February Snowfalls 2/10-2/12, Part III & IV

Geos

Radar says rain but it is still snowing. Gotta have at least 2 inches on the ground since 9. Cool stuff.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

God, the AFD is depressing.

It's not that bad....

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

Ridiculous. Maybe you'll get a bit less snow than expected, yes. But on top of all the snow today, and the snow on Friday and Saturday (as well as more upcoming chances), you'll at least get something. How do you think the people here in Washington County or the South Valley feel? They were expected to get inches of snow and have been left with a dusting at best. Enjoy what you are getting.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Up to 3.5" near the Britton Rd fire station in Bellingham, and sitting at 19 degrees  Measured about an hour ago and it was at 2.5"

Lots of blowing snow and just had a FWD car trying to back up the hill in front of my house.  

I shot a couple of videos but not sure how to post them

• Like 2

Ridiculous. Maybe you'll get a bit less snow than expected, yes. But on top of all the snow today, and the snow on Friday and Saturday (as well as more upcoming chances), you'll at least get something. How do you think the people here in Washington County or the South Valley feel? They were expected to get inches of snow and have been left with a dusting at best. Enjoy what you are getting.

So you get some snow and turn in to this, funny, lol!!

• Like 2

So you get some snow and turn in to this, funny, lol!!

get some. But it's just silly to say the AFD was "disappointing" because the snow totals have been lowered a bit. This is on top of a lot of snow in many areas.

edit: is something I said wrong?

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

The temp in Bellingham dropped big time. 21 now.

Well, perhaps all hope isn't lost!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

I get some. But it's just silly to say the AFD was "disappointing" because the snow totals have been lowered a bit. This is on top of a lot of snow in many areas.

"A bit"?

Anyway, at least I and others can get a good night's rest now that a likely return to a normal regime is nigh.

I get some. But it's just silly to say the AFD was "disappointing" because the snow totals have been lowered a bit. This is on top of a lot of snow in many areas.

It is pretty funny seeing you of all people trying to appeal to people’s rationality.

• Like 2

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

"A bit"?

Anyway, at least I and others can get a good night's rest now that a likely return to a normal regime is nigh.

NVM, I read the whole thing again and see what you mean. Didn't catch the whole "switchover to rain" part. Hope the low trends more south.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

Been keeping my Facebook friends updated/amused with snow forecasts for the last 2 weeks and posted this earlier this evening. Pretty much sums up my thoughts on tomorrow:

****LONG NERDY WEATHER POST AHEAD*****

Tomorrow's forecast will be the hardest in my 15 years of weather forecasting. Just an incredibly complex storm system and a wide range of potential outcomes across the area.

What I AM confident of is that we will start the morning dry and cold (upper 20's and low 30's) and that heavy wet snow will move up through the Sound from South to North (starting in Olympia late morning and reaching Bellingham early evening.) I know we will have an ample amount of moisture falling through the night, with enough moisture for a very heavy 6-10 inch snowfall if it were all snow.

Unfortunately, what I am NOT yet confident of is exactly how long the cold air will be able to hold on before Southerly winds warm us into the mid 30's and turn us over to rain. I also don't know yet exactly where the rain/snow line will set up because models still disagree on exactly where the center of the storm will track and thus how far North the Southerly winds will reach.

What I think is the MOST LIKELY scenario is for Seattle South through Tacoma to get a heavy wet dump of ~2-4" of snow tomorrow afternoon and evening before turning to a cold rain late in the evening. Between about Seattle and Everett, I would expect 3-5" of snow before turning to cold rain closer to midnight. Everett to Bellingham may stay all snow into the day Tuesday, but will also have less moisture. Most likely a general 3-5" up here as well. West of Puget Sound, cold air will pool against the Olympic Mountains, so I would expect 4-6" of snow in Kitsap County and 6-10" along Hood Canal. This would lead Tuesday to be a very slushy day just about everywhere.

But what I just laid out is just the most likely scenario. If models are off by just 50 miles in the track of the center of low pressure, or the cold air is slightly more stubborn to be scoured out than modeled, we would be looking at much more wet snow rather than more modest snow followed by 35 degree rain. This is not the most likely scenario, but it is still possible. I will know more in the morning!

• Like 2

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

The temp in Bellingham dropped big time. 21 now.

That was a bit confusing for me, I've been at or below 21 since about 4-5pm, and the airport was still sitting at 31 as of 8:30.  I'm about 5-6 miles away to the SE as the crow flies (if that...probably more like 4-5), and am only a couple hundred feet higher....

• Like 1

That was a bit confusing for me, I've been at or below 21 since about 4-5pm, and the airport was still sitting at 31 as of 8:30.  I'm about 5-6 miles away to the SE as the crow flies (if that...probably more like 4-5), and am only a couple hundred feet higher....

I'm pretty sure that was another sensor error. These other two stations, within just a couple miles of BLI in opposite directions from it, were 21-23 degrees at 8:30 PM.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=C9778&num=72&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=E9935&num=72&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

Guest CulverJosh

Good evening guys.  So just an update!!  I have a room booked for tomorrow through Wednesday at Government Camp.  Never been there with such a forecasted snow.  I have been at Snoqualmie pass one time when we got like 18" one evening.  This should be fun.

• Like 2

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but not only is this now the snowiest February on record at Sea-Tac, but it is also their 8th snowiest month ever and snowiest month period in 33 years.

• Like 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

For what its worth

- models are not 100% on the direction of a low, even hours out

- we have seen shifts of 20-50 miles a day before

- mixing at all levels is always difficult to model and in my experience has either been overdone or underdone

- as much as some have been playing up the rain factor - sleet and freezing rain might be more likely if cold is stubborn or low a little further south

- I-90 north still will most likely add to their snow totals in most scenarios

- still cold after this and there are still chances to be had to add

- it can still snow at sea level in March

- the last time we had a Feb this snowy was 1949...

thank you for the optimism! We'll just have to wait and see how cold it gets tonight and what the models say tomorrow morning.