March in the Pacific Northwest

Just got back from the coast. 4" of snow here with about 1/4" of ice on top of it. I-84 was a mess. 

Great to see some March snow, though!

Loved that picture from the coast!    I was thinking you would have snow out there.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

I saw a few days ago an article somewhere about how the Pac Northwest is expected to have a hot and dry summer? I would be ok with that! Hopefully we will have a nice spring like we had last year as well.

Where did you read that? Yuck, I hope not.

DJF departures:

EUG -2.8

PDX -2.5

SLE -1.5

Broke down like this

PDX:

Dec: -4.0

Jan:  0

Feb: -3.5

Snow: 8"

SLE:

Dec: -3.9

Jan: +0.1

Feb: -0.8

Snow: 10-12"

EUG:

Dec: -6.3

Jan: -1.0

Feb: -1.1

Snow: 15.7"

Wow. What a horrible, torchy winter. ;)

I don't live in Washington, but I have a question for you here. Did you simply just get tired of the weather and working outdoors in it during the last 3-4 years of your former profession, or did the weather recently transition into a wetter and cloudier regime overall than it was in the previous 15 years or so? Just curious.

That timeframe has always been difficult for me, seems like we go through phases up here with two or three lousy springs followed by one or two nice springs. But the spring of 2010, 2011, & 2012 were all just terrible and the last one sealed the deal. Three in a row tipped me over the edge! Does seem like springs have been slowly getting worse and worse with the exception of last year.

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Jerk.

Wishing misery on most everyone around you and hoping our climate is way outside its norm in a bad way... so that your computer screen is easier to read?    Try closing the shades.    :lol:

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just read through this whole thread thus far. Looks like Bellingham got some snow. Eastern Washington got impressively cold. Billings, MT set a new all time March low of -20F. There were some winter recaps. Tim was being a jerk to everyone about their snow chances. There was a rant about our crappy springs and summers. Kyle (Tri-Force [TheBigOne]) made some utterly nonsensical posts here and there. Good stuff!

Now I'm all caught up. :)

• Like 1

Just read through this whole thread thus far. Looks like Bellingham got some snow. Eastern Washington got impressively cold. Billings, MT set a new all time March low of -20F. There were some winter recaps. Tim was being a jerk to everyone about their snow chances. There was a rant about our crappy springs and summers. Kyle (Tri-Force [TheBigOne]) made some utterly nonsensical posts here and there. Good stuff!

Hope you had a great weekend!      Much better than being on here.    Although being home for the snow might have been nice.

Yep, thats about it too.  Perfect summary.

This airmass was such a monster for this late. Too bad it couldn't have come just a little further west and south.

Oh well, at least I have some snow in my yard. Although it probably won't last through tomorrow. PDX is up to 53 already.

That timeframe has always been difficult for me, seems like we go through phases up here with two or three lousy springs followed by one or two nice springs. But the spring of 2010, 2011, & 2012 were all just terrible and the last one sealed the deal. Three in a row tipped me over the edge! Does seem like springs have been slowly getting worse and worse with the exception of last year.

That's right, I remember reading about the springs of 2010 and 2011 in particular on here on how cloudy and rainy it was during that time. The summer of 2010 was the coolest summer I have ever experienced here in inland Orange County (California) and I have lived here my entire life. Almost constant NW troughing kept that summer much cooler than average for the most part and felt more like spring than summer.

This airmass was such a monster for this late. Too bad it couldn't have come just a little further west and south.

Oh well, at least I have some snow in my yard. Although it probably won't last through tomorrow. PDX is up to 53 already.

This was almost the same setup as 1960, unfortunately just missed it by a couple hundred miles.

Wichita, KS, for example had a high of 11 today. Their only colder March day was 3/4/1960 with a high of 9.

• Like 1

Hope you had a great weekend!      Much better than being on here.    Although being home for the snow might have been nice.

It was a lot of fun. Staying at the lighthouse keeper's quarters was incredible. Such a beautiful old building. Being able to just walk down to the lighthouse at any time is pretty cool. The first night was amazing, the wind was calm and the stars were out.

This was almost the same setup as 1960, unfortunately just missed it by a couple hundred miles.

Wichita, KS, for example had a high of 11 today. Their only colder March day was 3/4/1960 with a high of 9.

Was just looking through the 500mb maps from the 1960 event... very similar overall.

Even the lobe of cold air that rotates off the BC coast and puts us into wet, westerly flow.     

I hope the pattern keeps evolving the same way so we get that ridge and warm weather like 3/18-25 1960.

The next week of weather looks bloody miserable. Nothing dynamic, just tons of mild rain. Not even good for the mountains.

Big time.

And next weekend looks like we will be stuck inside watching it rain again as well. 

That ridge just can't amplify enough.

Well go figure. The ENTIRE storm is going to end up being south of NYC and we’ll end up with nothing but flurries. I might be mistaken, but it would seem that the same reason the PNW winter weather busted is the same reason the storm is being suppressed so far south over here. PV was suppose to dig further SW (according to models about 3-4 days ago) but instead it drifted south and east.. Storms in the PNW went to far north, storm over here went south.. I THINK US PNW people are just cursed.  :wacko:

• Like 1

Well go figure. The ENTIRE storm is going to end up being south of NYC and we’ll end up with nothing but flurries. I might be mistaken, but it would seem that the same reason the PNW winter weather busted is the same reason the storm is being suppressed so far south over here. PV was suppose to dig further SW (according to models about 3-4 days ago) but instead it drifted south and east.. Storms in the PNW went to far north, storm over here went south.. I THINK US PNW people are just cursed.  :wacko:

I'm glad NYC didn't get hit for the simple fact that they have had enough snow this winter.

