PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

1 minute ago, Mid Valley Duck said:

1671926400-9OlQDv1blPU.pngThe GEM would be devastating for the Willamette valley. The eastern metro would look like a warzone with the east wind and heavy freezing rain.

Those totals would rival February 2021 in some places. And it looks winder here too.

I'm in the west Portland Metro (Bethany, just west of the west hills) and we get an accelerated east wind off of the west hills. The WRF-GFS is showing 50-55mph wind gusts here. That in conjunction with even a bit of ice would be damaging

• Windy 2
  • Shivering 1

Understanding winds around here when it comes to situation like this a bit more this morning and why the track of this low was important. Winds from the north funnels through the Puget sound but then have to split between the Strait and Sound. No such split needed for the southerlies. Can obviously see why the Euro was aggressive with the southern punch. It just didn’t punch enough.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Seems like models are back to showing a faster warmup but that's probably overdone. Mark Nelsen thinks we'll stay frozen until Christmas eve

I notice even the models that warm us up to near/above freezing by late Friday or Saturday keep us in the 30s or low 40s until the day after Christmas. Which tells me they are seeing gorge influence hanging on since the upper levels would dictate much warmer temps at that point. But it’s very possible they are overstating the quick moderation of said gorge influence.

• Like 4

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

13 minutes ago, TeacherLori said:

That was epic. I remember teaching that year and telling the kids on a Tuesday (I believe) before break to take everything home because I had a feeling that they wouldn't be returning, and sure enough, that was it for the year.

Does this really feel the same?

This similar as for today but not for the overall event as this one will be much more short lived. 

6 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Good chance for a 1-2 hour burst of snowfall for a lot of areas that have had all rain this morning. I thought it would take until 10am for things to cool off at BFI it’s coming quick. Shame I have to go to work in 40 minutes in Milton lol. Will probably see some snow at work!

I’m not sure precip will last that long, unfortunately.

@RentonHillTC @Forum Admin YOU SEEING THIS DOWNTOWN???!!!?? ❄️❄️❄️❄️

• Like 4

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

2 minutes from my old place. Holy crap that's some insane rate!

image.png

• Like 6

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

3 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

if it heads straight east from there I would assume quite an i-90 convergence zone afterwards...ya?

Don't think so in this case... models have not shown that happening at all.    Probably because there won't be a north/south wind battle zone with cold air moving south behind the low.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, Ziess said:

Help me understand this, if there's down sloping and 30mph winds out of the east how the heck is that arm nose in Clackamas county going to happen at the surface? 

The surface winds down there will switch to southerlies. The east winds will still be blasting from the Gorge but just won’t be able to reach that area at the surface. So they will be able to thaw out faster.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doinko said:

PDX is still at 36

I’m guessing they will see a bump to mid to upper 40s once things switch to southerly this afternoon. Hopefully will cool back into the 30s in short order this evening though.

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

It is absolutely nuking and puking snow. When do we expect the precip to end? I'd say it's snowed about an inch since starting.

• Like 5

2022-23 Winter:

11/29: .25" + 1" = 1.25" | 11/30: .25"

12/2: .2" + .5" = .7" | 12/3: .2" | 12/4: trace

12/18: .4" | 12/19: .2" + .8" = 1.0" | 12/20: .2 + 1.5" = 1.7

1/31: trace | 2/14: trace | 2/22: .2 | 2/26: 1.0"

Total: 6.7"

What on earth. It was 40 degrees in Puyallup with moderate rain. Get to lower Queen Anne, and it was 40 and raining. I walk from the parking garage to my office. Rain.

Get to my desk. 39 degrees and absolutely dumping snow. Dumping. And now I see a WWA for up to 3 inches? 

I have no idea if I should drive back home or what. 

• Like 2