5 minutes ago, Phil said:

Though if we’re being honest the CMC solution looks just as shroomed-out as the GFS.

Though at least the CMC loses it in the clown range..the GFS diverges inside 72hrs. 😂 

It's always suspect when things devolve into a blocking bonanza beyond day five. But it's fun to imagine!

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Just now, SpaceRace22 said:

The GFS is better for long range pattern changes and far inferior for anything within 7 days. I will fight that point to the death. The GEM, Spire, and probably the Euro are 100% the correct ones here. I too would bet a lot of money on this if websites like that existed, lol

On what planet? Its skill scores crater into the event horizon past D7. 

• Like 1

Just now, Deweydog said:

I think even Tiger would get a light frost if the Canadian came to fruition.

Any thoughts on the GFS and GEM?     

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Some serious bug eyes on that pattern. 🤣

1705417200-CkVxr9wPbx0.png

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

If anything even close to what the Canadian is showing ends up panning out, don't forget that the Spire had been showing -20 to -25C 850s all the way to Salem for days now. I am all in on that model if this actually happens.

• Like 1

Just now, lowlandsnow said:

I wonder if ice would start to form on the Puget Sound if this plays out

I think in 2008 some places in gig harbor started to freeze. IF (big IF) this verified yeah the potential would be there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

This is feeling better than December 2021 and even February 2019. This might be up there with December 2008 in my life time. Maybe even better. 

The cold in February 2019 went on for 6 weeks.    But if you are talking about coldest temp then definitely.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Some serious bug eyes on that pattern. 🤣

1705417200-CkVxr9wPbx0.png

Different than its 12Z run though... but theme is insane blocking.  

gem-all-namer-z500_anom-5395600 (2).png

• Like 6
  • Shivering 1

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

On what planet? Its skill scores crater into the event horizon past D7. 

Along with every other model past D7 as well. The point is that it craters less than most at that range, particularly with big pattern change events like this one.

So historic cold still on the table according to ICON and GEM. 

Feeling good that the 00z Euro will most likely confirm the GEM or a more realistic version of it and the GFS will either come to its senses 06z or sometime tomorrow. Willing to bet the UKMET will swing right back to the cold solution as well. 

Hopefully within striking distance of locking this event in with model consensus. 

It isn't scientific but I'd like to add that the ICON doesn't like to show snow down here half the time even when it actually does snow. Might be the stingiest model with snowfall. When the 00z ICON shows widespread snow here, something is usually up. 

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_42.png

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, Frontal Snowsquall said:

00z GEM is not backing down at all! 🥶

IMG_2520.thumb.png.52526ee7d33952fde2ca838aa225b098.png

I’m blinded!! 

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Today I bought another sled (toboggan?), a car snow shovel, snow boots for myself and my son, but I was glad to find some thermal underwear for him since it's going to be so cold! Probably won't get to use the snow stuff much in my part of the state but at least it will help us stay warm. I thought about buying some ice melt, but I didn't use the bag last year at all after going through it a bunch in 2020 and 2021's seasons.

• Like 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 minute ago, SpaceRace22 said:

Along with every other model past D7 as well. The point is that it craters less than most at that range, particularly with big pattern change events like this one.

I kind of agree.  The GFS can often be the first to show something big.  Then it seems to lose it when it gets 5 or 6 days out.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, Deweydog said:

496dm thicknesses over the PDX IKEA.

You often refer to faulty teleconnections as the primary culprit in fall-apart modeled patterns. I’ve got a (at best) rudimentary understanding of what you’re referring to but I’d like to know more.  If you have a second, how would you explain that somewhat simplistically (beyond just upstream dynamics)?Thanks.  And what are you seeing in that regard currently?

Also interesting... the 00Z GFS shows the same general pattern by day 10. 

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5449600.png

• Like 7
  • scream 2

As expected the CMC is a huge outlier from its own ensemble mean.

But the 00z GEFS nudged slightly towards the better solution too. Interesting model battle.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Just now, snow_wizard said:

I kind of agree.  The GFS can often be the first to show something big.  Then it seems to lose it when it gets 5 or 6 days out.

Seriously, it's a tale as old as time. Go back through old event threads and it's always the same pattern, lol. The GFS picks it up first, the Euro says hell no. Then the Euro comes on board, and around day 5 or 6 the GFS starts to say "oops nvm". Then within 4 days everybody finally comes into some semblance of agreement and we either complete the rug pull or get our event.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

Also interesting... the 00Z GFS shows the same general pattern by day 10. 

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5449600.png

Was not expecting that!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The 00Z GEFS is almost identical to its operational run on Thursday... which should be a given on day 5.  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5017600.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-5017600.png

2 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

Seriously, it's a tale as old as time. Go back through old event threads and it's always the same pattern, lol. The GFS picks it up first, the Euro says hell no. Then the Euro comes on board, and around day 5 or 6 the GFS starts to say "oops nvm". Then within 4 days everybody finally comes into some semblance of agreement and we either complete the rug pull or get our event.

Our memories are selective like that. We’re programmed to recognize patterns even if it means creating patterns where they don’t exist.

Verification scores don’t lie. The GFS is absolutely *not* better in the long range. It actually gets worse relative to other guidance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

So historic cold still on the table according to ICON and GEM. 

Feeling good that the 00z Euro will most likely confirm the GEM or a more realistic version of it and the GFS will either come to its senses 06z or sometime tomorrow. Willing to bet the UKMET will swing right back to the cold solution as well. 

Hopefully within striking distance of locking this event in with model consensus. 

It isn't scientific but I'd like to add that the ICON doesn't like to show snow down here half the time even when it actually does snow. Might be the stingiest model with snowfall. When the 00z ICON shows widespread snow here, something is usually up. 

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_42.png

Looks like the UKMET is sticking to the warmer solution, Hopefully the Euro follows the GEM. 18z ensembles were a lot better which is great

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

The 00Z GEFS is almost identical to its operational run on Thursday... which should be a given on day 5.  

gfs-deterministic-namer-z500_anom-5017600.png

gfs-ensemble-all-avg-namer-z500_anom-5017600.png

Ridge looks slightly better on the GEFS.

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3