PNW November 2021 Wx Obs/Discussion

Meatyorologist

1933-34

• Excited 2
  • Rain 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 minutes ago, Tyler Mode said:

So nice to walk outside without getting completely drenched and you can see the moon.  All the way down to 52 degrees...brrrrrrr

We said the same thing tonight.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 hours ago, bainbridgekid said:

Back edge of the rain should be through Seattle by around 3 PM. Looks like they will get very little in the next 24 hours before the next round starts late tomorrow afternoon/evening.

I'll be at the Husky game at 4 PM so holding out hope that round holds off as long as possible. WRF showed nothing in Seattle till 7 PM.

ECMWF shows the deluge beginning again in Seattle tomorrow between 4-5 p.m.     Going to be nasty for the game.   Too bad its not a noon or 1 p.m. kick off.  

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 hour ago, snow_wizard said:

Wow!  I thought he had disappeared off the face of the Earth.  I've been using the NCEP values for months now.  This is one of the most robust -PDO events on record.

I went to another site, and it shows an astounding -3.06 in October!

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/teleconnections/pdo/

• Excited 1

2 hours ago, The Swamp said:

i hope it doesn't flood, wow, that's some serious water into The Swamp

Is your place a rain magnet? Hence why you call it The Swamp?

• Confused 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Snoqualmie River has peaked now and is starting to come down... looks like the peak was around 29cfs which a far cry from the 52cfs the graph showed yesterday morning.      It ended up at the high end of the minor flooding category as opposed to major flooding.   We didn't see any standing water in North Bend this evening.  

5 minutes ago, LowerGarfield said:

Is your place a rain magnet? Hence why you call it The Swamp?

It’s called the swamp because when it snows everywhere, it rains in the “swamp” aka Puyallup. It’s a notorious snow hole for a variety of reasons 

• scream 1

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

We went out for dinner in North Bend tonight... it is incredibly nice outside.   Moon and stars are shining and there is no wind at all and it's warm.   My wife knew it was not raining but she instinctively braced herself walking out of the restaurant for rain and wind and was pleasantly surprised.  😀

How could someone be pleasantly surprised for something they knew was gonna happen?

• Windy 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm wondering if after this big rainy pattern with the succession of ARs finally abates Monday night/Tuesday morning that shortly after we may see big model changes in our favor. I would be a bit more confident with that if we were at the end of the month into December. We shall see. C'MON!!!!

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

2 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

How could someone be pleasantly surprised for something they knew was gonna happen?

She was pleasantly surprised that her instinct was wrong... she knew it was not raining when we went inside but did not think about it when walking out.   I saw her wince and put her head down to brace herself before opening the door and then she smiled when she got outside.

• Like 1