Thinking the surface temps being cold here Friday-Sunday is probably a lock as long as the cold gets delivered to the Columbia basin. Arctic front or not, the backdoor will bring in the cold via the gorge and keep it there for a while. This is of course assuming that system doesn't go full GFS and go way north. 

Not loving how much WAA is happening here though. Lot of the precip used up as ZR. The 850s don't stay below freezing too long.

Last 2 Euro runs show a kind of fun snow to zr and then back to snow again as the 850s cool and the low sinks south. Classic battle of the airmasses. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

GFS trended wet and it has led the way. 

To be fair, the GFS is generally too wet. At the bigger picture, it may win this one but at the mesoscale level the Euro is still far more superior. 

• Like 1

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Yes, we got 2.5" total on Saturday, 2" in the morning and then another half inch in the evening. Hoping for some decent snow Tuesday-Thursday, we'll see. 

I was surprised how much snow there was down in the Hoodland corridor last evening, Andrew. Rhododendron looked like it got several inches.

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Its been more wet than EURO for a few days now. Since it has been largely correct for this event I'm figuring it wins here.

Not sure... the GFS always seems to overestimate precip.   The GFS might be doing well with the overall pattern but with surface details its hard to beat the ECMWF once the upper level pattern is locked in.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Thinking the surface temps being cold here Friday-Sunday is probably a lock as long as the cold gets delivered to the Columbia basin. Arctic front or not, the backdoor will bring in the cold via the gorge and keep it there for a while. This is of course assuming that system doesn't go full GFS and go way north. 

Not loving how much WAA is happening here though. Lot of the precip used up as ZR. The 850s don't stay below freezing too long.

Last 2 Euro runs show a kind of fun snow to zr and then back to snow again as the 850s cool and the low sinks south. Classic battle of the airmasses. 

East wind is humming too as that parent low approaches, a small surface low gets out ahead of it and flips the wind switch. This has major snow/ice event all over it. That is a big time AR pointed at an arctic airmass to our east.

• Like 6

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Complete snow now and 32 degrees at home. 

Nice... another Hood Canal special!   Just drizzle with a few snowflakes mixed in here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Not sure... the GFS always seems to overestimate precip.   The GFS might be doing well with the overall pattern but with surface details its hard to beat the ECMWF once the upper level pattern is locked in.

My guess is it is too far south with everything. The trend north shown on the GFS is the climo norm and that is how this entire system has progressed. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 4

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

I know... but we were talking about highs in the teens a couple days ago so just clarifying.  

I see. Yes, the Euro has definitely been pulled toward the GFS MUCH more than the GFS was pulled toward the Euro.

We still have no clue how anything will play out. I mean, the Euro may totally cave to the GFS at the end, but then we may end up with 10 degree highs.

So, it is funny to hear folks talk about which model was right or wrong, when ALL we have are wobbling models, we have no clue what is going to happen and no way to determine which model was actually right or wrong. (this last part has nothing to do with you, lol, just got tacked on to my reply) :)

• Spam 1

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

Just now, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

My guess is it is too far south with everything. The trend north shown on the GFS is the climo norm and that is how this entire system has progressed. 

Yeah... definitely agree that the ECMWF could very well trend north with the Friday/Saturday systems over the next few days since that is what the GFS is showing.

• Like 1

Just now, SeanNyberg said:

I see. Yes, the Euro has definitely been pulled toward the GFS MUCH more than the GFS was pulled toward the Euro.

We still have no clue how anything will play out. I mean, the Euro may totally cave to the GFS at the end, but then we may end up with 10 degree highs.

So, it is funny to hear folks talk about which model was right or wrong, when ALL we have are wobbling models, we have no clue what is going to happen and no way to determine which model was actually right or wrong. (this last part has nothing to do with you, lol, just got tacked on to my reply) :)

It really is interesting how no model has won this battle... they all have had ups and downs.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Feb 1989, Nov 2010, Feb 2011...

Maybe in Seattle but wasn’t living there in those years and they were dry or mostly so IMBY.

Even in Dec 2021 (5" Christmas Eve into Christmas Day) got a little over twice that a few days later, so the arctic front snow was a prelude and not the main show.

It's called clown range for a reason.

It looks like I'm likely not getting any snow out of this.  Gets chilly for a couple days.  I'm pleased that I spent many hours each day for the past 8 days surveying every little wiggle in all the models to end up with essentially a zero result.  Speaking of wiggles.  Pretty cool how the Euro wiggled it's way eastward over the past several runs.  Those little wiggles add up!

