July 2019 Observations and Discussion

Tom

A pipsqueak shower just passed through and dropped a whopping 0.06" of rain.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

I just got 0.10" in about 5 minutes from a strong, but fast moving storm. I hope we can get some more storms to move through here this evening. 

Nope.  It appears that's all we get.

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

@central neb it looks bad around your area! I have never heard of that much water standing at the I-80 interchange in Kearney! Glad we didn’t get that much rain but things are drying out around here for sure, I had to water before we got the rain last night.

Ok Chicago people, my wife and I are coming to your city and will arrive on Thursday! My plan is to have a beach day while on our trip. My question is are coolers and beer allowed on the beach?? Are there places on the beach to have drinks?? If so any suggestions on which beach to go to would be greatly appreciated!

It is so distressing to see you folks in the center of the country being flooded and damaged yet again.

I hope everyone will be safe and dry. Be careful folks.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Ok Chicago people, my wife and I are coming to your city and will arrive on Thursday! My plan is to have a beach day while on our trip. My question is are coolers and beer allowed on the beach?? Are there places on the beach to have drinks?? If so any suggestions on which beach to go to would be greatly appreciated!

Awesome buddy! You picked a great weekend to come down. Most beaches don’t allow any booze so you have to be discrete. North Ave and Oak St are the most popular. Personally, I like Oak St beach but North Ave has music playing from their restaurant and is the busiest. Both beaches have places you can buy drinks but I think Oak St beach bar is flooded from the high water levels. They are both next to each other so you can prob walk down and take a peak to see which beach suits you best.

• Like 1

Awesome buddy! You picked a great weekend to come down. Most beaches don’t allow any booze so you have to be discrete. North Ave and Oak St are the most popular. Personally, I like Oak St beach but North Ave has music playing from their restaurant and is the busiest. Both beaches have places you can buy drinks but I think Oak St beach bar is flooded from the high water levels. They are both next to each other so you can prob walk down and take a peak to see which beach suits you best.

Thanks tom, looking forward to it!! Catching the cubs game on Friday and probably beach it up Saturday!!

• Like 2

The lower dews have arrived in Cedar Rapids after a morning in the low 70s.  We get a decent couple of days before the heat moves in.

• Like 2

103*

Dewpoint 71*

Care to join me on the lawn for a game of 'croak'-et?

Blistering hot.  50% chance of rain. 

I've found a new definition of crazy.

• Like 2

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Hottest day of the year: 94F/62F...DP's have been lowering slowly throughout the day so the Heat Index (95F) isn't too bad.  It's been a great summery day with a nice southerly breeze.  Looking forward to opening up the windows tomorrow and feeling what @St Paul is enjoying today.

• Like 2

Milky skies have cleared the area that were caused from Canada's fires. CF coming through should usher in dryer, crip air and that should really clear out the atmosphere w bluer skies. The air will not be terribly cool, but at least it will be much more comfortable and seasonably warm w temps in the low 80s and nighttime lows in the upper 50s.

• Like 1

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

currently 88 with dp of 72.  Yucky but I love it. 

Plain Sultry attm! 90/74

We've dropped to 74* and Thunderstorms. That's a 30* shift.

60-70 mph winds

1500 lightning strikes in 15 minutes .....100 strikes/ minute.

At one point however it was 103* with lightning and thunder......felt like the apocalypse!

These are well developed storms, a lot of rain and lightning. More on the way.

Crazy, - just crazy. :lol:

• Like 2

While the center of the state has been underwater, it's rained so little here that the grass is starting to brown up a bit.

Yeah tonight I fired up the sprinklers for the first time this summer, as the yard is definitely starting to show the typical mid-summer stress from dry weather and the heat.

It is amazing that a few weeks ago everything was green and the ground was completely saturated, how things change in a short period of time. 

• Like 1

Today's JMA weeklies keep the same pattern rolling on through the rest of July so if you like the heat and humidity it looks like its hear to stay for some time.  I'll be the first to admit, I did not expect this type of pattern for the middle part of the month.  #BiglyBust

It's going to remain dry for a while for a lot of the central/southern CONUS until we see a pattern change across the NE PAC/NW NAMER. As mentioned, I believed the ridge would remain in tact across western NAMER but nature said "hold on".  So, when will this ridge come back??  I still believe it will towards the end of the month and it may end up being around the last week or so.

What is concerning for the ag belt is the dry and hot pattern will add to the stress on the growing crop.  Not a good combination especially during the pollination period.

