November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

1 minute ago, Requiem said:

This isn't the Friday situation-- obviously lots to resolve with that low. This accumulation is solely hit or miss with that wave of moisture arriving tonight.

Yeah I was mostly talking about the trends with that at this point, sorry I should've made it more clear

8 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

warm nose is a bastard.  oh what could've been. Euro/Canadian blend was right after all. Kudos to the NWS last night at least in the Spokane metro area. looking like 6-8"ish will be it for this round, already starting to settle and compact.  mostly melted off driveway where I plowed and trees. They probably didn't need to extend the WSW and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dropped or changed to an Advisory later, secondary and neighborhood streets are a mess

You get warm noses over there too?  I hate those two words.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, Cloud said:

Will the night shift crew cancel this?! Stay tuned for the next episode of "What's going on at the NWS Seattle Center?" 

They will change it to a Winter Storm Warning just to watch our reaction again…Much like last evening! 

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Another model oddity... running the snowfall loop on the ECMWF it looks like the snow is moving from NE to SW today but what is really happening is the cold air is moving south.    

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_3hr_10to1-1669809600-1669842000-1669874400-20.gif

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7am Alaska Airlines flight out of SeaTac to PV Mexico tomorrow morning. What are the odds this is happening?? Lol

Last December we got stuck on the tarmac for 8 hours for a Sea to Orlando flight. Multiple de-icing passes and we got sent back to the gate and canceled after EIGHT HOURS just sitting on the tarmac. Lol.

So I have some PTSD about this. 

--------------------

Sean Nyberg

IG: @SeanNyberg

X:   @SeanNyberg

Facebook: Sean Nyberg

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I don't think that is what happened.   We mixed out entirely earlier today.   The cold air is moving in again from the NW now.

Could well be.  I had checked a few stations near North Bend and it looked like it had stayed pretty cold there.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

I am gonna go with the NWS one and pretend it is snowing when it is not 😂

I’m guessing the NWS coastal radar is picking up a lot more than it should. Those navy colors can mostly be ignored. Radar scope loop. 

84ACE0E3-E415-4447-BB07-5216CD5092A6.gif

3 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

No matter how hard I look I don’t see Arlington mentioned. ☹️

Stanwood is! Just lump yourself in with me since I’m technically a Stanwood address! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Just dropped another half a degree with a decent NE breeze.  The clouds have that really dark it's going to snow for a while look.

• Like 6

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SeanNyberg said:

7am Alaska Airlines flight out of SeaTac to PV Mexico tomorrow morning. What are the odds this is happening?? Lol

Last December we got stuck on the tarmac for 8 hours for a Sea to Orlando flight. Multiple de-icing passes and we got sent back to the gate and canceled after EIGHT HOURS just sitting on the tarmac. Lol.

So I have some PTSD about this. 

I have a flight to Orlando next month, and I am already having visions of this...

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Could well be.  I had checked a few stations near North Bend and it looked like it had stayed pretty cold there.

It was pouring rain and windy here this morning and all the snow fell off the trees.    It was a dramatic change when the south wind took over.   

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

13 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

warm nose is a bastard.  oh what could've been. Euro/Canadian blend was right after all. Kudos to the NWS last night at least in the Spokane metro area. looking like 6-8"ish will be it for this round, already starting to settle and compact.  mostly melted off driveway where I plowed and trees. They probably didn't need to extend the WSW and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dropped or changed to an Advisory later, secondary and neighborhood streets are a mess

1.PNG

• lol 3

5 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

indeed,  currently 35 off on light snow to rain/snow mix

if we get a warm front off the columbia basin we get 'nosed.  Low has to pass well south of us to miss the warm front in most situations.  we can beat it down with a strong east to Northeast wind but that didn't hold this time.  ID and north of here will probably avoid it.

If you watch the UW radar loop... you can see the low sinking south off the SW coast of WA and the deformation zone in King County is gradually morphing to the south even as moisture pumps in from the SW.  The northern extent is fading in favor places to the south... in line with the low sinking south offshore.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Sick 1

Snow was/is coming down (heavy mix earlier, but lighter now) here near the Auburn airport, more or less at sea level. Temp has dropped almost 10 degrees in the last 2 hours. My view of the west hill of Auburn/Federal Way from my window here at work is obscured but it seems that I can see some white peeking through the wall of precip.

Here's the Auburn Airport weather station link to reference
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KWAAUBUR76?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

12 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

If you watch the UW radar loop... you can see the low sinking south off the SW coast of WA and the deformation zone in King County is gradually morphing to the south even as moisture pumps in from the SW.  The northern extent is fading in favor places to the south... in line with the low sinking south offshore.

No not acceptable Tim. Not at all.

• Sad 1

40 and drizzling 🙄

• Weenie 3

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just watched Snyder’s video. He seems on board with snow happening farther north than modeled!

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

@snow_wizard

I know you track NB temperatures... and wanted to let you know the circled station is always wrong and too low by about 8 degrees and has been that way for a long time (more than a year).    Just to make you feel a little better.     👍

nb 11-30.png

• Like 1

Just now, Weiner Warrior said:

Just moved to Cougar Hills in Bellevue.

I grew up right near there (Lakemont area) and this storm has me missing that elevation something fierce. My parents still live there, and they've gotten the goods quite a bit in the last several years.

• Like 2