February Snowfalls 2/10-2/12, Part III & IV

Geos

Snowing hard here. Nice snow storm on the 18 nam for puget sound thursday afternoon

'Twould be nice for my visitor from California (San Francisco, lived there all his life, has basically never seen snow before) to have more than melting slushy remains on the ground to see. Then again, if it doesn't materialize, I can't really complain given how epic this month has already began.

All that said, the overall cold pattern looking to stay around means this month has a very good chance for this to land the No. 4 spot in all-time snowiest months for Seattle. It's currently only a few inches shy right now; it would only take a stray minor snowfall here and there to get to No. 4. Nos. 1 through 3 are so very much snowier that I doubt any of them will be displaced.

Not surprised it's still coming down as snow where you are. You have both altitude and the Hood Canal effect working in your favor.

It's called clown range for a reason.

I made a post about that last night (I know everything gets buried so quick these days!). The 7 straight are a February record.

It’s hard to believe it hasn’t happened before considering 1-50 had a stretch of 13 straight which ended on 2-5 with an average high of 25.6.

Testament to how ridiculous that period was and how definitive a turn we make around the start of this month.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Many people snowed in over here for real. Plows have not even been up in this area much at all and if you don't have a lifted truck with tall tires you ain't going anywhere. There was a guy stuck on main road in a Subaru with chains on all 4 got high centered.

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

If I move to Indiana in the next few years hopefully I will get to experience something like Western Washington has experienced in this north/south event.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Many people snowed in over here for real. Plows have not even been up in this area much at all and if you don't have a lifted truck with tall tires you ain't going anywhere. There was a guy stuck on main road in a Subaru with chains on all 4 got high centered.

That happened here in February 2017. We had close to 3 feet of snow, and once the ruts started working/melting to street level, there was a mountain of snow in the middle that was impossible to get through without high clearance. The chief of police at the time lived two houses down, and told me not to bother trying to dig my car out of the driveway because I wasn't making it out of town anyway.

Really interesting blog post here about Port Gamble Bay freezing over this week. The author says they have lived there 40 years and never seen it happen.

https://skunkbayweather.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-great-gamble-bay-freeze-over.html

IMG_7865.JPG

• Like 5

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

It’s hard to believe it hasn’t happened before considering 1-50 had a stretch of 13 straight which ended on 2-5 with an average high of 25.6.

Testament to how ridiculous that period was and how definitive a turn we make around the start of this month.

It's largely a product of happenstance. 1950 was rarefied air, a similarly rare stretch in 1936 (literally the year that Portland airport records begin) produced a stretch of 14 straight sub-40 highs from February 7-20. And that was a mere seven years after a 16 day stretch from January 27-February 11, 1929.

• Like 1

It's largely a product of happenstance. 1950 was rarefied air, a similarly rare stretch in 1936 (literally the year that Portland airport records begin) produced a stretch of 14 straight sub-40 highs from February 7-20. And that was a mere seven years after a 16 day stretch from January 27-February 11, 1929.

Yeah, I think the abrupt first week of February turning point tends to be overstated, partially thanks to happenstance regarding timing of events and airport era record-keeping, as you said. In reality the fading of our window of opportunity for persistent “deep” cold is a little more gradual. Nice to see an event like last week extend the airport era window into something a little more representative of our historical climate capabilities.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think the abrupt first week of February turning point tends to be overstated, partially thanks to happenstance regarding timing of events and airport era record-keeping, as you said. In reality the fading of our window of opportunity for persistent “deep” cold is a little more gradual. Nice to see an event like last week extend the airport era window into something a little more representative of our historical climate capabilities.

I think 2-14 was leaps and bounds better of an illustration. A true outflow event slightly removed from the typical climo window which played out about how you’d expect much closer to the solstice.

I think 2-14 was leaps and bounds better of an illustration. A true outflow event slightly removed from the typical climo window which played out about how you’d expect much closer to the solstice.

They both were interesting in their own way. 2/14 was obviously a more extreme, impactful and memorable (for Portland metro) example. But the fact that we were able to string together a week of 30s this month without much in the way of persistent cloud cover, widespread snowpack or strong offshore flow is sigfinicant on its own.

Really interesting blog post here about Port Gamble Bay freezing over this week. The author says they have lived there 40 years and never seen it happen.

https://skunkbayweather.blogspot.com/2019/02/the-great-gamble-bay-freeze-over.html

IMG_7865.JPG

CO2-induced ice.

Snowing pretty good again here after a rain/snow mix earlier.

As much as I thoroughly love the snow, being on a long, windy hill that doesn't get treatment from city or county crews and having nearly 2ft of snow fall on it is a pain in the a**.

Same here, snowing again. I suspect as we get towards 4pm it will start sticking again. People are trying to get out here but most arent getting more than a 100 ft and getting stuck.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Just amazing!

I was watching a circuit of live streaming cameras there all week and enjoyed! Crazy

https://explore.org/livecams/hawaii/hawaii-waimea-bay-cam

Waimea Bay will load up. Was my favorite because a few weeks ago my brother and I were playing in those shorebreak waves.

Down below that page other cams with sound too.

Our Kona low....tanks!

95349ADE-2E87-4006-824C-8D80166666DB.jpeg

Temp down to 34º in DT Everett. Getting some rain and snow mix.

How warm did you get?

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

They both were interesting in their own way. 2/14 was obviously a more extreme, impactful and memorable (for Portland metro) example. But the fact that we were able to string together a week of 30s this month without much in the way of persistent cloud cover, widespread snowpack or strong offshore flow is sigfinicant on its own.

I suppose. Snow cover obviously helped a bit as did some well-timed cloud cover on Monday, Friday and Sunday.

Looks like precip has stopped for now and 36*. 

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

If the same type of event was impacting PDX and the Willamette Valley instead of SEA then TWC wouldn’t give a . To them Oregon may as well be Siberia.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Its complete insanity in North Bend. We just got out and are in Issaquah in beautiful rain. Then to hotel by airport... and then Hawaii.

It is so claustrophobic in North Bend. Our road down is a tunnel with cars abandoned in places. They are just mounds of course. Got to down I-90 exit and there semis stuck everywhere. State patrol trying to coordinate but it's just so deep in the roads. Really thought we might not make it out.

We went by the entrance to the neighborhood right off exit 31 and it was not plowed at all. Had to be over 2 feet deep in the road with cars abandoned everywhere and people were just standing around.

Going to be a slow recovery.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**