January Weather In The PNW 2024 (Part III) - The Warming Shot

iFred

We’re hovering around 24/25 degrees with a solid .3” of ice. Given temp is well behind models, looks like a mess of a morning at least. South winds just never really materialized - winds continue out of the east predominantly. No AFD yet, so looks like PQR are scratching their heads about what to do. 

• Like 2

Location 850’ NW Hills in Portland

Just now, ajreich said:

We’re hovering around 24/25 degrees with a solid .3” of ice. Given temp is well behind models, looks like a mess of a morning at least. South winds just never really materialized - winds continue out of the east predominantly. No AFD yet, so looks like PQR are scratching their heads about what to do. 

BTW it’s now 5+ days with highs below freezing. I can’t recall that happening ever, but I’m sure someone here knows better than me 😊

• Excited 1
  • Shivering 1

17 minutes ago, Dave said:

Up to 33 degrees. Somehow I managed to not lose power yet, but I'm definitely not out of the woods. Branches are breaking continuously around the neighborhood. I mean nonstop. Very eerie. 

It’s like nothing I could’ve imagined. Scary shitt.

My wife and I cannot get any sleep. There is no power for white noise. All we have is each other with the crashing of large chunks of ice and the cracking of trees outside. This is awful.

• Sad 4

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Roads are a sheet of ice but those gusty south winds must be heating things up slowly and surely down here in Eugene

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, Requiem said:

Roads are a sheet of ice but those gusty south winds must be heating things up slowly and surely down here in Eugene

Yes and all the ice is falling off the trees and buildings at a fast rate. Most of the city doesn’t have power. Even downtown has lost power like 10 times. This one is a lengthy outage.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

10 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Yes and all the ice is falling off the trees and buildings at a fast rate. Most of the city doesn’t have power. Even downtown has lost power like 10 times. This one is a lengthy outage.

Ugh so sorry for what you’ve been through - sounds like a nightmare

24 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I hate to post this, but you are probably already aware of the situation. There are too many pages to scroll through.

sub.webp

• Sad 6
  • scream 4

37 minutes ago, Dave said:

I hate to post this, but you are probably already aware of the situation. There are too many pages to scroll through.

sub.webp

Just unbelievable.   Scary situation for elderly people or those living alone.   I am hoping for an extended warm up down there to help with recovery and it looks like it should stay above freezing now in southern WV.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Currently 31.3* in Yelm, after a low of 30.0* over night. It rained lightly for most of the night, but it seems to have just iced up on what's left of the snow. School is on a 2 hour delay though cause side roads out here are still garbage. Crossin my fingers we get that region wide epic snow event before winter is over! :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just unbelievable.   Scary situation for elderly people or those living alone.   I am hoping for an extended warm up down there to help with recovery and it looks like it should stay above freezing now in southern WV.

Yep. We are done with the freezing temps for the foreseeable future. That will make it at least a bit more tolerable for those without power. Looking forward to some fifty burgers. This mess will take forever to cleanup.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

Currently 31.3* in Yelm, after a low of 30.0* over night. It rained lightly for most of the night, but it seems to have just iced up on what's left of the snow. School is on a 2 hour delay though cause side roads out here are still garbage. Crossin my fingers we get that region wide epic snow event before winter is over! :)

Same here... everything is coated with ice and schools are delayed 2 hours but there is no chance they are opening today.    Currently 28 degrees with nothing falling right now.   ECMWF still shows a brief warm up today into the low 40s from Seattle south and eastward.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

All of the local news stations are offline. Not even active on twitter. 3 of the broadcast towers are offline. I'm guessing travel is next to impossible for many.

36 degrees with a heavy tree branch shower.

• Like 3

Is it even going to warm up today in Portland? Seems like nothings going to stop them from getting the gorge outflow. 

• Like 1

Coldest temp this winter: -7 Jan 13th

Snow depth at Mount Bachelor (last updated March 27th) 107"

Snow depth at my home (updated March 27th): none

23-24 seasonal snowfall at home (updated March 27th): 84"

27 minutes ago, AuburnTexan said:

Hovering at 32/33 this morning. Nice little glaze of ice everywhere. I’ve got a nice sloped driveway on a hill. Had to slide to get into my car. Think I’ll stay home today lol

Cliff Mass says to stop trusting your own lying eyes.

• lol 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

33 minutes ago, Dave said:

Yep. We are done with the freezing temps for the foreseeable future. That will make it at least a bit more tolerable for those without power. Looking forward to some fifty burgers. This mess will take forever to cleanup.

It’s amazing how utility crews can restore a grid once the weather cooperates. Hopefully it won’t take a week. All the best to those in Willamete. 

18 minutes ago, Sunriver Snow Zone said:

Is it even going to warm up today in Portland? Seems like nothings going to stop them from getting the gorge outflow. 

Temps are moderating slowly. We really need to make a dent in the cold today or that Thursday offshore surge could be problematic. I’m guessing that will be a Gorge event but it could be close. 

10 hours ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Just want to say this place is a blast! Tracking these events is so much more fun when it’s with other enthusiasts. Wish we had more opportunities to get excited but that’s also what makes each one special. 

On the flip side of that, have you been around on this forum to see what happens during a non eventful winter?

21 minutes ago, Ken in Wood Village said:

It's a sheet of ice in my area. I went outside and almost fell on my butt 😳 temperatures are really cold 🥶

Screenshot_20240117_061953_Tempest.jpg

Wow! I definitely don’t think the NE side of town thaws out all the way today. That is much colder than expected. Should be ok over here in Tigard. 

• Like 1

I have a wet deck it appears. Lameo!! I’m shocked that Stanwood is closed and others in the area are 2hrs late. I haven’t been outside to see how icy it actually is. 32.5 degrees. 

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 2
  • Rain 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I know this is a washington-heavy forum but does anyone have thoughts on situation in Portland and the return of offshore Thursday. Most forecasts are calling for a cold rain with temps in the mid to high 30s. GFS continues to show temps below freezing and more ice accumulation thursday afternoon/night. It looks reasonably borderline. Temps have been slower to warm this morning. my concern is that if we only make it to the mid 30s today, it’s not going to take very much additional cold air to create problems. But forecasters still seem confident portland makes it into 40s today. Would love any input. Sitting at 28 right now. 

• Like 4

Sitting at 30 degrees and about 2" of frozen precip.  After the snow I reported last night, it switched to freezing rain, so we have a nice base of ice under all of this.  It is currently some sort of snow/sleet mix that we are getting, probably 70% snow, 30% sleet.

• Like 3