New Year's Day Storm

bud2380

3 minutes ago, bud2380 said:

3k NAM would be great by me.

Been some time since Omaha had a model run to swoon over!

Given recent trends, 3-4" (isolated 5") seems pretty fair in the city. Gradient is sharp enough that a minor northward shift could bring about several more inches, but that will be a nowcast-type item to examine. Cheers to the folks looking at double digits out of this thing, finally feeling like winter!

• Like 1

NWS Topeka has broken the WSW into two groups. Group one 4-8". Group two along and southeast of the Kansas Turnpike 2-5" with more sleet. I'm sure group one will be put in a warning and group two an advisory. Naturally, I'm in group two. 🥴  

• Like 3

23-24 seasonal snow total: 17.8" (as of 3/9/24)

LOT has issued watches for Chicago & other N IL counties.

Event: Winter Storm Watch
Alert:
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY MORNING THROUGH 
LATE SATURDAY NIGHT... 

* WHAT...Steady, blowing snow and dangerous travel possible. 
Total snow accumulations greater than 6 inches and northeasterly 
wind gusts in excess of 40 mph are possible. 

* WHERE...Lake IL, DuPage, Northern Cook, Central Cook and 
Southern Cook Counties. 

* WHEN...From Saturday morning through late Saturday night. 

* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. Widespread blowing 
snow could significantly reduce visibility, especially along the 
Lake Michigan shoreline. 

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The steadiest snow rates appear most likely 
between noon Saturday and midnight Sunday.
  • Like 1
  • Snow 3

...The Artist Formerly Known as RJSnowLover...

1 hour ago, The Snowman said:

NWS Omaha extends the Winter Storm Watch to cover Douglas & Sarpy counties; watch text indicates 2-5" so probably an impact-based watch instead of an amounts-based watch.

NWS in Des Moines also expanded watch north and west by one county each. Upped the text to include 8 inch amounts. Definitely coordinated between the offices

Just doing some comparisons between operational runs of the nam, gfs, and euro. 

Speed: Gfs is the slowest, followed by the nam, then the euro. 

850 Temps: Comparing each of the three, gfs is by far the coldest, with the euro in the middle, followed by the very warm nam.

QPF: Nam is by far the wettest, followed by the gfs, and the euro. 

Talk about tough forecast. 

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.06.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.06.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.06.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.11.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.11.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.11.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.13.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.13.35 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 3.13.47 PM.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

They all suck donkey balls.  Everyone on this forum has had a model give them a ton of snow only to have it go poof hours before it's supposed to start.  And everyone has been told by a model that the snow will miss them 24 hours out, only to get the snow.  The 2018 Thanksgiving weekend blizzard was supposed to hit Des Moines up til about 24 hours before it hit KC instead.  We can trash any given model, but the fact is that none of them is reliable under the classic definition of "reliable."    

At this point any of the solutions are still viable, and they differ enough to make a significant impact, or nothing. Might be one of those we don't know what's happening until it starts snowing. 

• Like 1

Euro has a tight gradient right through Lancaster county. Could be a situation where the airport (NW) gets 3" and SE Lincoln gets 6". My grids have 3-7" while WSW wording is 4-8". 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

For my fellow Nebraskans - 18z GFS total precipitation (left) alongside 12z GFS shows the scale of improvement for the Omaha area, snow-wise. Comparing with implied snow-ratio charts on Pivotal Weather, it looks as though this snow would be falling in 19:1 - 21:1 ratio territory (NWS Omaha notes 16:1 - 18:1 ratios in their latest AFD hot off the presses, however).

Assuming a 17:1 ratio and GFS verifying verbatim, this spells a 7" snowfall for Omaha; assuming a 20:1 ratio, it gives Omaha just over 8".

Still have quite a bit of ground to make up from recent southward model trends, but this is as good a sign as we can get here in the 18z runs. Baby steps.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 4.00.56 PM.png

• Like 2

DVN got much more robust with snow totals in their AFD.  My point forecast went from 3-5" to 4-8" with another 1-2" Saturday night.

At this time, the highest 
potential for these impressive snowfall rates looks to be south of I-
80. Snow ratios will obviously be increasing through the event as 
colder air infiltrates, possibly getting close to 20:1 in the heart 
of the heaviest snow. Went with WPC snow ratios, which generally 
range from 12 to 16:1 through the event. Latest snowfall amounts 
look to range from 8 to 10+ inches within the heaviest band, which 
currently looks to lie roughly along the US 34 corridor. Broader 
area surrounding that heavy band will see potential for 6 to 8" with 
the lowest amounts of 3 to 6" along the US 20 corridor.
  • Like 1

1. I like that DMX stated they will reduce the normal 6" in 12 hour criteria to 4" in 12 hours due to the strong winds, blowing and drifting snow and the first snowstorm of the season.  So expect winter storm warnings to run a county or two further north than normal.  They usually seem to issue warnings earlier than normal now, so I'm expecting them to be hoisted tomorrow morning, but I think it would be more prudent to wait until tomorrow afternoon since the snow won't start for most areas until Saturday AM or very late Friday night. 

Still expect 6+ inches of snow for a
large portion of southern Iowa and possibly central Iowa. This snow
will be fluffy and easy to blow around. Expect increasing wind of 15
to 25 mph with gusts over 35 mph at times will create significant
blowing and drifting of snow. Not blizzard criteria but still bad
given the first winter storm. Will default from typical 6" in 12 hr
criteria to 4" in 12hr along with sustained 25 mph wind and blowing
snow for warning upgrade decisions. Will have a partner webinar on
Friday at 11 am.
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, someweatherdude said:

They all suck donkey balls.  Everyone on this forum has had a model give them a ton of snow only to have it go poof hours before it's supposed to start.  And everyone has been told by a model that the snow will miss them 24 hours out, only to get the snow.  The 2018 Thanksgiving weekend blizzard was supposed to hit Des Moines up til about 24 hours before it hit KC instead.  We can trash any given model, but the fact is that none of them is reliable under the classic definition of "reliable."    

I was just more making a joke. I barely look into the ICON. 

I'll likely guess the low end of the model snow range because my ratio always sucks when there is blowing and drifting.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

21 minutes ago, snowstorm83 said:

There was bump north on the northern edge for Nebraska/Iowa, prob what he meant. 

Yes there was; or at least it came in more juicy to the north affecting my area. I'm riding the fine line; northern part of the county looking at 1-2" while southern part of the county looking at 3 maybe 5". 

• Like 1

Another model cycle, another comparison. 15z SREF vs. 09z SREF, QPF totals. Not totally sure what this precipitation orientation is, as the latest cycle gets rid of that heavier precip closer to Kansas City and instead spreads it seemingly all around. Fascinating to watch all of this guidance meander around as we move closer to the event.

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 6.23.25 PM.png

• Like 2

After the slowest start to winter Ive ever experienced in the midwest,  run after run, model after model for several days consistently  has my part of se Iowa  in the sweet spot. I must admit being in the snow business  and a weather enthusiast it will be a unprecedented  letdown if this storm bust!

sc_851132026029170.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jcwxguy said:

snku_acc.us_mw.png

We can probably cut 30% off the HRRR totals.  I'd certainly still take that.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

We’re preparing for our New Year’s storm come Saturday night. A low of 23* expected and a High Sunday of 43*. Low again of 26*.  
Starting the year off right!!  

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*