November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Just now, RayRay said:

Is he mentioning us? That Cliff mass??

I think Cliff Mass has been spying on us!

2C564141-284C-4A01-8E24-B9BFA5B99552.thumb.png.ecbb8727d0c932a0761f219368b0fcac.png

I'm getting serious de ja vu here. I swear we had this exact same discussion last December about snow depth vs. snowfall, and I feel like we all know the difference.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

2 minutes ago, CloudJunkie said:

We've got a rain/snow mix in Lakewood! It's 40 degrees out, kind of surprising.

Wow, that's gotta be at the very upper limit of temps for snow to not melt by the time it reaches the ground.

• Weenie 1

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

I do also feel like Cliff gets a bit too much hate here. The only things that I could point out he could do better are the ways he communicates (can be a bit confrontational) and over-relying on WRF. The latter is understandable considering his contributions to it.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

My Twitter

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Cliff Mass reads this forum for sure. He finds it humorous. he was wrong last December. 😊

I know ground temperature is basically irrelevant... that is just silly.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Is he mentioning us? That Cliff mass??

I think Cliff Mass has been spying on us!

2C564141-284C-4A01-8E24-B9BFA5B99552.thumb.png.ecbb8727d0c932a0761f219368b0fcac.png

This forum has snow cabins up in that guy's head, livin' rent free and everything. 

• Like 1
  • lol 2

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

2 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Cliff Mass reads this forum for sure. He finds it humorous. he was wrong last December. 😊

We know that Justin at SWB reads it, and Cliff most likely reads it too. I have a feeling there are plenty of other prominent lurkers. Wish some of them would chip in sometimes!

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

My Twitter

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Oh God, here he goes with the road temperatures again. Good Lord that shtick got old a decade ago.

If I had a nickel for every time Cliff Mass said we would not get snow because road temps were in the upper 30s, I would have enough money to buy the dumpster fire that is Twitter from Elon Musk. 

Important for him to point out though cause of the amount of new and not-as-knowledgeable readers he gets.

My Twitter

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

Oh God, here he goes with the road temperatures again. Good Lord that shtick got old a decade ago.

If I had a nickel for every time Cliff Mass said we would not get snow because road temps were in the upper 30s, I would have enough money to buy the dumpster fire that is Twitter from Elon Musk. 

He's a smart dude but crap like this is why i loose respect for his forecast.  I have seen 60 degrees at my cabin and have it snow the same night 8 inches on a warm ground and pavement roads.

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

7 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

It’s amusing to watch his blog when his forecasts bust. He starts out by being so certain and assertive about them “this is what we know will happen”, etc. Then if it doesn’t happen, he falls oddly silent and doesn’t post for a while.

Not saying they guy’s forecasts always bust (sometimes he nails it). Just that when they do, the level of emotional involvement is obvious. A more humble/less emotionally involved forecaster wouldn’t be shy about following up with a “this is why I was wrong” postmortem.

• Like 1
  • lol 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

He puts wayyyyy too much stock into that metric to determine that snow amounts will underperform. With heavy enough precip (which this event is at least partially relying on) the snow rates can overcome slightly "warm" road temps pretty quickly. I've seen it happen many times even after 'ol Cliff says it simply can't be done!

This is especially true at night.

However, in this case it's definitely not the "warm" ground/roads that will likely limit accumulations for many lower elevations. It's the actual air temperature.

It's not like the ground is that warm anyway...it's been pretty cool.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

He puts wayyyyy too much stock into that metric to determine that snow amounts will underperform. With heavy enough precip (which this event is at least partially relying on) the snow rates can overcome slightly "warm" road temps pretty quickly. I've seen it happen many times even after 'ol Cliff says it simply can't be done!

January 15th, 2020 I remember a cell came through and rapidly cooled the air and coated road surfaces in a very concrete area of Capitol Hill. Wasn't as interested in weather forecasting at the time so it took me by surprise. Point is, like you said, there's plenty of evidence of these types of things overpowering high temps and road temps to let snow (briefly) stick.

snow3.thumb.png.30ba587f544a911bcb3c697630549870.pngsnow1.thumb.png.0ac3275083ea27d0b200ac8d0c7fa842.pngsnow2.thumb.png.f0f4c8611ea0cb7e9d7a77bfac316433.png

• Like 7

My Twitter

13 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

That roadway surface bullshit gets old. The ground will cool and snow will stick in a hurry. we've all experienced this.

Spring time up here we have gone from upper 60's to 6" on snow on the ground in 3 hours many times. The warm ground thing is stupid. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Lol.  Nice. 

I think it's just lazy writing.  It's common sense that snow won't stick immediately on warmish wet roads. 

All the "amateurs" on this forum have mostly fully developed frontal lobes and have a firm understanding that water melts ice.

GTFO Cliff