August 2023 Weather in the PNW

Cascadia_Wx

5 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Fire north of the border is exploding right now.    Smoke is heading to the NE though so not adding to the WA smoke misery yet.  

CODNEXLAB-GOES-West-local-Kelowna-truecolor-01_56Z-20230820_map_noBar-16-1n-10-100 (1).gif

That’s the Crater Creek fire. South of Keremeos.  Probably pushing 100k acres now.  I think a small portion of it has crossed the border into the USA

Major improvement in AQI for SW Oregon! Going green! Puget Sound is still good and moderate and Portland is also improving shifting from reds to yellows.  We aren't out of the woods yet, as conditions will be not so great tomorrow as well, but today it stayed good for much of the western halves of our states longer than anyone expected.  Unfortunately Eastern Washington and E Oregon are in some nasty circumstances with hazardous conditions in areas.

BC and NW Washington, mainly Whatcom County, will see conditions degrade overnight and into tomorrow.  Already conditions have gotten unhealthy and very unhealthy within the Vancouver Metro and parts of Vancouver Island.  Those levels of nastiness could reach the Seattle metro at times Sunday. The plumes from the hundreds of uncontrollable fires in BC are expected to explode throughout the night and part of the day tomorrow. 

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 12.46.37 AM.png

Before night fell on the Gray Fire in Spokane County, the devastation was significant to the souther portions of the city.  The fire remains at 0% contained as it continues to burn through the night with these brand new photos.  There is a 10% fire line so far. Medical Lake is still under evacuation orders.

64e16643992a3.image.thumb.jpg.a47809a4c8eeda7253c519bfd99b17c7.jpg

Also in Spokane County and partially in Pend Oreille County is Oregon Road Fire which also have Level 3 evacuations in place for over 8,000 people in this rural part of the county. It has torched 8,000 acres so far.

3225ad4e9d1b17373a8fbf67f2ac7c89.jpeg.255463019f5b36b33de872f5865b4a0f.jpeg127bfdbe8d0bc9c29ca2d61ed5091f01.jpeg.268d3608cc5e89611b6709853217fa68.jpeg

Spokane County has declared a State of Emergency as these two major fires burn.  These fires might get a light hit of rain from Hurricane Hilary's aftermath in the coming days.

16 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Major improvement in AQI for SW Oregon! Going green! Puget Sound is still good and moderate and Portland is also improving shifting from reds to yellows.  We aren't out of the woods yet, as conditions will be not so great tomorrow as well, but today it stayed good for much of the western halves of our states longer than anyone expected.  Unfortunately Eastern Washington and E Oregon are in some nasty circumstances with hazardous conditions in areas.

BC and NW Washington, mainly Whatcom County, will see conditions degrade overnight and into tomorrow.  Already conditions have gotten unhealthy and very unhealthy within the Vancouver Metro and parts of Vancouver Island.  Those levels of nastiness could reach the Seattle metro at times Sunday. The plumes from the hundreds of uncontrollable fires in BC are expected to explode throughout the night and part of the day tomorrow. 

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 12.46.37 AM.png

Lots of orange and red in my area on Vancouver Island.  AQI measured just down the street from here is 193.  Smells smoky but I can’t say it bothers my breathing at all.   

1 hour ago, ShawniganLake said:

Lots of orange and red in my area on Vancouver Island.  AQI measured just down the street from here is 193.  Smells smoky but I can’t say it bothers my breathing at all.   

Stay safe out there.  Luckily conditions will improve after tomorrow.  We've been lucky and in the green all day, though it's shifted to moderate now.  I will be curious to see what its like tomorrow when we wake up. 

Man if it were affordable/possible, I’d totally drop out of society and live here as a beach bum. Ordinarily I’d hate this type of climate but the vibe of this place is so different.

1 week and it’s back to all work no play. :( 

51 this morning and smoke filled skies.  I can't smell any low level smoke IMBY yet.

Drove down to Marysville to check out a couple of cars yesterday, and I was surprised (not surprised) by the number of charred areas in the medians and on the shoulders along the freeway.

I *was* surprised by a rather large section along I-5, I think it was near Arlington, that got burned and got close to several businesses along the freeway.  I don't really watch the news so I have no idea when that happened, but looked like it could have gotten really ugly really fast. One of the businesses that caught my eye was a collision repair place, I'll bet that place would have gone off like a roman candle if the flames made it to that building.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Man if it were affordable/possible, I’d totally drop out of society and live here as a beach bum. Ordinarily I’d hate this type of climate but the vibe of this place is so different.

1 week and it’s back to all work no play. :( 

I had a buddy who was part of a group of 4-5 guys that fished Alaska 3-4 months a year then spent the remainder of the year surfing every day in Hawaii and living in a crash pad. 

You could do that...

8 hours ago, SnarkyGoblin said:

lol.  As I said, head in sand.  You can't live without water.

Pretty sure Andrew's statement was intentionally hyperbolic (kinda his thing), but there's no question life is going to be more difficult for everyone due to the warming climate.  It already is for the folks who work outside in your yard during the summer months.

And I push back on silly hyperbole... while recognizing global warming is real.    California is flush with water again.  And the Seattle area has no water issues either.   You don't even know if global warming is actually drier overall... it could be wetter with more extremes.    CA is not unlivable... quite the opposite.   And WA/OR will not be unlivable either.   

Side note... literally no one works on my yard.  Its all us and we are out there even when its warm.  Are you pulling the class card again?   I do know lots of people work outside in the southern US and its not unlivable.   I am pretty sure even with a warming climate... 80s with low humidity most of the summer here will still be manageable to be outside.   Your argument is that the Seattle area weather will be too hard on landscapers and that is why it will be unlivable?     Got it.   Makes perfect sense.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

19 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Really bad today... and the smoke offshore will delay improvement tomorrow when the flow is more strongly onshore.

COD-GOES-West-subregional-Pac_NW.truecolor.20230820.140117-over=map-bars=none.gif

Any relief is going to be temporary since the low is going to pull a ton of smoke offshore over BC and wrap it around and back to us from the southwest. By next weekend I think the smoke will be everywhere and that situation is really hard to get out of. 

Just now, the_convergence_zone said:

Any relief is going to be temporary since the low is going to pull a ton of smoke offshore over BC and wrap it around and back to us from the southwest. By next weekend I think the smoke will be everywhere and that situation is really hard to get out of. 

I am trying to not think about that yet and focusing on the relief that will clear this smoke out.   Also hoping the rain this week can knock down some of the fires east of the mountains and in BC and reduce the problem at the source.  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

51 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

51 this morning and smoke filled skies.  I can't smell any low level smoke IMBY yet.

Drove down to Marysville to check out a couple of cars yesterday, and I was surprised (not surprised) by the number of charred areas in the medians and on the shoulders along the freeway.

I *was* surprised by a rather large section along I-5, I think it was near Arlington, that got burned and got close to several businesses along the freeway.  I don't really watch the news so I have no idea when that happened, but looked like it could have gotten really ugly really fast. One of the businesses that caught my eye was a collision repair place, I'll bet that place would have gone off like a roman candle if the flames made it to that building.

Yep, happened a few weeks ago at Smokey Point. The business owners all had their hoses out doing what they could do save their businesses, between them and the firefighters they were able to save most of the structures, though I believe one outbuilding did burn. Everyone was in shock with how fast the flames moved. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Current view. Though only a very faint smell of smoke. Though my nose still has not recovered from last years COVID so who knows. 

IMG_8046.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

6 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I am trying to not think about that yet and focusing on the relief that will clear this smoke out.   Also hoping the rain this week can knock down some of the fires east of the mountains and in BC and reduce the problem at the source.  

This gives me optimism — potentially multiple rain events in our near future. 

IMG_0760.png

2 minutes ago, the_convergence_zone said:

This gives me optimism — potentially multiple rain events in our near future. 

IMG_0760.png

Yes... and even more chances in southern BC.  

17 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes... and even more chances in southern BC.  

Yay!

Currently 59.9˚F after an overnight low of 54.0˚F.

🔥☁️ is staying overhead for the most part. It is now very thick and this morning is effectively overcast due to it. AQI at the surface is only moderate. It smelled worse of smoke at midnight than it does now.

It's called clown range for a reason.

12 minutes ago, T-Town said:

https://x.com/nwsseattle/status/1693252239681609973?s=46&t=A2KURVV14g2Dihdy2LQ7tQ

Tweets don’t seem to embed for me anymore for some reason. Anyway, that’s an nws smoke forecast for western wa. 

That accurately shows how the smoke just isn’t much reaching the surface in the City of Vancouver.

Much nicer to get passed over when it comes to surface smoke than it does for surface snow!

12 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

That accurately shows how the smoke just isn’t much reaching the surface in the City of Vancouver.

Much nicer to get passed over when it comes to surface smoke than it does for surface snow!

Spoke too soon. Nasty stuff is starting to mix down.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

I saw this last week, was thinking the same thing.

PWS: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAPORTA220

2023-2024 Snow Total: 18" (6 events)

Just now, Slushy Inch said:

Would love it as thunderstorms.

Don't think its convective on this side... just a marine push with some low level precip.    And unfortunately thunderstorms are the last thing we need across the region right now.  

Smoky as hell here and now all smoky inside the house. Just awful.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Noticed the forecast high for SLE is only mid 80s today. Just a few days ago they were calling for mid 90s. Could see a sub 80 high early this week…

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Don't think it’s convective on this side... just a marine push with some low level precip.    And unfortunately thunderstorms are the last thing we need across the region right now.  

I guess that wouldn’t help. Maybe convective later in the week. 

AQI 216 here. Only 64F at the Wuderground station a few blocks away. Cool morning but quite smokey. We were almost out of tissues so I was sent by my spouse and son to our corner grocery store on an errand.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)