PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

12 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

I guess you could call it a bit of a blend here but mostly on team Euro. There's been very brief ice pellets but mostly zr. Same as PDX official station. Models really nailed this in the sense that for all our wishcasting with meso obs etc we basically had no snow.

Yep, the models pretty much showed it starts as sleet and going to ZR and that seems to be exactly how it is happening. I think the models will be too quick in warming up the surface but so far they are nailing this. 

• Like 2

Honestly I’m glad that there’s going to be more to track even after we warm up. Part of me was getting kind of bummed we wouldn’t have any fun model riding to do for a while until the next arctic blast but it looks like there is some windstorm potential next week! That will sure be fun to track!

• Like 1

2024 Warm Season Stats

Number of 80+ days - 21

Number of 85+ days - 17

Number of 90+ days - 3

Number of 95+ days - 2 (Warmest so far - 96)

Number of 60+ lows - 1

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Is it supposed to be fairly windy overnight into tomorrow? Winds seem to have calmed down a bit which would help mitigate the damage. It can be worse if it’s windy with trees and power lines weighed down. 

Supposed to be SE winds up to 40 mph in some areas like North Bend. 

Just now, joelgombiner said:

Supposed to be SE winds up to 40 mph in some areas like North Bend. 

Yikes. That’s probably right after the freezing rain ends and the warm tongue starts to creep up the foothills. There’s going to be some significant problems created by this storm…especially if we start getting even breezy. Sea-tac and a lot of the highways are going to be a nightmare tomorrow and many people will probably lose power. 

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Yikes. That’s probably right after the freezing rain ends and the warm tongue starts to creep up the foothills. There’s going to be some significant problems created by this storm…especially if we start getting even breezy. Sea-tac and a lot of the highways are going to be a nightmare tomorrow and many people will probably lose power. 

Agreed. The E wind is gusting over 45 at some spots out there, and is supposed to continue throughout the storm. It's also advecting in cold air from the Columbia basin, which will keep precip frozen for longer. Looking like a bit of a nightmare scenario. Hope I'm wrong. 

13 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Is it supposed to be fairly windy overnight into tomorrow? Winds seem to have calmed down a bit which would help mitigate the damage. It can be worse if it’s windy with trees and power lines weighed down. 

Not sure about the sound but it is shaking the house over here. Corbett is still gusting 60+ as well-- they're forecast to get .5+ inches of ice.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

You sure it’s from the south? There’s very strong offshore flow present at the surface all the way out to the coast right now…even down in Oregon. 

All the way down to the north Umpqua Basin, this is a legit low-level blast.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

You sure it’s from the south? There’s very strong offshore flow present at the surface all the way out to the coast right now…even down in Oregon. 

The weather stations by me had gusts 5-10mph from the south. Now they are just 1-5mph from the north……

guess I was jumping the gun😂

• lol 1

Just now, Requiem said:

Not sure about the sound but it is shaking the house over here. Corbett is still gusting 60+ as well-- they're forecast to get .5+ inches of ice.

Atleast that area in the gorge is “ somewhat” acclimated to ice storms. Up here ice storms especially of the magnitude possible tomorrow are pretty rare…so the damage to our area which isn’t acclimated for this could be bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, SouthHillFrosty said:

The weather stations by me had gusts 5-10mph from the south. Now they are just 1-5mph from the north……

guess I was jumping the gun😂

Maybe SE? Winds are pretty light in the sound right now. We're kind of in a sheltered N-S basin from the strong easterly flow. 

• Like 1

A very impressive 21/17 here today.  That east wind is COLD!

Looks like North Bend drew the short straw for wind on this one in King County with gusts well into the 50s. 

Then you have Corbett OR gusting to 78!

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 50

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Blizzard777 said:

You scared me lol

I don’t have my own weather station so I was looking at couple different stations on weather underground lol. 

This better be the year the fiancé gets me a weather station😂😂😂. Only year 4 of asking. 

• Like 4