2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

You're in a prime spot for this, I'd be shocked if you don't get snow from the outflow tonight into tomorrow.

I think he’s just setting expectations very low in case it doesn’t snow. 

43 minutes ago, Requiem said:

GEM is further north-- just enough to push heavy precip into the south metro 

So we have the ICON, GEM, and GFS having the Metro in the prrecip shield.  EURO a bit south?  RGEM not our friend.  NAM not reliable.  Will the 850's support snow most of the time?  Still some questions yet.  What have I missed?  I just don't want any ice.  Still licking my wounds from '21.  At least for now, I don't have a warm nose coming over me.  That will probably happen at some point but the moisture might be done. 

• Like 1

Getting flashback to last year when a CZ formed 1 mile south of my house and dropped 2” of snow and I got skunked. Looks to be forming in a similar area 

04BC1A15-5E74-44E4-AA03-99D2B38B1DD2.thumb.jpeg.ed21bd6ca52f036f67bd2a16a1366c41.jpeg

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

15 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I would take the battery out of the car and keep it in my dorm room overnight so I had the benefit of a warm battery delivering a full charge.

Good plan but too much of a pain in the a** to do with current car technology....have to reprogram everything (power windows, radio/nav security codes, etc). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, van city said:

Great customer service!!! 🤣

Lol, Costco was like that back in the old days!  We used to fire members if they stepped outta line.  I remember one guy coming back pleading to get his membership back.   The good old days without a policy book 

• lol 1

Looking at the arctic front from Dec 1968, which this looks like a slightly poorer man's version of...

- BLI saw about an inch of snow

- downtown Seattle saw a trace

- SEA saw half an inch

- OLM somehow scored 8"

Only thing with 1968 is it extended further west than this one, which helped it pick up a little more moisture as it dropped south.

A forum for the end of the world.

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Yep that's it i couldn't remember. Looks like this will be colder.

Not sure about that up there, but this is more anomalous than anything we’ve seen recently in terms of how far the coldest air is pushed south in western Canada. Calgary could see their coldest weather in almost 20 years. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AlTahoe said:

picked up 10" of snow overnight. One of the rare storms where Reno got the same amount that we did. from mt biking at New years to 24" on the ground now. 

20240111_084205.jpg

20240111_083905.jpg

Just in time. 😏

I see Heavenly got 19" new. Flying in tomorrow am!

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

One thing I've noticed looking at the models for last night and this morning is the mesoscale models are much more bearish on QPF than the operational. I wonder why that is the case. Seems like this system will have pretty good dynamics to it and the low is trending stronger. Anyone know why that might be the case?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Not to often you see moisture make it over the Olympics like that, might be good for seattle.

looks like more of a downslope off the Olympics and then picking up moisture off the sound.  Sound effect if you will

35 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I think Salem sees a little snow. I’m guessing from looking at the GFS snow and ZR maps that Salem could also get a ton of sleet. If someone has that map please post. I think Salem and Marion county see all three precip types. The more northern GFS/GEM tracks would be minimal snow at SLE, a NAM/ICON, Hrrr solution would be more snow. I think down to about Albany/Corvallis has a decent chance at seeing at least a little snow. It’s also pretty common for precip to start as snow a bit further south then modeled in these setups. January 7, 2017 is a good example, precip was expected to be ZR south of Salem and eugene got several inches of snow before. The changeover.

I live 4 miles south of the Marion/Linn county line. It'll be interesting to see the mix I get. Widely varies by the model you are looking at. It does seem like with the first surface low it will be mostly or all snow. The second low it seems like it'll be no snow and all sleet/freezing rain.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Just in time. 😏

I see Heavenly got 19" new. Flying in tomorrow am!

Yeah a lake effect band sat over Heavenly for a bit when the flow turned northerly and enhanced their totals. They really needed it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Looking at the arctic front from Dec 1968, which this looks like a slightly poorer man's version of...

- BLI saw about an inch of snow

- downtown Seattle saw a trace

- SEA saw half an inch

- OLM somehow scored 8"

Only thing with 1968 is it extended further west than this one, which helped it pick up a little more moisture as it dropped south.

What date did the front come through? I know we had close to a foot here. But I can’t remember if it was with the front or after

7 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Not sure about that up there, but this is more anomalous than anything we’ve seen recently in terms of how far the coldest air is pushed south in western Canada. Calgary could see their coldest weather in almost 20 years. 

2004?  yeah that's the last time Spokane has gone below -20

1 minute ago, clipper_range said:

Seems to be more cold air being pushed into ocean. Imagine if there was an extra push to spin up something. Anything is possible. Worth keeping an eye on.

It is very possible. Watch around Vancuver island for any Rotation.

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

One thing I've noticed looking at the models for last night and this morning is the mesoscale models are much more bearish on QPF than the operational. I wonder why that is the case. Seems like this system will have pretty good dynamics to it and the low is trending stronger. Anyone know why that might be the case?

I think this really will be an event where we won’t know. I think areas like west Clark county, Columbia and Washington counties will be the big winners with the right amount of cold and moisture without the wind. I think the system will be more on the juicy side as it interacts with the Arctic front

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, BlvuSumit said:

Very light snow in convergence band here in Bellevue. Let’s hope the arctic boundary helps fire up the precip later this afternoon

IMG_0329.png

IMG_0328.jpeg

Love that area,... you have a great view.   Must spectacular on a sunny day.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**