PNW January 2022, Contact Info for Phil

The Blob

1 minute ago, gusky said:

I honestly don't get why we still put as much faith into the GFS as we do. It's just not very good.

Because is shows more pretty colors! 

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I’m absolutely soaked and freezing cold after 5 hours of walking dogs in this weather. The temperature has steadily been dropping since morning with this rain. Now just below 40 degrees. Feels like we were actually close to some surprise snow in the area this afternoon. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

Interesting…HRDPS actually increases totals for quite a few areas image.thumb.png.00708c84a4cf6e10f1a9b4b0378f3000.png

And decreases my area haha! All of these snow maps are all over the freaking place! 

• Like 2

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

7 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

That was only through 7PM tonight in order to help illustrate my point. Here's through tomorrow morning.

image.png

Most significant reduction in the EPSL. Easterlies picking up?

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

1 minute ago, hawkstwelve said:

Probably because it turns the snow into this for the EPSL tomorrow morning...

1641470400-K49eRTKwrCQ.png

Gross!

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

3 minutes ago, Esquimalt said:

10 inches over my house. Gfs and wrf shows 10 as well. Euro shows 3. Who to believe lol

Go with the EURO. All those models showed about 15-20" here on Monday and we got 4". What it means is you will do pretty well. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Snow starting here.  NWS says this storm for Wenatchee could be the biggest in 25 years.  Maybe a foot for Wenatchee?  

For here, I am guessing 18+ inches.  WRF ensemble mean says 20+.   And that is on top of a 20 inch plus base.  Highest resolution 1.3 k models say 30, but that would break the all time record for here, which is 28 inches, though maybe higher if it started or ended on one side or another or midnight.

http://inlandnorthwestweather.blogspot.com/2022/01/wenatchee-leavenworth-to-get-buried-in.html?m=1

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Most likely downsloping effects, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I've come to find out that east winds are generally a hindrance for snow and not a positive. Sure, it might help us hold on to snow for an extra hour with just the right scenario but more often than not they have screwed us over. Whether it be making the air too dry, or downsloping, or cold air too shallow... Just so many ways that it can hurt instead of help. 

It really depends on the area. I’ve only lived in North Bend for a year but it’s certainly helped more than it’s hurt. Even when we got less precip last February we had massive snow drifts and blizzard conditions. It was a blast. 

1 hour ago, Omegaraptor said:

Sometimes worth remembering that we’re simply farther south and have a warmer climate than say, NW WA.

That doesn't change the fact that it's alarming that we haven't had a sub-freezing high in over 5 years.

Bad news folks...these conditions are gonna keep creeping north by the year...

• Weenie 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

4 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

What causes that warm nose? I thought easterlies were supposed to help us 😂

Not exactly sure... but it happens fairly frequently in the foothills.   I know Andrew has mentioned it happening in his area in the past when his area warms up and Salem is still cold.    Easterlies aren't going to help much tonight given its 28 degrees at Snoqualmie Pass.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, SnowWillarrive said:

What causes that warm nose? I thought easterlies were supposed to help us 😂

@hawkstwelve It's actually looks like southerlies a bit.... Would need to look closer. Weathermodels.com is frustratingly limited. No wind barbs even at 10m view. No 925mb winds either. Honestly a tossup unless someone with a WxBell subscription chimes in with a 925mb wind map at 03z/7pm tonight.

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

Just now, hawkstwelve said:

I'm just so sick and tired of the rain. I'm tired of having to constantly hope and wish for the best outcome in order to score, when it rarely works out. I'm tired of seeing many other areas in the PNW score large winter storm totals while we have to do handstands, cartwheels, and backflips in order to get an inch. I'm just so beyond tired of this climate.

I realize how the above makes me sound considering I'm coming out of a period with 13+ inches and snow cover for a week+ but I'm just done with it all. Ready for a big change.

So, yes, I am being a giant weenie. I'll be the first to admit it. Feel free to throw all the weenies at me.

I agree with everything.  I've lived this nightmare my entire life, make a change now don't wait till your 50 like me. It just gets harder. If you love winter weather like me this area we live in is a nightmare most of the time. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

24 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

I’m absolutely soaked and freezing cold after 5 hours of walking dogs in this weather. The temperature has steadily been dropping since morning with this rain. Now just below 40 degrees. Feels like we were actually close to some surprise snow in the area this afternoon. 

It's a nasty day. Temps are performing close to or a tiny better better than expected down here, which should bode well for northern areas later once the precip rates pick up.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

That was only through 7PM tonight in order to help illustrate my point. Here's through tomorrow morning.

image.png

Ahhh sorry I just saw that map and flipped out without reading. 

28 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Any pics of the dogs? Feels like we may need some puppies around here pretty soon.

• Like 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • scream 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

6 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I'm just so sick and tired of the rain. I'm tired of having to constantly hope and wish for the best outcome in order to score, when it rarely works out. I'm tired of seeing many other areas in the PNW score large winter storm totals while we have to do handstands, cartwheels, and backflips in order to get an inch. I'm just so beyond tired of this climate.

I realize how the above makes me sound considering I'm coming out of a period with 13+ inches and snow cover for a week+ but I'm just done with it all. Ready for a big change.

So, yes, I am being a giant weenie. I'll be the first to admit it. Feel free to throw all the weenies at me.

I totally get it.

Hot Dog Girl GIF

• Like 1
  • Excited 2
  • lol 3
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1
  • scream 1
  • Weenie 2

5 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

Absolutely depends on the area. I should have mentioned that more prominently.

North Bend seems to get the better end of the easterlies deal. More of the positives without the negatives. The same cannot be said for the Maple Valley area based on the past three winters I've experienced here. Jim will be quick to point out that it can definitely help here too (and I have experienced that once or twice) but 98% of the time it has not been a welcome thing here.

Eastern King County suburbs definitely fared better though in this recent round of snow. We are one of the few places with snow still on the ground. 

10 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I hear you.  One of the reasons I moved to Leavenworth.  A good friend has family in Sioux Falls.  They love the area, so many parks.  They do get good snowfalls, but often they come with high winds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Any pics of the dogs? Feels like we may need some puppies around here pretty soon.

I have hundreds of pictures, but shouldn't share them publicly without permission from the owners. I found this one online though. Might help. 

puppy.jpg

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Just now, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

I hear you.  One of the reasons I moved to Leavenworth.  A good friend has family in Sioux Falls.  They love the area, so many parks.  They do get good snowfalls, but often they come with high winds.

I reeeeeaaaaally wish I went to my Cabin up Chumstick for this event. Looks like it's going to be absolutely insane between Plain and Leavenworth. 

12 minutes ago, hawkstwelve said:

I'm with you there. I want a consistent 30+'' of snow a year dang it.

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Just now, KingstonWX said:

I reeeeeaaaaally wish I went to my Cabin up Chumstick for this event. Looks like it's going to be absolutely insane between Plain and Leavenworth. 

Wished I had packed up the family and went to my uncles summer place just up from Orondo on the Columbia River. 

7 minutes ago, Omegaraptor said:

Glad we’re finally seeing a break in the rain soon. If this keeps up at this rate the Marys River is probably going to be up to Reser Stadium in a week or two.

Now you see how terrible it is down here...

46F and pouring all day. Hopefully this helps keep the fires at bay during the coming inferno summer.

• scream 1
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope