February 2021 PacNW Weather Discussion

BLI snowman

50 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

More evidence of the stronger Arctic front is that the mount of moisture available is way up.

us_model-en-087-0_modezrpd_2021020612_96_494_565.png

us_model-en-087-0_modezrpd_2021020618_90_494_565.png

Doesn't look good for Tacoma area.  I almost never get much snow with arctic fronts coming south at the beginning of a cold spell. 

• Like 1

Just now, JBolin said:

Buddy, you're in the s***house right now, with all your back and forth all D**n winter, if anybody better pray for cold and snow, it's YOU Mr. Longshot".

I haven’t wavered more than about 72 times...I don’t know what you are talking about! 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

Doesn't look good for Tacoma area.  I almost never get much snow with arctic fronts coming south at the beginning of a cold spell. 

I’m currently ground zero!!! Let’s hope that doesn’t change! 

241F71CB-F87B-4F09-AC1F-C837D222787D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excited 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

12 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

That is only through Wednesday morning which is the end of the run.   Its just starting to move south.   Tacoma actually does pretty well with true arctic fronts.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Much less modeled snow and cold than this have produced some of our greatest snowfalls in the PNW.  Lots to be excited about for sure.

Yeah I’m not even worried about what the snow maps are showing. Usually aren’t accurate more than 48 hours out most of the time and even then can be wrong! February 2019...we were supposed to get less than 22” of snow but it happened. 

• Snow 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

Just now, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah I’m not even worried about what the snow maps are showing. Usually aren’t accurate more than 48 hours out most of the time and even then can be wrong! February 2019...we were supposed to get less than 22” of snow but it happened. 

Arctic fronts are no joke, I've seen several over the years, some are run of the mill, but some with enough upper level support can blast through like a lake effect snow squall and drop close to 6-8" in a matter of 3-4 hours followed by a near flash freeze and you're left wondering who stole your wallet.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

That is only through Wednesday morning which is the end of the run.   Its just starting to move south.   Tacoma actually does pretty well with true arctic fronts.

Yeah I was about to say...not much shadowing here with precip moving from north to south. I can remember a couple times where we had some decent snow with Arctic fronts. Best one was probably November 2010! 

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

5 minutes ago, TheNewCulverJosh said:

Much less modeled snow and cold than this have produced some of our greatest snowfalls in the PNW.  Lots to be excited about for sure.

Going into the festivities of December 2008 the moisture side of things did not look all that great, but that kept changing last minute and it seemed like NWS Seattle was having to issue last minute Winter Storm Warnings every other day on average for my location. 

• Like 1

Just now, JBolin said:

Arctic fronts are no joke, I've seen several over the years, some are run of the mill, but some with enough upper level support can blast through like a lake effect snow squall and drop close to 6-8" in a matter of 3-4 hours followed by a near flash freeze and you're left wondering who stole your wallet.

Lol, I’d be happy if we got 1” of snow with this whole event to be honest I’m not needy! 

• Snow 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Going into the festivities of December 2008 the moisture side of things did not look all that great, but that kept changing last minute and it seemed like NWS Seattle was having to issue last minute Winter Storm Warnings every other day on average for my location. 

Oh, I remember.  Lake Stevens did very well then.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Fircrest said:

I'd say Tacoma actually does pretty well with true arctic fronts as long as they move far enough South. They're just pretty rare around here. 

I remember Tacoma getting smacked with the stalled Arctic front in January 2007.

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Maybe it's been so long since we've had a true arctic front.  I also don't seem to have memories of past events like some on this forum.  I am amazed at how some of you can quote stats so quickly and apparently accurately of past weather events.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, TacomaWaWx said:

Yeah I was about to say...not much shadowing here with precip moving from north to south. I can remember a couple times where we had some decent snow with Arctic fronts. Best one was probably November 2010! 

That's a good point.  We get shadowed a lot with systems coming in from the NW.

7 minutes ago, JBolin said:

That sounds nice, I've followed weather for 4-5 years and there hasn't been an arctic front that wasn't pathetic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fircrest said:

Maybe it's been so long since we've had a true arctic front.  I also don't seem to have memories of past events like some on this forum.  I am amazed at how some of you can quote stats so quickly and apparently accurately of past weather events.

It's easy when you have hardcore nerds like Tim, Matt, Jim, Phil, Wxstatman, Andrew and couple others

On the EPS bout 1/3 of the members show Seattle getting at least 2 inches by next Friday morning and a large number of members show lows below 20 with the coldest showing 9.

• Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, JBolin said:

It's easy when you have hardcore nerds like Tim, Matt, Jim, Phil, Wxstatman, Andrew and couple others

Wxstatman is unreal.  I wish he would come back.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

sn10_acc.us_nw (15).png

• Like 3

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

5 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I was just talking about that with my wife. I'd be perfectly content if 2-4 inches fell here through this week. Sure, 6+ would be ideal but at this point I don't need much to make me happy. Hell, I was ecstatic when we got that 10-15 mins of very heavy snow with the big snowflakes on the solstice and it only amounted to about a trace. 

My bar is pretty low. 

I agree.  It's more about the snow for me rather than cold. I am very frustrated when we have a cold spell and then come out of it with gradual warming or rain. Seems like wasted cold air!

• Like 1

Feb 13 would be a big snowstorm for PDX but I'm not one for buying a single instance of the Euro. ;)

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

3 minutes ago, ..... said:

If an arctic front actually drops through the sound and you haven't experience one before, they can be quite impressive.

And more often than not they do not produce more than flurries in the sound.  Usually the real intense ones have a quick wind shift accompanied by a skiff at best.  Port Angeles is another story :).

• Like 1