1 minute ago, Doinko said:

I definitely think here in PDX we could see a decent event. Even if it's just a little bit of snow the strong Gorge winds would be exciting

Yessir

• Like 1

Weather! Atmospheric conditions

3 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

I lived in Bellingham for several decades.  And we did often get skunked in that situation.  But Bellingham at least had that magical White Christmas a couple of years ago.  Wish I could have experienced that when I lived there.

Bellingham did. Up here in Sumas the wind was raging. I have no idea how much precipitation actually fell out of the sky because all of it got blown half a county away. As different as Bellingham's winter weather can be compared to the rest of the state, the weather in north county is equally different than Bellingham. Often, if it's snowing there, it's windy and dry here; and if it's snowing here, it's raining there.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

New 7 day from Mark. Good forecast for now. Late Friday to Saturday looks like the timeframe for something to happen.

IMG_2624.jpeg.fb3cc4b68e588e93326fa03c4fd5c6ba.jpeg

He seems pretty confident we see some sort of winter storm

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

It feels so especially cruel. January 2020 actually had a weaker airmass; this current one is one of the stronger ones of this century.

Time is running out on seeing single digits again in my lifetime. I already feel sad enough that I've thus far missed out on that, but think about all the poor kids with no memories of the deepish cold in Dec 2008 and Nov 2010 like I do, who only have the warm-coded snow events of the last decade.

At least I might be able to knock off that 'foot in one storm' item from my bucket list this weekend, if all goes right.

I think us younger folks have a good chance at seeing single digits some time 

14 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

It feels so especially cruel. January 2020 actually had a weaker airmass; this current one is one of the stronger ones of this century.

Time is running out on seeing single digits again in my lifetime. I already feel sad enough that I've thus far missed out on that, but think about all the poor kids with no memories of the deepish cold in Dec 2008 and Nov 2010 like I do, who only have the warm-coded snow events of the last decade.

At least I might be able to knock off that 'foot in one storm' item from my bucket list this weekend, if all goes right.

SEA saw a 27/17 in Dec 2021, which is only slightly warmer than the coldest days of those events. OLM saw a low of 7, which equaled what they saw in Dec 2008 and was slightly colder than Nov 2010.

A forum for the end of the world.

4 minutes ago, North_County said:

Bellingham did. Up here in Sumas the wind was raging. I have no idea how much precipitation actually fell out of the sky because all of it got blown half a county away. As different as Bellingham's winter weather can be compared to the rest of the state, the weather in north county is equally different than Bellingham. Often, if it's snowing there, it's windy and dry here; and if it's snowing here, it's raining there.

You have been skunked a lot in recent winters. I have recorded three 10+" snowfalls in the past two years IMBY.

It's called clown range for a reason.

10 minutes ago, Olive1010 said:

Yeah, sounds good, I just found a Meteogram generator site

Here you go...

gfs-deterministic-KPDX-daily_tmin_tmax-4736800.png

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, North_County said:

Yeah, that was why I never had any interest in living north of Smith Road when I had the chance. The wind up there was just too much outside of the rare bleed-in events like late February 2014. The blowing/stinging snow is fun for about 20 seconds before it loses its appeal, and the lack of settling from the snow really takes away a lot of the aesthetic appeal IMO.

Someplace like Sudden Valley or perhaps out towards Deming/Maple Falls would have been a nice balance compared to Lynden/Sumas. Still are able to benefit from the outflow a little more and shielded a bit from the instant death by downsloping that plagues Bellingham. But not nearly as perpetually windy as the flatlands.

• Like 2

18z GEFS got quite a bit snowier for the Seattle area. A little less for Portland.

IMG_6425.png

• Like 4
  • scream 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Over the next few sets of runs if this thing keeps tracking north then this place will be progressively getting further into meltdown mode.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

3 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Could you post the 12z Euro/GEM as well? Thanks!

ecmwf-deterministic-KPDX-daily_tmin_tmax-4715200.png

gem-all-KPDX-daily_tmin_tmax-4715200.png

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Over the next few sets of runs if this thing keeps tracking north then this place will be progressively getting further into meltdown mode.

