PNW April 2023 Weather Discussion

Cascadia_Wx

6 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

95 at Roseburg is a new heat record for the month of April, breaking the previous record of 92.

Please stop reporting inter hourly obs like they are actual temps. Monthly records are a big deal, better to wait for the six hour max report in like ten minutes.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Facepalm 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

8 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Please stop reporting inter hourly obs like they are actual temps. Monthly records are a big deal, better to wait for the six hour max report in like ten minutes.

Okay. I will just wait for the max report from here on out before saying anything definitive.

• Thanks 1

SE valley with a very warm day.

image.png

• Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

25 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

For all the “cold” the last 5-6 months we somehow avoided an event that broke widespread all time monthly records. 

I would love to have a couple days of all time record cold weather as opposed to 6 months of persistent cold.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Kelso and Aurora hit 91, Hillsboro and Salem hit 90 today. At least it doesn't look hot for the near future. Hopefully we can see some thunderstorms next week

Also a nice note at the end of the Portland AFD

Side note: Today marks the end of my 33-year career in the National
Weather Service, 29 of which have been at the Portland, OR office.
Looking forward to enjoying the retired life. Weishaar
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Yard is green. 

67521032-B7F4-436B-BFCC-16EDD1299AE7.jpeg

Looks great.  Our yard has some large dead spots that are clearly not coming back.    I let it go dormant last summer and got screwed.    Other people let their yards go dormant and it comes back every spring.   Don't get it.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

15 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Kelso and Aurora hit 91, Hillsboro and Salem hit 90 today. At least it doesn't look hot for the near future. Hopefully we can see some thunderstorms next week

Also a nice note at the end of the Portland AFD

Side note: Today marks the end of my 33-year career in the National
Weather Service, 29 of which have been at the Portland, OR office.
Looking forward to enjoying the retired life. Weishaar

I always liked his AFDs. They seemed more coherent and informative than most. Maybe he can join the forum now that he'll have more free time! 😃

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Looks great.  Our yard has some large dead spots that are clearly not coming back.    I let it go dormant last summer and got screwed.    Other people let their yards go dormant and it comes back every spring.   Don't get it.

It’s an illusion. There are holes everywhere and as soon as the big dry comes it will be a patchwork.  It was neglected for years before we bought the place, and without a sprinkler system it’s gonna be hard for it to really come back. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Looks like someone hit the nursery today. 

My wife and kids did while I was mowing. 🙂

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Lovely evening sky. 
74/43 on the day, currently 57. 

A27C15C0-1AE6-478F-BB6D-27329B9B2520.jpeg

Still 73 in North Bend... light east wind out here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Anecdotal, but of the dozens of yards I look after, the ones with very silty or sandy soils don’t seem to do well when they go dormant for too long.  Not sure what your soil is like. 

• Like 1

The microclimates were pretty shocking today. It only got to 64 at my place close to the water while it looks like Marblemount up the Skagit River hit 90-91F with all the down sloping. And where I was near Diablo Lake today at about 1,200' and even further up river it was probably in the upper 60s to low 70s.

• Like 4

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)