May Winter Continue 2022 PNW

The Blob

43 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Basically everyone in NW OR and SW WA. It was more of an East Coast style blizzard in how widespread the mega amounts were. I don't think anyone had less than 17-18".

Lake Oswego only had a little over an inch.

• Sad 1
  • Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

BOING

400678BF-25DB-46BE-984D-B4E1A53F6F6E.jpeg

What does this mean? In terms of tangible weather?

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

What does this mean? In terms of tangible weather?

Looks like AAM will fall for the next few weeks. Going to be a stuck/messy pattern over the CONUS w/ a phase 8/1 MJO transit during that timeframe.

And sets the stage for the next IO/E-Hem MJO wave deeper into June. Which is when the next substantial -PNA would be favored to arise.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Looks like AAM will fall for the next few weeks. Going to be a stuck/messy pattern over the CONUS w/ a phase 8/1 MJO transit during that timeframe.

And sets the stage for the next IO/E-Hem MJO wave deeper into June. Which is when the next substantial -PNA would be favored to arise.

Messy pattern means more reasonable summer-like days... like today.   Not just endless cold troughing.   Goal is 10 dry days in June.   Can we make it happen Phil?  😀

• Rain 1
  • Weenie 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

72 in North Bend. Just a few scattered clouds and no wind here.  Perfection.  

Of course technically it's dumping rain and dark and 48 degrees at my house.   But just 1.8 miles away it's summer!    

• Weenie 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Messy pattern means more reasonable summer-like days... like today.   Not just endless cold troughing.   Goal is 10 dry days in June.   Can we make it happen Phil?  😀

Haha, I think it’s doable. First half of the month would be the time to pull it off.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

It was. There was a major snowstorm from Everett to Vancouver, BC on 11/26/2006. Then a decent event further south the next day with the arctic front that dropped a couple inches on the Seahawks game during MNF.

January 2007 was more of a regional event and there was widespread snow in WA/OR on the 10th with a rather weak arctic front and then an overrunning clipper on the 16th that overachieved for the Portland metro.

The 11/26/06 was absolutely epic! Nothing had quite rivaled it in my area in the 45yrs I have been alive. I know I have told this story many times and all of the long timers are probably sick of it but for the newer members…That event was epic up here!! And it was basically not predicted. I was in Olympia that weekend at a dog competition, on Saturday the prediction was up to an inch of slop. Well Sunday as I was packing up to head north my dad called me saying it was snowing hard and the power was out, that was a shock! (No smart phone then so internet access that weekend) When I left Olympia it was about 50 degrees and windy. As I drove north the temp steadily dropped and by the time I got to Northgate slop was hitting the windshield. When I got to Everett there was snow on the trees but nothing on the roads. Marysville featured slush on the roads. Smokey Point exit my Tahoe was nearly bottoming out in the snow with heavy snow falling and 32 degrees. I try to get home (living at Lake Goodwin at the time) and the main route is blocked by downed trees so I take an alternate route, that is also blocked by trees, so I take a 3rd option and get through but I’m driving under trees being held up by power lines and have just enough clearance. Get home and there is a foot of the heaviest snow ever and still snowing. The next morning I drive into work which was a large senior community about 5 miles away. I was driving over small downed alders all the way in, the Tahoe was a beast and made it though I had to pull branches out from the undercarriage when I got to work. We get busy on the snow removal and it quickly got dangerous with heavy snow falling again and the constant sound of breaking branches and falling trees became insane. We worked non stop until about 7pm and by that time the arctic front had finally passed by with the snow turning into powder and the temp free falling into the low 20’s. All of that heavy wet snow froze into a block. I get home (lake house) and knew I couldn’t stay there with no form of heat since the family decided to pull out the wood burning insert for a gas insert but we had not gotten the propane hooked up yet so I went to my dads down the road with a wood burning stove. House was toasty! Day 3 featured people mostly traveling via snowmobiles, that was an interesting sight! Diesel was running low in the massive generator at work that ran assisted living and nursing, diesel trucks could not make it to fill the tank so I had to take the work tractor and drive it to the fire station down the road where they loaded a large barrel of diesel they had into the tractor bucket and I drove it back to work. That bought us enough time and we’re able to keep the lights and heat on. It took a week to get power back to the area. The tree damage was unbelievable. Definitely a time I will never forget! 

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Topped out at 77F so far. Should hopefully keep it under 80F and the streak in tact.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

13 minutes ago, MossMan said:

The 11/26/06 was absolutely epic! Nothing had quite rivaled it in my area in the 45yrs I have been alive. I know I have told this story many times and all of the long timers are probably sick of it but for the newer members…That event was epic up here!! And it was basically not predicted. I was in Olympia that weekend at a dog competition, on Saturday the prediction was up to an inch of slop. Well Sunday as I was packing up to head north my dad called me saying it was snowing hard and the power was out, that was a shock! (No smart phone then so internet access that weekend) When I left Olympia it was about 50 degrees and windy. As I drove north the temp steadily dropped and by the time I got to Northgate slop was hitting the windshield. When I got to Everett there was snow on the trees but nothing on the roads. Marysville featured slush on the roads. Smokey Point exit my Tahoe was nearly bottoming out in the snow with heavy snow falling and 32 degrees. I try to get home (living at Lake Goodwin at the time) and the main route is blocked by downed trees so I take an alternate route, that is also blocked by trees, so I take a 3rd option and get through but I’m driving under trees being held up by power lines and have just enough clearance. Get home and there is a foot of the heaviest snow ever and still snowing. The next morning I drive into work which was a large senior community about 5 miles away. I was driving over small downed alders all the way in, the Tahoe was a beast and made it though I had to pull branches out from the undercarriage when I got to work. We get busy on the snow removal and it quickly got dangerous with heavy snow falling again and the constant sound of breaking branches and falling trees became insane. We worked non stop until about 7pm and by that time the arctic front had finally passed by with the snow turning into powder and the temp free falling into the low 20’s. All of that heavy wet snow froze into a block. I get home (lake house) and knew I couldn’t stay there with no form of heat since the family decided to pull out the wood burning insert for a gas insert but we had not gotten the propane hooked up yet so I went to my dads down the road with a wood burning stove. House was toasty! Day 3 featured people mostly traveling via snowmobiles, that was an interesting sight! Diesel was running low in the massive generator at work that ran assisted living and nursing, diesel trucks could not make it to fill the tank so I had to take the work tractor and drive it to the fire station down the road where they loaded a large barrel of diesel they had into the tractor bucket and I drove it back to work. That bought us enough time and we’re able to keep the lights and heat on. It took a week to get power back to the area. The tree damage was unbelievable. Definitely a time I will never forget! 

Sitting on the deck in the warm sun and its hard to read this novel you wrote with the glare.   So I will get to it later.   Have to enjoy our 2 hours of summer-like weather.  👍

• Excited 1
  • Weenie 2

4 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

A 65 degree sun angle in Bozeman right now should provide way more sun energy than a 46-degree sun angle.   Even if Faribanks has longer low angle sun.    Unless it's much sunnier in Fairbanks.   Which it might be.

The bottom line is that Fairbanks sees a lot of sunshine this time of year vs Bozeman right in the heart of the wet season. As proven, the insolation difference is negligible.

And then there is this. Fairbanks does not see late May snow on the regular. Trees are very adaptable and have adapted to the climate here.

56BAE5BE-280D-4955-BED2-B68E6B022BFC.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

68/52 0.01” this morning. Very nice day. The last few days have had a couple hundredths of rainfall but have still been very beautiful. 

• Like 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

2 hours ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Makes sense, you are a bit younger than me, I think if I was younger and had less tying me to this area I would be on my way to somewhere else. 

My brother in law is down there now and my in laws will be at some point. They have a second home there right now, so that relocation will be easy.

It feels like a good time to start off something new while the kiddo is still a baby. 

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

45 minutes ago, MossMan said:

Ugh now I already miss snow. 😩

It’s gonna be a looooong fuukin summer. Yesterday might have been our last sub-70°F high until October.

• Like 2
  • Sick 1

2 hours ago, Kayla said:

The bottom line is that Fairbanks sees a lot of sunshine this time of year vs Bozeman right in the heart of the wet season. As proven, the insolation difference is negligible.

And then there is this. Fairbanks does not see late May snow on the regular. Trees are very adaptable and have adapted to the climate here.

56BAE5BE-280D-4955-BED2-B68E6B022BFC.jpeg

Good Lord... that would make me sad.   We were walking around the garden just now and everything is coming up nicely.     The last few days of warmer weather and a little rain and the mild nights has been perfect.    Could not imagine the garden being buried in snow.     Some hearty souls there.   

• Troll 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, Phishy Wx said:

I could do Flagstaff or maybe Sedona or somewhere else on the Rim.  That's about it for AZ, imo 

We actually looked at Flagstaff when we were planning our move from CA in 2017.  Also looked in Santa Fe, Denver, Reno and Bend but ultimately choose Spokane due to low costs at the time.  That's all evaporated in the last 4 years though and getting more expensive as more people move here.

