PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

2 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

If there were no cold GEFS members I would be a lot more worried. Important to remember GFS caved big for Sunday already.1671235200-gazYmsJi71A.png

I’m fairly confident the GFS will cave in the 12z run. We’re getting inside that key 3 day window now where models should start aligning with each other.

• Like 5

GEFS seems significantly worse but still okay for low level cold. But seriously, can this model screw off already with the mind games

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

In a way I'm somewhat relieved to be on the outside looking in on this one with the emotional roller coaster y'all have gotta be experiencing up north.

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

11 minutes ago, Requiem said:

GEFS seems significantly worse but still okay for low level cold. But seriously, can this model screw off already with the mind games

Vile how much worse it is. Either this model is having problems so bad that I'm wondering how it's even acceptable to be reliant on, or it's right and every other model is not. 

edit: just gonna go to bed because the go eff yourSelf model is irritating me. Hope for good trends!

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

North Sound under a Winter Weather Advisory from 4pm today to 4pm tomorrow with the expectation of 1-3" of accumulation of "mixed precipitation". . . I swear, forecasting was better when I started following the weather back in the early 2000s. Synoptic forecasting hasn't advanced one bit in the last 20 years. I literally have no idea what's going to happen. . . This feature has me a bit amped. Tremendous cold to the N and that little surface low off the VI coast. Should do the trick. gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_6.png 

Edited by Brennan
  • Like 1
  • Snow 1

Very foggy here with thick frost... was not expecting so much fog but apparently onshore flow is increasing now and the wind is in the process of switching from east to south this morning.    

And what happens the next 5 days is clear as mud.   The ECMWF, EPS, and control run all took a step back with the cold but are all snowier now for the Seattle area as a result of less southward suppression.

The 06Z GFS was a little colder and shows much more snow up north for Whatcom County and SW BC with the transition process on Thursday into Friday.

So I guess they all went towards compromise.

• Like 4
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Very foggy here with thick frost... was not expecting so much fog but apparently onshore flow is increasing now and the wind is in the process of switching from east to south this morning.    

And what happens the next 5 days is clear as mud.   The ECMWF, EPS, and control run all took a step back with the cold but are all snowier now for the Seattle area as a result of less southward suppression.

Are you referencing the 06z the access I get on tropical is not good. Looked warmer and moister

• Like 1

12Z NAM still sending the snow on Tuesday way north... but is actually much colder for Portland presumably because that allows for an east wind through the gorge.

nam-218-all-nw-snow_24hr_kuchera-1580800.png

nam-218-all-nw-t2m_f_max6-1580800.png

• Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:
At 4 AM arctic front moving down into southern BC.
No description available.

Seems like now is as good as time as any to start tracking this thing in realtime. Models have been garbage anyway!

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

6 minutes ago, Joshua Lake Oswego said:

Guys, it can’t snow if there is no precipitation. The GFS has been right for the last 6-8 runs. There’s very little QPF to work with. Every system keeps getting neutered, split, or goes 8 million miles north. A tale as old as time.

Pack it up everyone. This one is over. Shut the forum down.

20 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just noticed that the 06Z ICON brought back a major snowstorm for Tuesday.   The 12Z run is starting now.

icon-all-washington-total_snow_10to1-1688800.png

The ups and downs the last few days on the models has been torture. I think it’s safe to say IMO I’ve never seen it so bad. Odds are definitely a little better for a good outcome in western WA…but it also feels like the rug could be pulled out entirely on everyone south of the border at a moments notice or everyone could be huge winners just 72 HOURS out. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Waiting for the 12Z ICON snow map on WB... but I can tell its going to be pretty ridiculous for the Seattle area.

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_28.png

Wow, that is some eye candy.

Flying up to Boise this afternoon. Had to pull the thicker clothing out of the storage unit (Aka the in laws garage).

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL