February 2022 Observations and Discussions

Grizzcoat

33 minutes ago, ATW said:

Amen! I’m a Conservative and don’t care who knows it. Now hopefully back to weather.

awe, I'm sorry climate and weather that's affecting people who are on here complaining about it hurts your feelings.  Maybe it's more relevant than you thought.   But yes, this is the wrong thread for "politics" and I'll keep them separate from this thread.  

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye said:

It's nice to see all the models this morning going nw and stronger with next week's storm.  A decent soaker with a rumble or two or thunder would be great.  The Euro has a soaker from Texas to Nebraska, which would be good for everyone.

At least there is a chance.  I don't know how long its been to not even see a storm in 10-15 days of the models.  Just a long ways to go, with always a chance it disappears completely.  At this point, any moisture is appreciated.  A slow moving rain/snow storm would be tremendous.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OKwx2k4 said:

After these next 2 cold shots, its basically Cali weather here. Lol.

I think you're right and also continuing to monitor the drought forming in the western fkanks of this sub to the W/SW.

Last of my dnowdrifts melted this morning..

I'm sorry for not being able to get out and photograph and share more. Its beautiful here. Just was unable. Vehicle issues. Anyway. Looking forward to this roller coaster down here. Bound to be some exciting wx in my future.

As posted by my fellow Mitt Peeps, this has been the coldest Jan-Feb since 2014 with not much "thaw" wx mixed in. These kinds of patterns (6+ wks of chill) tend to collapse in dramatic fashion, especially for the Lwr Lakes. Personally, with no current way to make use of our snow, I will be fine with an early torch even if we have more chill following. I'm ready for a taste of spring.

• Like 1

Winter 2023-24 Snow Total = 53.1" (90% Normal Season)  Largest Storm: 12" (1/12-13)   Oct: 0.1 Nov: 2.9 Dec: 7.5 Jan: 31.7 Feb: 6.0 Mar: 4.3 Apr: 0.1

Avg = 59.2"  (Harrison): 2023-24 = 53.1" 

Avg = 45.0"  (KDTW): 2022-23 = 33.5"   2021-22 = 35.6"    

Avg = 49.7"  (KRMY): 2020-21 = 36.2"   2019-20 = 48.0"   2018-19 = 56.1"   2017-18 = 68.3"    2016-17 = 52"    2015-16 = 57.4"    2014-15 = 55.3"    2013-14 = 100.6" (coldest & snowiest in the modern record!)  2012-13 = 47.2"    2011-12 = 43.7"

Legit Blizzards (high winds and dbl digit snows): Feb 2011, Dec 2009, Jan 2005, Dec 2000, Jan 1999, Mar 1998, Nov 1989, Jan 1982, Jan 1978, Jan 1977, Apr 1975, Mar 1973, Jan 1967, Feb 1965, Jan 1918

9 minutes ago, jaster220 said:

As posted by my fellow Mitt Peeps, this has been the coldest Jan-Feb since 2014 with not much "thaw" wx mixed in. These kinds of patterns (6+ wks of chill) tend to collapse in dramatic fashion, especially for the Lwr Lakes. Personally, with no current way to make use of our snow, I will be fine with an early torch even if we have more chill following. I'm ready for a taste of spring.

There are signs that we have 2 weeks of "real" winter left.  Then the pattern may flip for a decent march which means April is gonna be cold and dreary as usual around here.  

• Thanks 1

Next week's storm has to get suppressed a little more than the models are showing right?  Would be fitting here to miss the last one south and the next one north.  I'll welcome the rain or snow either way.  If it cuts,  Ice jams and flooding here we come.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowstorm83 said:

Euro is a big rainer for SE Nebraska, I'd prefer snow but we'll take any kind of moisture lol

Actually looking closer, a lot of it would be sleet/ZR for Omaha/Lincoln. That's gross, so I'm glad this is still a week out. 

Snowfall in Lincoln, NE:

2017-18: 21.4"   2018-19: 55.5"   2019-20: 17.6"   2020-21: 49.4"   2021-22: 5.1" 🤮

Average: 26"

NWS Hastings afternoon disco: 

Finally, models still hint at middle of next week for potentially stronger upper trough to swing into the region from the SW. 12Z EC has shifted N/NW with the low track w/ more QPF/impacts for us, and the overall ensemble mean has incr has well, but inspection of individual members still shows a lot of spread!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tStacsh said:

awe, I'm sorry climate and weather that's affecting people who are on here complaining about it hurts your feelings.  Maybe it's more relevant than you thought.   But yes, this is the wrong thread for "politics" and I'll keep them separate from this thread.  

Seriously?! Feelings not hurt. More disappointment. Thought this would be a fun forum. Must suck having to deal with Patriotic Con Servatives. Bit of advice…don’t be a ***** all of your life. 

• Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, ATW said:

Seriously?! Feelings not hurt. More disappointment. Thought this would be a fun forum. Must suck having to deal with Patriotic Con Servatives. Bit of advice…don’t be a ***** all of your life. 

