2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Did you have ChatGPT write this?

ChatGPT with some edits to mask the artificial-ness.

• Like 5

For my location only I like the GFS but hoping it is cold enough to get all that snow my corner is looking to get per GFS and some of the other models. Just hoping my location isn't too warm because NWS Spokane says SE WA could be favored late week.

What isn't so great: That ice storm in Portland would be absolutely horrible. That would be a disaster. It also gives me some ice a week later on the run too.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

4 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

Well trends are not good for Olympia south tonight. Hopefully we can get some of those better runs back but we’re running out of time.

And even for us in the central Sound, the situation became a lot more precarious despite the pepto maps these models are spitting out. I would so much rather have a regional blast down to Tiger and let the snow take care of itself later.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

CMCE far better than the Op. The Dalles the op was a warm outlier. Check out Moses Lake and note the large cluster of bitter members. Hmmm....

chart(9).png

chart(8).png

It to is also snowy 

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-or_wa-total_snow_10to1-5330800.png

• Like 3
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1

195572.png?1673757432

23 hours ago, Randyc321 said:

Let us know when you on board @Gummy.  You are super picky.   If you think it's gonna snow and get cold that's good enough for me.  🧐

Definitely not on board yet. I will update again on Wednesday night, hopefully it is sorted out by then and I can make a final determination.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

4 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

I'd just like to point out that it is entirely possible here that the well established ECMWF lives up to it reputation of unparalleled accuracy within 7 days, flanked by the new guard of AI and private RO satellite driven models that are actually far superior but just haven't been proven to the masses yet. If all of these models live up to what they are *claimed* to be, then there is one slam dunk answer here: a historic arctic blast and at minimum several days of bitter cold west of the Cascades. This could absolutely be a situation here where the setup is so complex that it's throwing all the lower skill models for a loop, while the ultra fancy new tech handles it just fine. It's possible all the disappointment will be shown to be nothing more than indignant shrieking of a bunch of boomers who refuse to accept the wonderful technological advancements we have before us. 😘

I think this is the first time any of these AI models have performed for an Arctic event here. Hold your naive optimism for a second and stop standing over other people when you have no proof.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 3

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

It to is also snowy 

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-or_wa-total_snow_10to1-5330800.png

Only 23” for me. 😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Snow 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just now, SpaceRace22 said:

I didn't say it's the most likely outcome, just that it's a possibility. It's not like there is 0 data to support GraphCast's accuracy, and you fundamentally misunderstand how machine learning works if you think AI can't recognize and account for brand new situations.

I know you're miserable and it bothers you when everyone else isn't as well, but I'm never going to apologize for being an optimist, xoxo

I don't really understand what you said that anyone would take issue with. Who cares. I don't want AI in any aspect in our lives personally, but whatever. Well, I will say the overdone "boomer" slang is getting old from everyone. That's about it.
00z ECMWF in 15 minutes H U G E  R U N

• Like 2

Just now, Cascadia_Wx said:

It was a great afternoon to get a quick snow fix up on Hood. Did the short two mile snowshoe to Trillium Lake. Temps were in the upper 20s and it was snowing lightly much of the time. For contrast, we were up at the same spot last Saturday and there was basically zero snow. The Cascades have done well this week, and at very least that looks to continue.

IMG_8626.jpeg

IMG_8628.jpeg

IMG_8629.jpeg

IMG_8630.jpeg

IMG_8635.jpeg

IMG_8637.jpeg

Beautiful! Look at all of those fishing spots available too!

• Like 1

Just now, Perturbed Member said:

IBM/Weather.com is all we have got left down here in PDX. Doesn't look like they got the memo from the GFS yet. 

image.thumb.png.008da0bccc27e03c55d3f51d193f44f7.png

Ice storm preparation time methinks 

• lol 1
  • Shivering 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

I don't really understand what you said that anyone would take issue with. Who cares. I don't want AI in any aspect in our lives personally, but whatever. Well, I will say the overdone "boomer" slang is getting old from everyone. That's about it.
00z ECMWF in 15 minutes H U G E  R U N

Yeah I don't actually disagree that there are some pretty grave concerns about AI in general. With weather forecasting though it definitely seems like it could be one of the few use cases where it makes a ton of sense and could be pretty useful. I guess we'll find out soon!

The boomer thing was meant tongue in cheek, my bad if it didn't come across how I wanted it to.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Operational models clearly are still struggling. Dang. CMCE The Dalles surface temps. Large cluster of bitter members.

chart(10).png

we have a pretty large cluster of bitter members on here tonight

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • lol 3

Yeesh. All I was trying to do was inject some positivity in here and everyone lost their minds at me. I apologize if it came off snotty or "obsessed with AI". To be clear, I absolutely do not think the GraphCast is correct here and it's quite clear what the trend tonight is. Everyone chill out.

• Like 4
  • bongocat-test 1

5 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

I posted some overly optimistic word vomit and they both jumped on me. I'm just matching energy.

I thought what you wrote was fine, my response was meant to be humorous.

• Like 5
  • lol 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Maybe if we unplug and plug back in the models it will fix those ugly glitches! 
image.gif

• Like 3
  • lol 5
  • bongocat-test 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I thought what you wrote was fine, my response was meant to be humorous.

Apologies for reading it in the worst possible light then, my bad. It's felt like you've for whatever reason had it out for me lately, and I was too quick to assume that was another one of those times. No harm no foul, xoxo

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Slushy Inch said:

Andrew was cancelled?

I’m wondering if he saw any snow the last few days. Coming down the hill, there was snow on the ground all the way down to Brightwood (we drove up the Hood River side). Rhododendron had several inches.

Let me know when you see this @SilverFallsAndrew

• Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes