Also want to say, when this all unfolded in the models two weeks ago, we kind of laughed it off like it was never going to happen. But it did. And the gfs led the way 80% of the time. It skewed off here and there but in the end it was the closest to reality. If that high in the eastern pacific would’ve held on a little stronger and a little longer, man, this would’ve been an all time air mass that rivaled any in the last 100 years. Yet it was t seen anywhere close to us two weeks ago. Crazy what SSW’s can do. From what I hear, another one is suppose to happen on the 24th. 

• Like 4
  • Popcorn 1

5 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

The Weather.com output for Woodland. This is actually possible given the ratios at those temps. NWS 1-3 inch forecast there will bust terribly.

image.png.bffff3d3033a4fe7be914af2a7226907.png

I feel like Weather.com is usually pretty good with their snow totals. At least IMBY.

• Like 5

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 51

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

3 minutes ago, High Desert Mat? said:

Also want to say, when this all unfolded in the models two weeks ago, we kind of laughed it off like it was never going to happen. But it did. And the gfs led the way 80% of the time. It skewed off here and there but in the end it was the closest to reality. If that high in the eastern pacific would’ve held on a little stronger and a little longer, man, this would’ve been an all time air mass that rivaled any in the last 100 years. Yet it was t seen anywhere close to us two weeks ago. Crazy what SSW’s can do. From what I hear, another one is suppose to happen on the 24th. 

I’m still waiting for the 18 inches of snow that the GFS promised me this weekend…maybe it meant 0.18 inches? 

• Like 2
  • lol 2

EUG down to 39F still 41F in Springfield.

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 minute ago, High Desert Mat? said:

This air mass reminds me of 1988 or 1989. I worked at Fred Meyer's and remembered hearing Alaska having temperatures -50° degrees and it was heading to the PNW. I went on my lunch and drove home (I didn't live that far away) and passed a temperature sign. It said it was 35 degrees and when I drove passed it again to get to work, it was down to 27. By the time I got off work, it was 15 degrees with a very strong East wind. This Arctic Air is similar to what happened then.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cold Snap said:

I feel like Weather.com is usually pretty good with their snow totals. At least IMBY.

Yeah it is pretty decent for an automated solution. IBM/Weather Company run some proprietary model to generate their forecasts. IBM also owns the GRAF model but I don't think that is what is getting used on weather.com. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Sorry to hear about the passing of your godfather.  One of my brothers passed away in September in South Georgia, so I had the opposite problem....wearing a black suit and tie in 95-98 temps was absolutely brutal.

On the topic of the cold being more bearable, I always like to say "you can add layers to keep warm in the cold, but when it's hot, there is only so much nakedness you can achieve before the neighbors call the cops on you"

Condolences to your family. 😔

It’s been quite a roller coaster for our past 3 years or so. As some of you know, I shared my mom’s passing couple years ago and then last year (2023) alone we had more passings. 2 of my uncles from Portland who are relatively young and healthy just suddenly passed, then my cousin from California. Then recently my godfather. All in a span of less than 6 months. 😳

• Sad 4

52 minutes ago, AbbyJr said:

@Phil

If I recall correctly, a while back you said that February is a write off for PNW cold. However, do you still think so or has your opinion changed since we are now expecting another SSW event?

Odds against a cold Feb, however this week is a good example of how fluky timing in pattern forcings can lead to fluky regional weather patterns. Not impossible that could happen in Feb as well.

• Like 3
  • Popcorn 2

-12F this is cool but I would probably sleep better if it would warm just a bit more so my pipes don't freeze.

• Like 3

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

I find it a little intriguing how many GEFS ensemble members want us to go arctic again around the 19th. Could just be noise, but worth watching.

IMG_8820.png

Chance is there. Just need undercutting not to mess things up

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

The 00z RRFS really amping up the totals for almost the whole PDX metro now. This is double what the 18z had in most spots, and 3x what its 12z run had.

rrfs_a-portland-total_snow_10to1-5320000.png

Around 5". The outliers are coming into agreement with the model consensus.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Is it cold enough to do the boiling water toss freezing trick?

Need at least -20F or so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

6 minutes ago, RayRay said:

Is it cold enough to do the boiling water toss freezing trick?

Kayla yes! Rest of us probably not quite yet. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!