January 2020 Observations & Discussion

Hawkeye

No. Texas will be in the 50's for the next week.

Dry, low humidity. Sounds great.

We have a humidity of 23% today and 51*. Clear. Really nice day.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

12z Euro also coming into range with the late month storm aswell.

1580299200-R9qPBWwVfZ8.png

This one has a lot of potential to be a far reaching winter storm...nice way to end a rather Snowy month for those lucky enough to catch 3 winter storms in a row.  I think the Plains/MW is over due along with some of us around the lower lakes.

• Like 1

This one has a lot of potential to be a far reaching winter storm...nice way to end a rather Snowy month for those lucky enough to catch 3 winter storms in a row.  I think the Plains/MW is over due along with some of us around the lower lakes.

No doubt and I think this storm train will continue to roll through the 20th of Feb.

• Like 3

Attm, moderate snow w temps at 21F.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Definitely not showing any kind of extreme winter weather pattern

Yep, nothing extremely frigid down the road. Just average temps to slightly below or above.

• Like 1

Issued by: Detroit - MI, US, National Weather Service,

...Reduced Visibilities In Narrow Line Of Heavier Snow Showers... A narrow line of heavier snow showers along the M-59 corridor is dropping south and will make for difficult travel conditions. Visibility will briefly drop to a quarter mile or less and roads will quickly become snow covered and slippery. Be sure to put your headlights on and slow down as you enter the snow band. This snow shower activity should clear Livingston, Oakland, and Macomb counties by 4 PM.

• Like 2

Someone on the other forum posted a Euro ensemble EPO chart.  It has a solidly positive EPO for the foreseeable future.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Looking like a really "normal" to above normal finish to January is a lock in terms of temps in my area/region.

Possible skiff of snow or mixed precip in the modeling, but beyond that, winter stays contained just to my north.

My grass, clovers, and wild onions/garlic sprouting already are making things seem a bit more like spring than winter.

• Like 2

Boy, even though the pattern this week and the following week to close out January isn't necessarily conducive to support arctic cold, it is certainly going to be cold enough to support winter storms.  Could we end the month with a bang???  I think so and it will probably put the icing on the cake to what is trending to be a snowier month after a lack luster December into the first part of January for a lot of us.  I've been digging into the data and analyzing the cyclical pattern along with various other clues that are supporting my LR ideas of a "Southern Stream Dream" storm track.  I'm encouraged to see consistent run-to-run support of a substantial S Canadian blocking pattern taking hold and you can thank the 10mb pattern above which is "steering" storms farther south right at the time of year the jet stream is reaching its peak intensity.

Before we get into Feb, let's focus on the next Winter Storm that is showing up on the Euro Op/EPS/GEFS in the extended during the closing days of the month.  There are several reasons that lead me to believe this system will have a storm track that should become a "share the wealth" spread from the central Plains into the Lower Lakes.  Here are my reasons:

1) The system out near Japan tracks through S Japan with blocking over the top

gfs_mslpaNorm_npac_16.png

2) 10mb pattern during this period is suggesting a southern tier storm track (map below)

3) GEFS/EPS have been trending stronger with a Blocking pattern across the Upper MW/S &SE Canada region (Notice on the 10mb Strat map where the strongest heights are located and where the Day 10 Euro Op below is showing the strongest blocking).  Interesting correlation, ay???

ecmwf_mslpaNorm_namer_11.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_11.png

The Day 10 Euro snowfall map is eye candy for the Plains states as the system explodes and I could see this one become a Bowling Ball system that we will likely track.  This particular system has the characteristics for becoming a True "CO Low Bowling Ball".  Are we done after that???  Negative...the puck doesn't stop there as I'm expecting the next system during the opening days of Feb. 

FWIW, I can see why some may think winter is over, however, there are contradictory clues in the LR that we are definitely not entering a boring pattern as we are going to be in midst of the busiest part of the LRC.

I'll end this post with a bold call as it is going against what the models are currently showing.  As it stands now, the teleconnections are not supporting any substantial arctic air to infiltrate our pattern and I don't expect to see any this month.  However, if the 10mb/30mb illustrations below are any evidence of a potential Greenland Block and/or N Atlantic blocking pattern during the 1st week or so of Feb, this is the period I could see this development.  Check out how the warming all of a sudden shunts east towards Greenland/N ATL right around the 15th.  These maps have been useful at predicting where troughs/ridges end up growing (2-3 week lag period) in the LR so I'm starting to think there is some evidence that the models will trend towards more blocking late this month into early Feb across NE Canada/N ATL.  

temp10anim.gif

temp30anim.gif

Finally, the 00z GEFS Day 15 10mb Srat map below has a bulls-eye of warming tucked right inside NE Canada/Greenland, right where the LRC has had blocking develop over the course of this season.  I am a believer that there are going to be some notable trends in this region over the next week of model runs.

This 00z GEFS 10mb map is a big clue for a southern storm track as we enter Feb....it's not the only model showing this set up.

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_30.png

gem-ens_Tz10_nhem_30.png

• Like 5

Boy, even though the pattern this week and the following week to close out January isn't necessarily conducive to support arctic cold, it is certainly going to be cold enough to support winter storms.  Could we end the month with a bang???  I think so and it will probably put the icing on the cake to what is trending to be a snowier month after a lack luster December into the first part of January for a lot of us.  I've been digging into the data and analyzing the cyclical pattern along with various other clues that are supporting my LR ideas of a "Southern Stream Dream" storm track.  I'm encouraged to see consistent run-to-run support of a substantial S Canadian blocking pattern taking hold and you can thank the 10mb pattern above which is "steering" storms farther south right at the time of year the jet stream is reaching its peak intensity.