Stop.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

8 hours ago, East Dubzz said:

Just saw a graphic that Dubuque's 14.6" so far this year is 13" below the average, and 33" less than we had at this point last year. 

Ive long thought Dubuque  would  be a way better town for snow n ice business  like ours. But we have  18.9" so far here.

In 2018/19 I measured  72" on my board which was almost most in Iowa.

Most winters we are between 30 and 50 since I started  this business  in 2008.

For this far south  we usually  do quite well. I suspect  thats because  of southern stream storms that catch Southeast Iowa. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ATW said:

Thanks.  I’ll be ok.  And I enjoy discussing weather on here.  I don’t take things personal.   Most on here are conservative I’m guessing but I don’t really care.  Someone posted and I responded.  I can handle it without getting butt hurt and wanting to leave.  Weather, climate etc like any topic has a lot of opinions but facts are facts and the data doesn’t care about liberal or conservative.   

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, OttumwaSnomow said:

Ive long thought Dubuque  would  be a way better town for snow n ice business  like ours. But we have  18.9" so far here.

In 2018/19 I measured  72" on my board which was almost most in Iowa.

Most winters we are between 30 and 50 since I started  this business  in 2008.

For this far south  we usually  do quite well. I suspect  thats because  of southern stream storms that catch Southeast Iowa. 

Climo is overrated. There have been quite a few years where KC has gotten more snow than Lincoln.

• Like 1

Formerly *ahem*: LNK_Weather, TOL_Weather, FAR_Weather, MSP_Weather, IMoveALot_Weather.

19 hours ago, OKwx2k4 said:

After these next 2 cold shots, its basically Cali weather here. Lol.

I think you're right and also continuing to monitor the drought forming in the western fkanks of this sub to the W/SW.

Last of my dnowdrifts melted this morning..

I'm sorry for not being able to get out and photograph and share more. Its beautiful here. Just was unable. Vehicle issues. Anyway. Looking forward to this rollercoaster down here. Bound to be some exciting wx in my future.

Cali weather has its perks but so does rain and Okla and Tx are both very dry.  
Any thoughts on Spring? 

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

56 minutes ago, gosaints said:

Uffda the long range is looking like curtains to winter for many.  That AO is looking strong

the cold is certainly going away after next week, but doesn't mean winter is over.   I, for one, would wish it so at this point, but still plenty of chances for snow in the plains and the midwest. 

• Like 1

Then meanwhile yet another Blizzard warning for the Red River Valley of the North. Has to be pushing double digits by now for them; just a wonderful winter up there. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Grand Forks ND
1252 PM CST Thu Feb 10 2022

MNZ001-002-004-007-NDZ008-016-027-029-030-111500-
/O.CAN.KFGF.WW.Y.0015.000000T0000Z-220210T2200Z/
/O.NEW.KFGF.BZ.W.0006.220211T0300Z-220211T1500Z/
West Polk-Norman-Kittson-West Marshall-Pembina-Eastern Walsh-
Grand Forks-Steele-Traill-
Including the cities of Crookston, East Grand Forks, Ada,
Twin Valley, Halstad, Hallock, Karlstad, Lancaster, Warren,
Stephen, Argyle, Cavalier, Walhalla, Drayton, Pembina, Neche,
St. Thomas, Grafton, Park River, Grand Forks, Finley, Hope,
Mayville, Hillsboro, Hatton, and Portland
1252 PM CST Thu Feb 10 2022

...BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 9 PM THIS EVENING TO 9 AM CST
FRIDAY...
...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS CANCELLED...

* WHAT...Blizzard conditions expected. Total snow accumulations
  of up to one inch. Winds gusting as high as 55 mph.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest Minnesota and northeast and
  southeast North Dakota.

* WHEN...From 9 PM this evening to 9 AM CST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions as temperatures fall
  rapidly. Widespread blowing snow will significantly reduce
  visibility. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning
  commute. Dangerously cold wind chills as low as 30 below zero
  could cause frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10
  minutes.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Strong north winds combined with falling
  snow will lead to whiteout conditions during the overnight
  period and into Friday morning. These conditions could last into
  early Friday afternoon if snow showers persist.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Travel should be restricted to emergencies only. If you must
travel, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded,
stay with your vehicle.

The latest road conditions for North Dakota can be found at
dot.nd.gov/travel and for Minnesota at 511mn.org, or by calling
5 1 1 in either state.
  • Like 4

Ft. Worth has received only 1.4" of rain since Jan. 1.  

This does not bode well for North Texas if it continues.  The drought will likely intensify and make life a good deal more unpleasant.  

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

1 hour ago, OmahaSnowFan said:

Currently at the high of the day so far and it’s 920pm.

52.7 degrees right now

It's always 50º in southeast Nebraska.  You must have daffodils and other plants growing.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"