Week 2 temps/precip...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201907.D1012_gl2.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201907.D1012_gl0.png

Week 3-4 temps/precip...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201907.D1012_gl2.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201907.D1012_gl0.png

• Like 1

Today's JMA weeklies keep the same pattern rolling on through the rest of July so if you like the heat and humidity it looks like its hear to stay for some time.  I'll be the first to admit, I did not expect this type of pattern for the middle part of the month.  #BiglyBust

It's going to remain dry for a while for a lot of the central/southern CONUS until we see a pattern change across the NE PAC/NW NAMER. As mentioned, I believed the ridge would remain in tact across western NAMER but nature said "hold on".  So, when will this ridge come back??  I still believe it will towards the end of the month and it may end up being around the last week or so.

What is concerning for the ag belt is the dry and hot pattern will add to the stress on the growing crop.  Not a good combination especially during the pollination period.

Week 2 temps/precip...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201907.D1012_gl2.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R07_2/Y201907.D1012_gl0.png

Week 3-4 temps/precip...

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201907.D1012_gl2.png

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/tcc/tcc/products/model/map/1mE/map1/img/R14_3/Y201907.D1012_gl0.png

As much as I like the Heat and Humidity, I  was looking forward to a few day cool down.  Today will be perfect.  81 with low humidity, but won't last long.    Low 90's next week and muggy again.  Perfect time to spend a week house/dog sitting with a backyard pool.  

• Like 1

As much as I like the Heat and Humidity, I  was looking forward to a few day cool down.  Today will be perfect.  81 with low humidity, but won't last long.    Low 90's next week and muggy again.  Perfect time to spend a week house/dog sitting with a backyard pool.  

The weekend isn't looking as hot as it was being advertised over the past few days around the GL's .  That trough swinging through Ontario should keep things a little cooler for us around here, which, by the way, was part of the pattern I had envisioned would cool things down a lot more.  

The damage to businesses, hotels, and restaurants in Kearney is heartbreaking. If you have ever stopped in this town of over 30000 along I80, it seems bigger. My wife and I both graduated from here (University of Nebraska at Kearney, UNK) and my daughter will be a freshman there this fall. For a town it’s size it has a ton of things to offer, it is just 30 minutes from our home in Holdrege. There were places with chest high water. I know that most didn’t have flood insurance so the cleanup will be expensive. As always, some places may not reopen. You still can’t access about 8 hotels and a number of bars/restaurants and other businesses as of this morning.

If the 12z GEFS are right, then my gut feeling was on the right track for the late month shift towards a -EPO...hope it continues the trend bc it'll feel real nice after this extended warm spell.

D_NibsPWwAIdJq8.jpg

gfs-ens_T2maMean_namer_11.png

• Like 2

If the 12z GEFS are right, then my gut feeling was on the right track for the late month shift towards a -EPO...hope it continues the trend bc it'll feel real nice after this extended warm spell.

D_NibsPWwAIdJq8.jpg

@Tom how you feeling about August? Of course tropical cyclones can influence a pattern but outside of that? I'm hoping for a shift to more autumn like weather.

@Tom how you feeling about August? Of course tropical cyclones can influence a pattern but outside of that? I'm hoping for a shift to more autumn like weather.

I’m not to confident about a very cool August and with the E PAC ocean cooling off significantly it certainly adds to the surprise. I’m leaning more towards normal temps and nothing too extreme until we get into Sept when the pattern heads into Autumn quickly IMO.

Gorgeous day with noticeably lower humidity today along w a  few passing cumulus clouds. Lows tanite in the upper 50s under crystal clear skies.

A hurricane might be brewing in the GOM by tomorrow. Heads up on that y'all.

• Like 1

Yesterday we received a slam-dunking of a storm.

It was brought about by the weak frontal system, but it collided with high humidity and 103* temps.

We got 1500 lightning strikes in 15 minutes.  That's 100 hits per minute.  The sky looked like a laboratory physics experiment.  Crackling across the sky all night and slamming towards the ground.  

Temps dropped 30* in

This year, I have been amazed at how electrical all our storms have been.  Any comments on this??

We were, however, rewarded with a massive full double rainbow.  The most awesome thing I've seen in years. 

The lower rainbow was a full spectrum of colors.

Double rainbow 2019.jpg

• Like 4

A hurricane might be brewing in the GOM by tomorrow. Heads up on that y'all.

See the tropical thread.

This is going to be a water maker.  Louisiana will be flooded. After the Mississippi delivered all that rain to the Gulf recently, this will not be welcomed. 

NOLA and westerm Miss. will be hurt as the rain will not stop as it  moves NNE.

Just a dreadful year for the Mississippi Valley.

D_NibsPWwAIdJq8.jpg

That's what I've been waiting to see. I'm thinking that this is probably the 2 week window of high heat that I referred to earlier on.

Maybe another widespread 7-10 day stretch like this one to close out August or open September.

That air is going to feel good.

• Like 1