Before we get into Feb, let's focus on the next Winter Storm that is showing up on the Euro Op/EPS/GEFS in the extended during the closing days of the month.  There are several reasons that lead me to believe this system will have a storm track that should become a "share the wealth" spread from the central Plains into the Lower Lakes.  Here are my reasons:

1) The system out near Japan tracks through S Japan with blocking over the top

gfs_mslpaNorm_npac_16.png

2) 10mb pattern during this period is suggesting a southern tier storm track (map below)

3) GEFS/EPS have been trending stronger with a Blocking pattern across the Upper MW/S &SE Canada region (Notice on the 10mb Strat map where the strongest heights are located and where the Day 10 Euro Op below is showing the strongest blocking).  Interesting correlation, ay???

ecmwf_mslpaNorm_namer_11.png

ecmwf-ens_mslpaNorm_namer_11.png

The Day 10 Euro snowfall map is eye candy for the Plains states as the system explodes and I could see this one become a Bowling Ball system that we will likely track.  This particular system has the characteristics for becoming a True "CO Low Bowling Ball".  Are we done after that???  Negative...the puck doesn't stop there as I'm expecting the next system during the opening days of Feb. 

FWIW, I can see why some may think winter is over, however, there are contradictory clues in the LR that we are definitely not entering a boring pattern as we are going to be in midst of the busiest part of the LRC.

I'll end this post with a bold call as it is going against what the models are currently showing.  As it stands now, the teleconnections are not supporting any substantial arctic air to infiltrate our pattern and I don't expect to see any this month.  However, if the 10mb/30mb illustrations below are any evidence of a potential Greenland Block and/or N Atlantic blocking pattern during the 1st week or so of Feb, this is the period I could see this development.  Check out how the warming all of a sudden shunts east towards Greenland/N ATL right around the 15th.  These maps have been useful at predicting where troughs/ridges end up growing (2-3 week lag period) in the LR so I'm starting to think there is some evidence that the models will trend towards more blocking late this month into early Feb across NE Canada/N ATL.  

temp10anim.gif

temp30anim.gif

Finally, the 00z GEFS Day 15 10mb Srat map below has a bulls-eye of warming tucked right inside NE Canada/Greenland, right where the LRC has had blocking develop over the course of this season.  I am a believer that there are going to be some notable trends in this region over the next week of model runs.

This 00z GEFS 10mb map is a big clue for a southern storm track as we enter Feb....it's not the only model showing this set up.

gfs-ens_Tz10_nhem_30.png

gem-ens_Tz10_nhem_30.png

Denial just isn’t a river in Egypt, I see

At least you didn’t wishcast the next few months to be like 1977-78 this time. Keep up the hack forecasts, my man, you’re ruining what little credibility that you have left.

Denial just isn’t a river in Egypt, I see

At least you didn’t wishcast the next few months to be like 1977-78 this time. Keep up the hack forecasts, my man, you’re ruining what little credibility that you have left.

Ok Bob...your back hurting yet???

• Like 6

Ok Bob...your back hurting yet???

It snowed ... in Michigan ... in January. Heck of a call! My parents called and said they haven’t seen snow this deep since the ‘70s ... or November.

Serious question about your posts: Are they what you think is going to happen or are they the ways to potentially getting what you want — the coldest and snowiest outcome possible? It’s fine if it’s the second option but I disagree in your presentation as an objective view of what’s to come. Not everyone comes here for the same reasons.

I know I found this forum looking for something deeper than the nightly local news. Thought it was a place where those who knew weather talked about the weather (at least that’s how the forum is presented). It didn’t take long for me to see through the lingo and cherry-picked maps to see post after post on ways to get Snowmageddon in one’s backyard.

It snowed ... in Michigan ... in January. Heck of a call! My parents called and said they haven’t seen snow this deep since the ‘70s ... or November.

Serious question about your posts: Are they what you think is going to happen or are they the ways to potentially getting what you want — the coldest and snowiest outcome possible? It’s fine if it’s the second option but I disagree in your presentation as an objective view of what’s to come. Not everyone comes here for the same reasons.

I know I found this forum looking for something deeper than the nightly local news. Thought it was a place where those who knew weather talked about the weather (at least that’s how the forum is presented). It didn’t take long for me to see through the lingo and cherry-picked maps to see post after post on ways to get Snowmageddon in one’s backyard.

Then why are you still here? Nobody’s forcing you to read these forums anymore.

• Like 1

This winter season continues to be warmer than average with the mean temperature at Grand Rapids for December being 33.2° (+4.0) and January’s mean is now at 31.9° (+7.4) with the rest of the month looking warmer than average. On the snow fall side January is now at 11.3″ and that is still below average for this date. Since December 1st GR snow fall is now at 25.6″ and for the season it is at 32.4″ all below where GR is on average thru this date. BTW it looks like the official low at GRR was 11 here at my house it got down to +7 last night before the clouds moved in. At this time it is 24 here with some light snow falling.

Light snow falling and cold 12 degrees.

Awesome amigo. Is the ground white? :D

• Like 1

Attm, its 16F under deep blue skies, along w a deep snowcover. Now, this is how January should be! :D

• Like 1

We have some light, fluffy accumulation this morning.  I was not expecting anything.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

Winds created some serious drifts and whiteouts on Saturday. Central Wisconsin snowmobile trails are starting to shape up nicely. As always hoping for a little more snow and cold.

Here's a pic of my son stuck in a drift. Had to snap a photo and laugh before helping him out.

83400858_10220354675233090_6647213385282

• Like 7