Part II- January 2020 Obs and Discussion

snow_wizard

It's hard to beat an overrunning event in PDX when the gorge is cold and a low tracks to our south. High potential stuff. PDX is fairly useless at anything else though. Cold onshore flow almost never works great, a bit too warm and the coast range murders everything like it is right now.

I think the last three winters have really demonstrated the potential of Seattle and Eugene well-- not so much PDX. I feel like everything that could go wrong for this location has somehow gone wrong within that timeframe.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I think the last three winters have really demonstrated the potential of Seattle and Eugene well-- not so much PDX. I feel like everything that could go wrong for this location has somehow gone wrong within that timeframe.

That may be so, yet PDX gets those crazy ICE storms that no other municipality this side of the Rockies can seem to muster/

• Like 3

That may be so, yet PDX gets those crazy ICE storms that no other municipality this side of the Rockies can seem to muster/

For sure. I'd pay to see one-- before 2008 it seemed like PDX would get a pretty major one every few years (2004, 2008, 1996, 1998, 1980, 1979, etc.). Hasn't been a good one in a while.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah it’s gonna be a nowcast situation . I feel the RGEM/HRDPS have performed among the best yesterday/today so I’m hoping they’re good with tomorrow’s situation

It's certainly nice seeing hints of it in a few different models, it would be right up there with our major historic snowfalls.

• Like 1

It's hard to beat an overrunning event in PDX when the gorge is cold and a low tracks to our south. High potential stuff. PDX is fairly useless at anything else though. Cold onshore flow almost never works great, a bit too warm and the coast range murders everything like it is right now.

Agree, it does need to be active and lately is just hasn’t performed the way it used too :(

• Like 1

tbh being on here is making me just a tad bit salty after last year, so good night, hope everyone that missed out last night gets their due tonight.

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

It's getting real out there.  About an inch of fresh snow tonight and coming down pretty good.  Temp below freezing and everything is freezing up.  This event has at least delivered something truly enjoyable.

• Like 9

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The Tim thing is getting really stupid. I support the decision Fred made, and whatever timeline he sees fit to decide to let him back on. The more time he's away the more he will perhaps take some of the complaints leveled against him seriously (which he should), and thus the longer the honeymoon period we will see in which he is somewhat tolerable after returning.

Why don't we just focus on the event at hand enjoy the fact that we have a couple precious days here where someone can post a cold or snowy map without an immediate retort at every turn. I have been enjoying it.

• Like 5

There is a blizzard happening in Klamath Falls, though the snowfall rates do not appear to be heavy. Flakes are very small. About 2-3" new snow outside. I will measure later.

• Like 2

Ashland, KY Weather

'23-'24 Winter

Snowfall - 5.50"
First freeze: 11/1 (32)
Minimum: 2 on 1/17

Measurable snows: 4
Max 1 day snow: 3" (1/19)

Thunders: 16
1/27, 1/28, 2/10, 2/22, 2/27, 2/28, 3/5, 3/6, 3/14, 3/15
3/26, 3/30, 3/31, 4/2, 4/3, 4/8, 

Severe storms: 2

-------------------------------------------------------
[Klamath Falls, OR 2010 to 2021]
https://imgur.com/SuGTijl

Check out some of the temperatures up this way and in the Fraser Valley, this is a top tier cold airmass (at least relative to the last couple decades).

Yup.  This is a classic old school type setup.  Nice to see it in January.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The Tim thing is getting really stupid. I support the decision Fred made, and whatever timeline he sees fit to decide to let him back on. The more time he's away the more he will take some of the complaints leveled against him seriously (which he should), and thus the longer the honeymoon period we will see in which he is somewhat tolerable after returning.

Why don't we just focus on the event at hand enjoy the fact that we have a couple precious days here where someone can post a cold or snowy map without an immediate retort at every turn. I have been enjoying it.

Had a feeling the "release the Tim" posts were gonna irk you.

Feeling confirmed!

A forum for the end of the world.

Two winters. We outperformed the Sounders pretty handily prior to that for quite a stretch. Things have a way of evening out.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

My posts on the subject were more tongue-in-cheek. I agree with some of this. He had it coming and it's nice to not have his usual pre-event/during-event "It's going to warmup in the LR" posts.

At the same time, this weird purgatory he is in kind of feels like we just put a grown *ss man in timeout. Did he deserve it? Yeah. Does it make it any less weird? Not really.

It's all definitely pretty weird. Have to remember we are dealing with a 50 year old here.

Pretty close. This event might end up quite similar to that one in many ways. Can't really think of a closer comp, at least in the past few decades.

Of course, we don't know exactly how January 2020 will turn out...

Definitely feels like 2012 down here. Pretty underwhelming with a brief transition event to close it out.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Do you actually disagree with anything I said, or are you just phishing for a reaction? :lol:

I don't mind him gone for a bit. Change of pace, if nothing else. You're right in that it at least temporarily gets his attention and will temporarily get him to tone down the trolling a tad.

But I don't feel strongly either way. He's a fixture on the forum, so I get why people are already getting Timstalgia ;)

A forum for the end of the world.