January 2024 Weather in the PNW (Part I)

3 minutes ago, iFred said:

We lost the GFS, Euro, and either the UK or GEM for about two days with about a week to go for February 2019.

Yup, everything can be given back as quickly as it was taken away especially this far out. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

It usually scores 2nd right behind the EURO. GEM is 3rd and the GooFuS is 4th.

IMG_2477.thumb.png.8f3728ed47973696f27ead34370f9ed3.png

That is for only one month, October to November 2022.  All the other models probably had Covid and didn't perform up to standards.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • scream 1

Alright, everyone grab a beer, smoke a bowl or do whatever you would normally do on a 60 degree evening in September to relax.  Then come back for the Euro, no need to lament over the GFS, it's in the past for now.  I have to go to bed unfortunately, but might refresh a couple times during the Euro just cuz..... weiners unite!!

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, GHweatherChris said:

Alright, everyone grab a beer, smoke a bowl or do whatever you would normally do on a 60 degree evening in September to relax.  Then come back for the Euro, no need to lament over the GFS, it's in the past for now.  I have to go to bed unfortunately, but might refresh a couple times during the Euro just cuz..... weiners unite!!

A good ECMWF run makes all of this discussion completely irrelevant.  

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

14 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Now I'm curious what's the back story behind dabears

One of a couple of The Weather Forums' own specialty trademark socks. The other one also made an appearance earlier this evening.

Feels like old times....

• Like 1
  • Excited 2

Down to 27.4, more than cold enough for the snow on its way! Can't wait to wake up to atleast a few inches tommorow!

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

4 minutes ago, Christensen87 said:

CFS is still a disaster. I just can’t get fully onboard yet. 

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

Apparently the CFS (China Forecasting System) is looking MUCH IMPROVED.

😭

• lol 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

12 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

January 2011 busted within 48 hours, didn’t it? Now that was a bust!

It’s not even 120 hours out yet. We just don’t get the sort of great January busts they had in the good old days.

January sucks these days.

I remember watching that unfold.  We were driving from PDX to Whistler on the front end of that "event".  Went from, "omg this is going to be the absolute best/worst drive ever!", to all rain. The entire trip and even the lower part of Whistler itself was F-in rain.  Boo. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Now I'm curious what's the back story behind dabears

He was some kid who was a regular on here like 15+ years ago and eventually got banned, partially for being a legitimate a**, and partially because he just had a sense of humor that was well intentioned but conveyed very poorly over text and got misinterpreted. He mainly just attacked Phil though, which is probably why he frequently accuses people of being dabears, lol. After he got banned, he pretty much just lurked at times and maybe had a brief account or two since then, but never really came back to any significant degree. Every now and then though some random person that isn't dabears will get incorrectly accused of being him.

A couple times there's been some complete psychopaths that were falsely attributed to dabears, so this forum has built up kind of a wacky cartoon villain image of him based on their mistaken belief that some of the more extreme lunatics that have made the rounds through here were the same guy. Their writing style has always been completely different, but usually any time some unknown user is perceived as being rude on here, there's an assumption that it's another of dabears' accounts. Great lore, really. The Ghost of Dabears has always been my favorite campfire story.

• Like 7
  • Popcorn 2

3 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Wow, UKMET is actually near the top. Could you post the link for this chart?

I think it largely gets ignored because it doesn't have as many pretty maps on most sites, and it doesn't go out as far.

• Like 4

A forum for the end of the world.

GEM ensemble is better than the GEFS now.   And does not agree with its operational run.  I think the GEM solution with that huge low backing up and then parking itself north of the border seems pretty unlikely.   Its just a strange evolution.  

cmc-ensemble-all-avg-namer-t850_anom_stream-5060800.png

• Like 6

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The fact the GFS was SOOOO bad, showing features that were never hinted or suggested previously, makes it easier to ignore.

Then again, outliers can turn into the first run of a major change.

GFS will need an entire day or two to see if a fly got in the ointment or if the model is surprisingly prophetic. 

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

Still plenty of really cold members on the ensemble.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

...showing features that were never hinted or suggested previously...

Ridge depletion has been the trend all day

• Like 1

01/11/24 CZ: 400' in south Lynnwood

16 minutes ago, RentonHill said:

Seems like GFS/GEFS is showing what the EPS had been showing a few days ago and has slowly trended away from. Maybe the GEFS really is just that far behind

Quite possibly given how good this mornings eps was. It actually trended better. So many cold members

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

The fact the GFS was SOOOO bad, showing features that were never hinted or suggested previously, makes it easier to ignore.

Then again, outliers can turn into the first run of a major change.

GFS will need an entire day or two to see if a fly got in the ointment or if the model is surprisingly prophetic. 

Indeed.  Reminds me of how the GEM came out of left field last night.  This pattern has a lot of moving parts and one little mistake early can spiral out of control.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9