January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

You've had it so much better than I did when I lived in Tacoma. 😆

Especially if this event works out…I’ll look back on the last 8 winters as the golden age of snowfall. So many awesome snow events the last few years. Historically it’s been way better than average. It’ll be tough when things go back to normal for a few years. 

• Like 2

Nice to see the GFS meaningfully improve. The valley is still very much in play

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

1 minute ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

We don't fall below freezing on this run, D**n. 14 freezes for Springfield so far though and some seasonably cool weather coming up.

Just give it a rest dude. Birthday present for me? 🥰 

• Downvote 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

8 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

The Euro is gonna cave to the GFS tonight and Santa is going to die. The Spire is onto something with the bulk of the Arctic air sliding east, not that we need a huge trough to get snow anyways since the 12z GFS showed an overrunning event, so why don't we just sneak in a brief 24 hour bleedout 30F overrunning event to shut you annoying hyped losers up and reset the pattern by hr168 so I can go back to planting daffodils and sharing warm EPS maps. As I've said many times before, once the holidays are over snow loses its magic and just becomes inconvenient to real people with actual lives.

02signgoodpost.gif.a74c4c941ad581bb56f1dc8a0cee03b9.gif

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

4 minutes ago, mjreich said:

Not quite in the same way, since they are by definition probabilistic.  The AI models are essentially taking a complex set of atmospheric conditions and turning them into mathematical vectors that can be used to query for similarity - the process of training is itself probabilistic, so you only need run the model once to determine the highest probability outcome for a given set of specific criteria. 

This is one of the fundamental advances in the field. Ensembles only exist to deal with the inherent stochastic limitations of a deterministic physics model; they are trying to capture the probability distribution, but in a very backwards way. We never known whether the ensemble distribution is representative of reality, or just a distribution of the limitations of the underlying physics packages. 

AI model solutions generally reflect the probabilities of actual weather conditions occurring, which is why they are/will be so much better than our current model outputs.  Add in the simplicity of adding additional data (adding additional vectors without having to bother with physics whackamole), the infinite geographic scaling and you end up with a completely different category of weather prediction that what we’re familiar with. 

Part of the existential crisis in weather forecasting behind closed doors right now is that this technology renders the NBM and much of the existing forecasting infrastructure obsolete, along with a lot of jobs devoted to developing and servicing the large global deterministic models. Lots of competing pressures and entrenched interests. 

There is still a real issue of point forecasting and nowcasts, which still isn't great.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mjreich said:

Part of the existential crisis in weather forecasting behind closed doors right now is that this technology renders the NBM and much of the existing forecasting infrastructure obsolete, along with a lot of jobs devoted to developing and servicing the large global deterministic models. Lots of competing pressures and entrenched interests. 

Classic tale of technology advancement.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

1 minute ago, iFred said:

My response was reverse psychology too!

4-D chess... well played.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Especially if this event works out…I’ll look back on the last 8 winters as the golden age of snowfall. So many awesome snow events the last few years. Historically it’s been way better than average. It’ll be tough when things go back to normal for a few years. 

It has been a good run.  A good number of freezing max temps recently and snow most winters.  A much needed cold January would really round it out.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

20 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

Mossy male votes NO

Needs to trend north a few miles. 

• Downvote 1
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

13 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

You were there during the horrible period.  No doubt our winters bottomed out many years ago.

Yeah, I lived in the Tacoma area from 1990-1997 and 1999-2006. The first period was obviously better than the second, but definitely not as much snow as the last 7 years.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

Welp, no action on the GFS in the believable range. Maybe the long range will start to show some colder temps.

• Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

There is still a real issue of point forecasting and nowcasts, which still isn't great.

For sure, but this will likely be improved as training expands to include synthetic meso- and local scale data. Now that the global systems are largely past the proof of concept stage, the finer grained tools are just a matter of time. 