If I had to do it again we probably would've moved to Santa Fe or Taos, but it's a commitment to live in Adobe all the time.

All of those places have seen insane price appreciation the past few years.

• Like 1

A forum for the end of the world.

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

Wow, that's a crazy story! How much snow did you eventually end up with? 

6 hours ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

The high-elevation parts of the Southwest are definitely the nicest ones in my book. Still sunnier than I prefer (and due to the combination of low latitude and high elevation, the sun is VERY strong; I once got a bad sunburn inside of 10 minutes in June at 7,000 feet elevation in NM.

Yeah, a lot of people don't appreciate how much more UV rays penetrate at higher altitude. One of my least favorite parts of living at high elevation.

A forum for the end of the world.

1 hour ago, Doiinko said:

Wow, that's a crazy story! How much snow did you eventually end up with? 

About 17” ! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

2 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Good Lord... that is so sad.   We were walking around the garden just now and everything is coming up nicely.     The last few days of warmer weather and a little rain and the mild nights has been perfect.    Could not imagine the garden being buried in snow.     Some hearty souls there.   

Wait, is this a reaction to the Texas shooting? Wrong thread. 

• lol 1
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Wait, is this a reaction to the Texas shooting? Wrong thread. 

Poor taste dude.

Side note... I had actually edited that post before I saw this to say it would make me sad since I thought maybe Kayla enjoys it.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 2

21 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Poor taste dude.

Side note... I had actually edited that post before I saw this to say it would make me sad since I thought maybe Kayla enjoys it.

I’m honestly embracing it this year. We needed the moisture and it’s much more fun to track than the hrrr smoke model.

Already 4” of precip on the month and the models are showing another 3-5” of precip by months end. Wet season really coming through this year.

• Like 5

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

@bainbridgekid  Lake Sammamish is up to 62 degrees now.   My son was wake surfing this evening and he said he got used to it... but that is still way too cold for me.    Guessing the water temp will be in the upper 60s by the end of next week and maybe 70 by 6/10.    Next week is looking more summery.   👍

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

@bainbridgekid  Lake Sammamish is up to 62 degrees now.   My son was wake surfing this evening and he said he got used to it... but that is still way too cold for me.    Guessing the water temp will be in the upper 60s by the end of next week and maybe 70 by 6/10.    Next week is looking more summery.   👍

I bet 5 meters down it’s a whole different story though! Warm waters are shallow this time of year.

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

7 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

66 at SEA... 70 in North Bend.    

A drizzly, dark early morning has turned into a spectacular day with lots of blue sky and a few puffy clouds.

Ended up with a high of 68 here today. Felt oddly warm.   Longer range seems to be improving a bit.  Hopefully we get some nice warm weather in June 

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

2 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

I bet 5 meters down it’s a whole different story though! Warm waters are shallow this time of year.

What have you done. Now you’ll have to debate tim on lake water temperature depth anomalies. 

• Excited 2
  • lol 2
  • scream 1

Tacoma WA elevation 300’

Monthly rainfall-3.56”

Warm season rainfall-11.14”

Max temp-88

+80 highs-2

+85 highs-2

+90 highs-0

14 minutes ago, Meatyorologist said:

No doubt... but Lake Sammamish is one of the best lakes in WA for water activities.  Consistently warm all summer.  It's warmer than the lakes east of the Cascades and way warmer than Chelan or Couer D'Alene.  It's a deep natural lake and I am sure it's always cold farther down but that top layer is all that matters.

1 minute ago, TacomaWaWx said:

What have you done. Now you’ll have to debate tim on lake water temperature depth anomalies. 

LOL.

I am sure he is right.

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

No doubt... but Lake Sammamish is one of the best lakes in WA for water activities.    Consistently warm all summer.   It's warmer than the lakes east of the Cascades... and way warmer than Chelan or Couer D'Alene.  It's a deep natural lake... and I am sure it's always cold farther down... but that top layer is all that matters.

Spaces and dots

• lol 1

30 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

70°F water is still cold af. 😂 I don’t do cold water well, ironically.

Water temp is ~ 75°F here and I could barely tolerate it in a kayak, let alone if I were to try and swim in it.

• Popcorn 1
  • Weenie 2

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

70°F water is still cold af. 😂 I don’t do cold water well, ironically.

Water temps are in the mid-70s here and I could barely tolerate it in a kayak, let alone if I were to try and swim in it.

I think the best water temp is 76-80.  That is cool enough to be refreshing but does not feel cold on a warm sunny day.  Lake Sammamish will get into the low 80s at times during the summer which is a little too warm.  That is a good ocean temp.