good acronyms to shoehorn in here. Then you'll be SORRY.

I mean yes it’s the coldest that’s fine. I just would disagree with “huge outlier” label, especially early on

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Ten above feels the same as zero, 10 below feels a little colder than zero. And at about 15 below everything changes. Once you hit 20 below it becomes very hard to do things outside. The difference between zero and 25 below are like the difference between 50 degrees and 90. It's a whole different animal.  

• Like 4

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

6 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

IMO everything below single digits feels the same, at least down to -20 which is the coldest it would get in southern Wisconsin. 

Wind chill is what really matters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Randyc321 said:

a2.jpg

I actually hate beer. :lol: Yes I am the laughing stock of all friends and family for that.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Gummy said:

I will need to see two more solid euro runs before doing so. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Let us know when you on board @Gummy.  You are super picky.   If you think it's gonna snow and get cold that's good enough for me.  🧐

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Fine, the 00z CMC isn’t an outlier and will definitely verify.

That’s better! 

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Fine, the 00z CMC isn’t an outlier and will definitely verify.

Better. Now drop maggot and give me a hundred!

• Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

1 minute ago, the_convergence_zone said:

IMO everything below single digits feels the same, at least down to -20 which is the coldest it would get in southern Wisconsin. 

Wind chill is what really matters.

Yeah wind is to cold as dewpoint is to heat.

I’ve never experienced subzero cold that didn’t come with a relentless and ferocious NW wind. We simply don’t get real cold here unless the TPV is smack dab overhead, and that hasn’t happened since 2015.

14 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Well now I'm really rooting for it to get super cold, as many of you have never seen temps as cold as the ECMWF and GEM are showing. January 1997 I got to experience -42 in Banff Canada, so these forecasts aren't even close to the temps I've experienced before.

Yikes man! Is that cold enough to freeze food on the spot? This is in Antarctica at -94F.

IMG_2521.jpeg.d58516fe30ad105c20332dc5e6f842af.jpeg

IMG_2522.jpeg.3ba11e82c6ae4e3d595c45095e30b719.jpeg

https://www.insider.com/cooking-antarctica-freezing-photos-2018-10

• Like 5
  • scream 4
  • Shivering 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

I actually hate beer. :lol: Yes I am the laughing stock of all friends and family for that.

Disliking certain types, or preferably all alcohol is a good thing. I've never had a drop in my life, and people always think I'm weird and missing out, and that's usually a good way to judge what type of person someone is, if they judge you for being healthy. Alcohol sucks, I've seen it ruin too many lives growing up, I'll never touch alcohol.

• Like 5

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated April 29th) 88"

Snow depth at my home (updated April 29th) late season 1"!

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated April 29th) 92"!!

19 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

it gets noticeable at -10, imo.  add in wind, brutal.  I've see -35 on Mt Washington in NH.  wind chills were close to -90.  we didn't go outside the observatory in that weather so not really sure how it felt but did go outside when it was warmer than -20 and the wind chill was warmer than -50.  extreme cold is extreme once it gets below -20 regardless of wind

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Do you think it will cave or be the same?

I haven’t the slightest clue, but we’ll know which direction it’s going by hr60-72.

• Like 2

Last year was the coldest I have ever been, around -20 in Denver with the December blast. We had fun throwing hot water in the air and watching it freeze. That was surreal, just the day earlier we were hiking in the 50s with sun.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RayRay said:

O M G

BACK DOWN TO 7F again IMG_7944.thumb.png.e2192933abd3942df41bb67932a02ee2.png

OMG the rain is going to stop?  😀

• lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

it gets noticeable at -10, imo.  add in wind, brutal.  I've see -35 on Mt Washington in NH.  wind chills were close to -90.  we didn't go outside the observatory in that weather so not really sure how it felt but did go outside when it was warmer than -20 and the wind chill was warmer than -50.  extreme cold is extreme once it gets below -20 regardless of wind

Coldest I’ve felt was -27 here in Redmond. A couple times. It’s the all time record low here I believe. I’ve felt negative teens and 20’s several times since moving here. Usually a light breeze or no breeze at all. Hurts to breathe when it’s below -20. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

I remember waiting for the school bus on nearly calm -20˚F mornings in northern New Mexico, and every little slight bit of breeze was incredibly painful on my bare face.

Got to experience -10˚F with wind chills below -50 in college and you simply did not go out in such conditions without having all exposed skin covered. Balaclavas were mandatory. Oh, and put gloves on BEFORE opening the door to go out or else your hand will stick to the knob.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

3 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Last year was the coldest I have ever been, around -20 in Denver with the December blast. We had fun throwing hot water in the air and watching it freeze. That was surreal, just the day earlier we were hiking in the 50s with sun.

That was also the coldest I've experienced. Crazy you were here for one of the regions coldest days on record!

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I remember waiting for the school bus on nearly calm -20˚F mornings in northern New Mexico, and every little slight bit of breeze was incredibly painful on my bare face.

Got to experience -10˚F with wind chills below -50 in college and you simply did not go out in such conditions without having all exposed skin covered. Balaclavas were mandatory. Oh, and put gloves on BEFORE opening the door to go out or else your hand will stick to the knob.

Red River?

• Like 1