Exciting stuff! Thanks for all the hard work making this forum what it is 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Classic tale of technology advancement.

The flip side is that there will need a lot more skilled human reviewers to validate the forecast. Effectively looking for the notorious Gen AI six fingered, three handed fakes to say "yeah, this Microsoft BinGFS is correct in forecasting 43 below in Miami."

• Like 3
  • Sun 1

16 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Is it possible for you to move?

I saw on zillow today that there are some condos on Snoqualmie Pass.  They get like 400" up there.  Need to do more research, but it's tempting. 😉

• Like 1

Just now, mjreich said:

For sure, but this will likely be improved as training expands to include synthetic meso- and local scale data. Now that the global systems are largely past the proof of concept stage, the finer grained tools are just a matter of time. 

Exciting stuff! Thanks for all the hard work making this forum what it is 😊

Better scrape that PWS data from The Weather Company before IBM realizes the gold mine they're sitting on.

• scream 1

16 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

The Euro is gonna cave to the GFS tonight and Santa is going to die. The Spire is onto something with the bulk of the Arctic air sliding east, not that we need a huge trough to get snow anyways since the 12z GFS showed an overrunning event, so why don't we just sneak in a brief 24 hour bleedout 30F overrunning event to shut you annoying hyped losers up and reset the pattern by hr168 so I can go back to planting daffodils and sharing warm EPS maps. As I've said many times before, once the holidays are over snow loses its magic and just becomes inconvenient to real people with actual lives.

Lol

9 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Yeah, I lived in the Tacoma area from 1990-1997 and 1999-2006. The first period was obviously better than the second, but definitely not as much snow as the last 7 years.

1999 - 2006 was awful.  Interestingly the second worse was 1938 - 1946.  Major recovery after both terrible periods.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Mercurial said:

I saw on zillow today that there are some condos on Snoqualmie Pass.  They get like 400" up there.  Need to do more research, but it's tempting. 😉

Worked with a guy that lived up there in the winter. The number of "I nearly died coming into work" talk kind of put me off.

Leavenworth though...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mercurial said:

Pretty sure the price is VERY HIGH

• Like 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

1 minute ago, SeanNyberg said:

The trends are looking great w/ today's models. image.thumb.png.634e9ce88b6917a7009f9161b71db9a2.pngimage.thumb.png.376d181458d9339151911d0e1aed5b2a.pnggem-all-seattle-t2m_f_dprog-5168800.thumb.png.2077072f318025020baf9e6843cda069.pngimage.thumb.png.376d181458d9339151911d0e1aed5b2a.png

image.png

This GFS change makes no logical sense. How are the 3 tallest locations in the state warmer while the same time all the lowlands are colder. What a garbage model. 

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

18 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

00z preview:

americanizing beam | Japanizing Beam! | Know your meme, Boogie woogie,  Super smash brothers

• Like 1
  • lol 3
  • scream 1
  • bongocat-test 1

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

The flip side is that there will need a lot more skilled human reviewers to validate the forecast. Effectively looking for the notorious Gen AI six fingered, three handed fakes to say "yeah, this Microsoft BinGFS is correct in forecasting 43 below in Miami."

Does it really do fake outs like that?

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Worked with a guy that lived up there in the winter. The number of "I nearly died coming into work" talk kind of put me off.

Leavenworth though...

I would just consider it if I were required to work hybrid for a Seattle employer (like 2x per week or so).  But obviously a lot of considerations, like where's the nearest grocery store, etc.  

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

This GFS change makes no logical sense. How are the 3 tallest locations in the state warmer while the same time all the lowlands are colder. What a garbage model. 

The uppers did not trend as cool as the surface did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Port Angeles Foothiller said:

Is this meant to be a joke? 

• Like 2

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

Leavenworth though...

Probably highway 18. I hate that road,  semi trucks should not be allowed until they repair the road and add lanes. One of the most dangerous roads in the state!!

We come from the land of the ice and snow.