Is the weather station still working?

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

Just 37 for a high today so far. Actually managed to squeak in a sub-40 high yesterday.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

5 minutes ago, Cold Snap said:

18z GEFS got quite a bit snowier for the Seattle area. A little less for Portland.

IMG_6425.png

About the same but I'm surprised it's a bit less considering it was a fair bit colder (particularly w the low level stuff from the basin)

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, Norwood said:

Holy . My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results today. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the ******* **** is this cold going to the east? This can't be happening. I'm having a ******* breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so warm. I want a future to believe in. I want the old runs to be valid and fix this nightmare. I cannot ******* deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I was supposed to be frolicking in snow!???? This is so 33.

7/10 pasta

• lol 3

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

ecmwf-deterministic-KPDX-daily_tmin_tmax-4715200.png

gem-all-KPDX-daily_tmin_tmax-4715200.png

That just doesn't seem reasonable to me for PDX.  I sure would love that but man, it looks to me that cold air starts sliding east pretty fast and 850's start warming.  This would tell me things aren't going to be as progressive as it looked earlier. That means the east winds are still howling next week.  Does the 12z/Gem even seem reasonable?

1 minute ago, Norwood said:

Holy . My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results today. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the ******* **** is this cold going to the east? This can't be happening. I'm having a ******* breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so warm. I want a future to believe in. I want the old runs to be valid and fix this nightmare. I cannot ******* deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I was supposed to be frolicking in snow!???? This is so 33.

You should speak to Ferris Bueller.

2 minutes ago, Norwood said:

Is this the weather version of “I just smashed the tv in front of 30 guests because of the game”?

• Excited 1
  • lol 2

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

3 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

It's an old pasta, but it checks out. IIRC it was originally about the 2016 election. A classic goof and a gaffe.

Here's the OG:

Holy s***. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the results tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the ******* **** is he losing? This can't be happening. I'm having a ******* breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Bernie to be president and fix this broken country. I cannot ******* deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought he was polling well in New York???? This is so f**ked.

• Like 1

18Z GFS keeps the cold hanging on in Seattle for a long time as well.

gfs-deterministic-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-4736800.png

• Like 5
  • scream 1

4 hours ago, Blizzard777 said:

I got to enjoy living there 5 years at the mouth of the gully!  Fantastic weather extremes ! Glad I experienced it 

lol, found out it was useless to plant trees 

2 hours ago, Blizzard777 said:

It truly is a cool place to live and experience.  But I had my fill of 24/7 30 mph sustained winds with gust up to 70! The house groaning and creeking like and old schooner in rough seas none stop . 

I love that area. Especially near the Sandy River. You ever experience blizzard conditions?

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

18Z GFS keeps the cold hanging on in Seattle for a long time as well.

gfs-deterministic-KSEA-daily_tmin_tmax-4736800.png

Before an absolute torch for nearly a week!

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

46 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

Nice. This looks like a very reasonable forecast.

35 minutes ago, Doinko said:

He seems pretty confident we see some sort of winter storm

He must be leaning heavily towards what the EURO is showing since it has 24/19 on Saturday with snow/ice. It’s a smart move unless it shows otherwise.

Moisture is not going to be an issue this time around. So confident is high there. He thinks this could also be a big event. I’d take any of the events he mentioned. From his blog post:

“Cold arctic air arrives late Friday out of the Gorge and clashes with a lot of milder Pacific precipitation for an ice and/or snow storm in metro area and Gorge late Friday through Saturday. This MAY be a big event like February 2023, Christmas Eve 2022, February 2021, January 2017, January 2004...etc... It’s too early to know if cold air makes it all the way to Salem/Eugene.”

• Like 2