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

hardly

Was that you in the racoon gif? Do you have lots of raccoons in your area? We do have them but here the roadkill is overwhelmingly deer, pheasants, or quail. Racoons aren't often seen in my rural area.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

850mb temp loop from 12Z ECMWF... basin cold is important factor over the weekend.

ecmwf-deterministic-namer-t850_anom_stream-1704715200-1704715200-1705363200-10.gif

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

It really is interesting how no model has won this battle... they all have had ups and downs.  

And the problem with this forum (and this isn't personal, it's a general problem with PNW weather) is that Ups for some are Downs for others and vice versa. So... this event should provide for a good post-mortem

• Like 6

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Maybe in Seattle but wasn’t living there in those years and they were dry or mostly so IMBY.

Even in Dec 2021 (5" Christmas Eve into Christmas Day) got a little over twice that a few days later, so the arctic front snow was a prelude and not the main show.

Well the other poster is in Seattle. It's weird that he's been there 11 years and said he's seen hardly any snow with Arctic fronts...there have been several that delivered to vast majority of Seattle metro. And many more before that.

A forum for the end of the world.

1 minute ago, Sandy rocks said:

Boy it sure isn't very warm today. My phone said it was supposed to be 59 but it is only 37. Temperature is going down instead of up this morning.

59??  

That sounds totally wrong... no model ever showed anything like that.  

Just now, Front Ranger said:

Well the other poster is in Seattle. It's weird that he's been there 11 years and said he's seen hardly any snow with Arctic fronts...there have been several that delivered to vast majority of Seattle metro. And many more before that.

2006 and 2010 were good in Seattle... but that is more than 11 years ago. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

East wind is humming too as that parent low approaches, a small surface low gets out ahead of it and flips the wind switch. This has major snow/ice event all over it. That is a big time AR pointed at an arctic airmass to our east.

Looks like it starts off as snow for PDX, switches to ice then back to snow. Hopefully we can stay all snow for as long as possible.

IMG_2606.thumb.png.0cc6168e6717332912b31fb502180c0b.png

IMG_2608.thumb.png.aaa81c93686dfd5cd50b707a4f230568.png

IMG_2609.thumb.png.f974efb4a98e0db4fa86081328e9c8d7.png

IMG_2610.thumb.png.e78cf44525c5388533f46138332af308.png

• Like 4

Just now, TT-SEA said:

2006 and 2010 were good in Seattle... but that is more than 11 years ago. 

Justin mentioned 2019 and 2021 more recently. 

Really, the only Arctic fronts that have been really dry for the Puget Sound this century (unless I'm forgetting one): Feb 2006, Dec 2009, Dec 2013, and Feb 2014. And the latter two ended up delivering for OR.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

Gotta have that "cold pool" consolation prize.

Keeps Portland chilly for a long time... still going even next Tuesday when the upper levels are warm.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5449600.png

• Like 4
  • Sick 1

Ice accumulation this run doesn't look insignificant 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1
  • Shivering 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

Justin mentioned 2019 and 2021 more recently. 

Really, the only Arctic fronts that have been really dry for the Puget Sound this century (unless I'm forgetting one): Feb 2006, Dec 2009, Dec 2013, and Feb 2014. And the latter two ended up delivering for OR.

Good point... he must have had snow with the 2019 and 2021 events.   

For what it’s worth, I am not expecting a completely dry arctic front this time. Pretty much every model run has shown it touching off something between flurries and a light accumulation. But I’m also expecting any main event to come later.

It's called clown range for a reason.

18 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Interesting to see some posters so active again now that the runs have more or less gone to sh*t. At least compared to where they were a couple days ago.

team glass half empty

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

The Euro is... yes. But experience has shown that these things tend to have a hard time picking up light precipitation that can add up quickly.

I know that you know that. Or that you know that I think that. LOL. So when I comment on your posts, I'm not directing it at you, I'm just adding some experiential context for the 300+ guests who are following along.

I’ve yet to see light precip add up quickly

• lol 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Keeps Portland chilly for a long time... still going even next Tuesday when the upper levels are warm.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-t2m_f_max6-5449600.png

This is great, low level cool/cold air and many days with negative temp anomalies, Only the GFS is not showing this!!!

• Like 7

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

The January 1998 agenda still verifying 

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Welp…Since my area is now going to get skunked in the snow department, perhaps the possible windstorm tomorrow will still be decent? 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!