Hope they torch next year with 0 inches.  :lol:

I'm glad NYC didn't get hit for the simple fact that they have had enough snow this winter.

Hope they torch next year with 0 inches.  :lol:

Ok.. So places like Philly and Washington DC are getting all of the snow... Both places have had it just as bad as NYC this winter. Your logic therefore makes no sense. 

Well go figure. The ENTIRE storm is going to end up being south of NYC and we’ll end up with nothing but flurries. I might be mistaken, but it would seem that the same reason the PNW winter weather busted is the same reason the storm is being suppressed so far south over here. PV was suppose to dig further SW (according to models about 3-4 days ago) but instead it drifted south and east.. Storms in the PNW went to far north, storm over here went south.. I THINK US PNW people are just cursed. :wacko:

Yep, total bust here too..as tends to be the case with WAA-oriented storms. I can't believe it's midday in early March and it's 3 degrees outside.

I also just realized that I haven't seen liquid precipitation in almost 3 months, or in 25% of a year. It's been that cold.. :lol:

Hope they torch next year with 0 inches. :lol:

I'm just glad New England is missing out. I'm still pissed over the February 2013 storm that whiffed me completely and gave them 25" w/ 80mph winds at the coast.

When I checked the pass report for Snoqualmie at 6AM the temp was at 33 degrees, now 3hrs later its at 23! Pass is closed probably for a while for snow and trees on roadway. Glad I am not traveling over the pass this week. Easterly winds must have kicked back in to drop the temp that much?

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

When I checked the pass report for Snoqualmie at 6AM the temp was at 33 degrees, now 3hrs later its at 23! Pass is closed probably for a while for snow and trees on roadway. Glad I am not traveling over the pass this week. Easterly winds must have kicked back in to drop the temp that much?

Passes are getting hammered.

You're actually right about that and I give you credit for trying to figure it out.

There ARE secret societies out there that are doing really insane sick stuff (Skulls and Bones) (The Muslim Brotherhood) (Zionists).etc and scientists are learning that our thoughts if we have a powerful enough will can actually create energies that are more *spiritual* that later manifest in the most appropriate way.    If you research you will find thru various tests such as the *rice experiment* and the *water* test  http://themindunleashed.org/2014/01/scientific-proof-thoughts-intentions-can-alter-physical-world-around-us.html

Look at the pictures of the *Rice test*. Which jar do you prefer?

I wouldn't rule out sick societies aiming for weather control who's goal if that is indeed true would be to ruin American crops so they will try to *steer* storms into the Midwest and Central USA where the corn belt is grown and to do that you need the high pressure ridges in the right positions long term.   

They don't give a crap about our weather as we are like in nowhere's land.  The depressing weather we are having is just a side effect of a larger plan to control the food wherever it's being grown.   It will likely effect our snowpacks but they aren't thinking about that when doing these dry run experiments.

There are a lot of military documents that the USA and especially China want to own the weather by 2025 thru the Star Wars weapons program that had a kick start in the mid to late 80s though I think they already own it and those documents are old.   :P    It will be a lot sooner then 2025 since technology went forward in leaps and bounds since the time those declassified military documents have been written.   

The first Bush signed the NAFTA act to started the first stage of our rights being eroded but in the end it's all up to us to decide to let the weather effect us or we see thru the BS and train our sub conscience to be positive so we won't sabotage our efforts. 

You can think positive thoughts all you want but if you have been trained you're sub conscience to be negative we will continue to attract that crap.

There ARE secret societies out there that are doing really insane sick stuff and scientists are learning that our thoughts if we have a powerful enough will can actually create energies that are more *spiritual* that later manifest in the most appropriate way.

I wouldn't rule out sick societies aiming for weather control who's goal if that is indeed true would be to ruin American crops so they will try to *steer* storms into the Midwest and Central USA where the corn belt is grown and to do that you need the high pressure ridges in the right positions long term. 

There are a lot of military documents that the USA and especially China want to own the weather by 2025 thru the Star Wars weapons program that had a kick start in the mid to late 80s though I think they already own it and those documents are old.   :P    It will be a lot sooner then 2025 since technology went forward in leaps and bounds since the time those declassified military documents have been written.   

The first Bush signed the NAFTA act to started the first stage of our rights being eroded.

Exactly.  

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Yep, total bust here too..as tends to be the case with WAA-oriented storms. I can't believe it's midday in early March and it's 3 degrees outside.

I also just realized that I haven't seen liquid precipitation in almost 3 months, or in 25% of a year. It's been that cold.. :lol:

How much longer is it going to take for this non-stop eastern cold pattern to finally come to an end to the point there is more variability in the jet stream patterns across the country? With the exception of this last storm that brought the heaviest rains to Socal in about 2-3 years, we have been under almost constant ridging, while the east has been under almost constant troughing since mid-December at least.

More ridging is expected this week and early next week with yet more highs in the 70's and low 80's here in Socal and this has been occurring for most of this winter like a broken record and it is really getting old. I am not ready for spring at this point and want some winter weather (rain and mountain snow) here for a while before spring sets in.

I thought my thermometer was wrong.  I just looked and it finally cracked 60 degrees, but several surrounding stations are as well.

It could be an interesting afternoon with this much surface warmth to play with.

I agree.  I am looking forward to lots of stray albinos wandering into our skies.

What's WAA?  Warm Air Advocation?